Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Diagram Prize for the Oddest Book Title of the Year

The annual Diagram Prize for the Oddest Book Title of the Year was announced last February 22. The winner will be announced on March 22, 2013.

For a list of current entries for 2013, as well as entries from 2012 (perhaps a better vintage of odd), see below.

Was Hitler Ill?, by Henrik Eberle and Hans-Joachim Neumann (Polity).

Goblinproofing One’s Chicken Coop, by Reginald Bakeley (Conari).

How Tea Cozies Changed the World, by Loani Prior (Murdoch).

Lofts of North America: Pigeon Lofts, by Jerry Gagne (Foy’s Pet Supplies).

How to Sharpen Pencils, by David Rees (Melville House).

God’s Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis, by Tom Hickman (Square Peg).

A Century of Sand Dredging in the Bristol Channel: Volume Two, by Peter Gosson (Amberley).

Cooking with Poo, by Saiyuud Diwong (Urban Neighbours of Hope) ("Poo" is Thai for "crab" and is also Diwon's nickname).

Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World, by Aino Praakli (Kirjastus Elmatar).

The Great Singapore Penis Panic and the Future of American Mass Hysteria, by Scott D Mendelson (Createspace).

Mr Andoh's Pennine Diary: Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge, by Stephen Curry and Takayoshi Andoh (Royd Press).

A Taxonomy of Office Chairs, by Jonathan Olivares (Phaidon).

The Mushroom in Christian Art, by John A Rush (North Atlantic Books).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Those sound great! I'm not sure I'd read any of them, but I'd sure love to browse them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sorry to sound a negative note, but this is another example of how standards are falling in the book world. I mean, when I was young, we had really odd book titles. I'm thinking of such classics as The Book of Marmalade: Its Antecedents, Its History, and Its Role in the World Today, by Anne Wilson. Not to mention Gareth Williams's Developments in Dairy Cow Breeding: New Opportunities to Widen the Use of Straw.

Compared to these, a title about pigeon lofts in North America is positively ordinary. As for How to sharpen pencils, I mean what else would you call a book about how to sharpen pencils?

I blame the decline on the growth of e-readers and self-publishing. And of course DRM.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Sorry to sound a negative note, but this is another example of how standards are falling in the book world. I mean, when I was young, we had really odd book titles. I'm thinking of such classics as The Book of Marmalade: Its Antecedents, Its History, and Its Role in the World Today, by Anne Wilson. Not to mention Gareth Williams's Developments in Dairy Cow Breeding: New Opportunities to Widen the Use of Straw.

Compared to these, a title about pigeon lofts in North America is positively ordinary. As for How to sharpen pencils, I mean what else would you call a book about how to sharpen pencils?

I blame the decline on the growth of e-readers and self-publishing. And of course DRM.

Mike
I must admit I've always had a soft spot for the Amazon bestseller The Seaweed Book: How to Find and Have Fun with Seaweed
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The Mushroom in Christian Art, by John A Rush (North Atlantic Books).
Someone's dissertation or thesis, perhaps?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Someone's dissertation or thesis, perhaps?
Is the Author an Haight Asbury wanna be? Magic Mushrooms
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
But.. but..

Goblinproofing One’s Chicken Coop, by Reginald Bakeley

The How-To book you didn't know you needed! I mean, I don't have chickens or a coop, but I do have a flock of wild ducks and a toolshed. Would it work for that? I have enough backyard stress with the random wild pig or alligator showing up. Don't need goblins on top of that.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop is the only complete manual on how to identify, track, defend, and destroy those bothersome brownies, goblins, dwarves, scheming flower-fairies, and other nasty members of the fairy realm."

sounds like a useful book for just about anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
But.. but..

The How-To book you didn't know you needed! I mean, I don't have chickens or a coop, but I do have a flock of wild ducks and a toolshed. Would it work for that? I have enough backyard stress with the random wild pig or alligator showing up. Don't need goblins on top of that.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
How Tea Cozies Changed the World, by Loani Prior (Murdoch).
I'm actually quite upset that I might have missed this exciting development. I'm now feeling about as sadly irrelevant as a traditional publishing house.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
"Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop is the only complete manual on how to identify, track, defend, and destroy those bothersome brownies, goblins, dwarves, scheming flower-fairies, and other nasty members of the fairy realm."

sounds like a useful book for just about anyone!
I bet not a single purchaser has ever had any more problems with goblins goblin chickens.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
I bet not a single purchaser has ever had any more problems with goblins goblin chickens.
Which certainly aught to prove its effectiveness in dealing with the problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
But.. but..

At last! A reason why the chicken crossed the road that makes sense!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
At last! A reason why the chicken crossed the road that makes sense!
Well! It's certainly on MY bookshelf!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mr Andoh's Pennine Diary: Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge sounds like a good read to me, if only to solve the mystery: what is a Japanese Chicken Sexier doing in Hebden Bridge in 1935? Apart from sexing chickens I mean. Espionage? I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My mother grew up in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia where raising chickens is still the livelihood for many. Chicken sexer was a highly coveted job requiring fine motor skills and it paid well.

I actually own Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World as I knit socks for relaxation and to wear and give away.

How Tea Cozies Changed the World is my vote for odd title of the year.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote