Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #106
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I certainly don't share your opinion either. I rarely buy Amazon books yet I read primarily on a Kindle. I've tried Kobo and Nook but neither company has the infrastructure in place to beat Amazon.
+1.

I own a PW2 and an Aura (among others). From time to time I'll go back to the Aura because I love its design, and the versatility it allows with fonts, but after a while I always go back to the PW2 because the possibility of emailing ebooks to it is just priceless. And like you Josie I very seldom buy Kindle books, so I am not a "prisoner of the system" as so many like to describe us.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #107
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although it's not officially stated, many PW2s are now shipping with 4GB storage space rather than 2GB.
This is interesting news.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #108
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I buy from Amazon and Kobo and my reader of choice is Kindle PW2. I actually prefer to buy with Amazon because I can buy and use gift cards instead of keeping a credit card on file. I have yet to see(in the U.S.)a Kobo gift card. I also like the fact that I can return e books at Amazon if my youngest daughter grabs my kindle and makes unwanted purchases. I am sure that I could call Kobo and do the same, but the convenience of having a quick button to press instead of a long wait on the phone is wonderful.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #109
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I rarely buy Amazon books yet I read primarily on a Kindle.
So out of curiosity, where do you get your books?

Or is this a case of you buying from other vendors and then stripping out the DRM and converting them to Mobi?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #110
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
According to Kobo's website, the only place you can get a physical Kobo gift card in the US is Fry's Electronics.

I've enjoyed using Kobo's electronic gift cards. (To be fair, not sure if they're available in the US. I'm Canadian.) It means I only have to do Paypal once if I'm buying a number of books. (Which I did last week, as I had an exceptionally lucky run on Kobo's latest trivia contest and ended up with 4 65% off coupons...)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #111
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Because Amazon doesn't always offer the lowest or most competitive price, and they have, on occasion, tried to strong-arm authors and publishers by selling their books at much higher prices than competitors. Besides, fostering healthy competition is a good thing for consumers.

At any rate, I originally said, "In my opinion, the only reason to go with Kindle is if you really like the idea of getting all of your books from Amazon." You apparently fall into that category, so for you, a Kindle makes the most sense, but not everybody shares your opinion.
I know its not the case everywhere but my point is that, for many people Amazon usually does always offer the lowest and most competitive prices. Therefore, for them it's hardly a better choice to buy an epub reader.

I don't personally buy from Amazon because I like the idea of getting all my books from them. I buy from them because 90% of the time they are cheaper or the same price, plus their highly regarded customer service, plus the fact the shopping experience at Amazon is better than the epub retailers available to me, like Kobo/WH Smith, Waterstones, Google Play, sainsburysebooks, etc.

Competition is healthy though, you are right about that, which is why I still look at these other shops even if I do mostly end up going back to buy from Amazon.

As for the stuff about strong-arming publishers....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #112
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
As for the stuff about strong-arming publishers....
Go ahead and laugh.

Amazon actively discourages customers from buying from certain publishers and authors

"Among Amazon’s tactics against Hachette, some of which it has been employing for months, are charging more for its books and suggesting that readers might enjoy instead a book from another author. If customers for some reason persist and buy a Hachette book anyway, Amazon is saying it will take weeks to deliver it.

"The scorched-earth tactics arose out of failed contract negotiations. Amazon was seeking better terms, Hachette was balking, so Amazon began cutting it off. Writers from Malcolm Gladwell to J. D. Salinger are affected, although some Hachette authors were unscathed."

Are you still laughing?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #113
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Go ahead and laugh.

Amazon actively discourages customers from buying from certain publishers and authors

"Among Amazon’s tactics against Hachette, some of which it has been employing for months, are charging more for its books and suggesting that readers might enjoy instead a book from another author. If customers for some reason persist and buy a Hachette book anyway, Amazon is saying it will take weeks to deliver it.

"The scorched-earth tactics arose out of failed contract negotiations. Amazon was seeking better terms, Hachette was balking, so Amazon began cutting it off. Writers from Malcolm Gladwell to J. D. Salinger are affected, although some Hachette authors were unscathed."

Are you still laughing?
I'm laughing like crazy...Try reading some other sources for your information. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-human-shields
http://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...tailers-ebooks
http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazo...ute-1404840227

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #114
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep the.Mtn.Man, I'm laughing right along with shalym.

I like some balance to my news before I try to decide who is the villain of the piece!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #115
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Well let's see here...

From NPR: "A number of Hachette authors have publically criticized Amazon for the company's role in the dispute, and writers from Hachette and other houses have created a group called Authors United to find a 'long-term strategy' for combating Amazon."

From The Guardian: "Hachette authors from Stephen Colbert to James Patterson have demanded Amazon to negotiate in good faith."

I can't access the Wall Street Journal article without a subscription, but to make up for it, here's another story from The Guardian:

"According to book industry bible the Bookseller, to whom UK publishers spoke on condition of anonymity, Amazon is putting publishers under 'heavy pressure' to introduce new terms. The Bookseller reports that these include the proviso that 'should a book be out of stock from the publisher, Amazon would be entitled to supply its own copies to customers via its print-on-demand facilities', and that 'books cannot be sold for a lower price than Amazon's anywhere, including on a publisher's own website'.

"The Bookseller's editor Philip Jones said the ongoing negotiations 'indicate a direction of travel that would see [Amazon] take a sizeable control over both a publisher's inventory and its marketing', and that 'publishers spoken to – and obviously they will only speak on condition of complete anonymity – have every right to be concerned. This is a form of assisted suicide for the book business...' "

Yes, let's all laugh at how Amazon is using strong-arm tactics to stifle competition. Simply hilarious. I especially like the part where publishers aren't allowed to sell their books at a lower price elsewhere. This could explain the phenomenon that soulfuldog noticed when he said that "Amazon usually does always offer the lowest and most competitive prices."

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 07-29-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please take discussions of the ongoing dispute between Amazon and Hachette to the (several) existing threads on the topic (mainly in the "News" forum). It is not appropriate for this thread.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #117
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
So out of curiosity, where do you get your books?

Or is this a case of you buying from other vendors and then stripping out the DRM and converting them to Mobi?
No I am very lucky that the genre I read (romance) has lots of independent publishers such as Dreamspinner press, Samhain Publishing, Totally Bound, and they sell ebooks direct, DRM free, and most provide all multiple formats for one purchase, plus the genre has it's own 'retailer' AllRomance which also sells the same books as the publisher, plus it's where self published books are sold. All this in addition to Amazon. The only time I tend to buy Amazon books is where the book is part of KDP then Amazon is the only place, but that it rare as it locks out AllRomance.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 AM   #118
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, let's all laugh at how Amazon is using strong-arm tactics to stifle competition. Simply hilarious. I especially like the part where publishers aren't allowed to sell their books at a lower price elsewhere. This could explain the phenomenon that soulfuldog noticed when he said that "Amazon usually does always offer the lowest and most competitive prices."
I'm not getting involved with the discussion but on a personal level I would always buy a DRM free book elsewhere over Amazon's, regardless of price. I.e I'll happily pay more elsewhere.

I love the readers, I love the infrastructure but I hate DRM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm not getting involved with the discussion but on a personal level I would always buy a DRM free book elsewhere over Amazon's, regardless of price. I.e I'll happily pay more elsewhere.

I love the readers, I love the infrastructure but I hate DRM.
The decision as to whether or not a book has DRM lies entirely with the publisher. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #120
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The decision as to whether or not a book has DRM lies entirely with the publisher. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon.
I don't get that comment Harry. If I buy a Dreamspinner book from Amazon it has DRM, if I buy it from Dreamspinner or AllRomance it doesn't, so how did the DRM get there?

Aren't all Amazon books DRM'd, and if not how can I tell the ones that aren't and convert them to ePub?