Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Fog123
Fog123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Typical Kobo Touch battery life?

Hi,

What are people's typical battery life with the Kobo Touch?

Bought a Kobo Touch early November. I'm really enjoying it for the most part but have a question about the typical battery life. I have it on 5 minute sleep mode and rarely connect to the Internet with it. I'm using the latest software update (the silly one that needs a double tap to delete books and is trying to introduce ads on my home screen).

It seems that I get about 25 hours of reading time on a single charge and maybe about 3000 page turns (each actual page seems to count as two page turns). I've only been able to track this twice as most of the time I'm connecting to the computer to download library books in between full charges and discharges. It seizes up at the 30% mark but I've read that gets better as the Kobo gets used more and more.

I've contacted Kobo about this and they've indicated that it's a bit low and have suggested that I return the unit. However, they're only offering to inspect it and if they determine that it's not defective or within the scope of the warranty they'll send it back or charge me $60 if it is damaged but not within the scope of the warranty. It appears that batteries are not covered within the warranty so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks in advance.
Fog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
That doesn't sound too bad. I don't actually know how many hours I get but I know that I get about 8 days of good reading per charge (At about 2h a day) so that's like 16 hours with only sleeping at night with WiFi on. With WiFi off and sleeping in the day I think I get about 10 days.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I fully charged my Kobo Touch Xmas day and I charged it for the first time the weekend of Jan 14th/15th. I used it pretty much every dayfor a good half hour to an hour.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
It also takes a bit for the battery to start fully working. I read about 2-3 hours a day during the week, and maybe 5-10 hours on the weekends... I used to recharge every 2 weeks or so for the first few months... but recently (with the same reading habits), my KT lasts for a good month. And I never turn it off either, it's usually in sleep mode.

I also almost never use the wifi... it's kept in airplane mode unless I need to upgrade.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

I use mine pretty much every day for about 20-40 minutes. I haven't charged mine in at least 3 weeks and I'm still showing just under 50% battery. My Wifi pretty much never gets used and I tend to power it off instead of going to sleep mode.

Definitely nothing but positive reviews of the battery life on my part.

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've heard someone mention elsewhere on this forum that if you have an SD card installed the charge doesn't last as long since each time you start your KT from power-off mode it goes to check through the SD card using some power. Also understandably, the more files you have on the card the more power it consumes each time.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

I've done a full charge on Xmas eve and only charged again around 22/01, reading more than 40 hours of reading between those two dates (some 5000 page turns). I have configured to auto sleep after 15 minutes and to power off after 45 minutes (which is pretty useful for me, since I generally have three reading periods during the day).
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
All my books are on my SD card and I get around 3 weeks out of a charge I guess.
I read on the average about 2 hours a day I guess.
The hours vary a lot tho, today I spent about 6 hours reading (on a Sunday), but yesterday only a couple of hours, during the week, probably less, say between and hour and 2 hours.

I go through books pretty fast though so it spends some time connected to to PC to load books. Whilst it's connected it's charging, so I expect that increases the charge life a bit maybe. But then again it only spends say 5 mins connected, so I dunno.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
chuckie30
chuckie30 began at the beginning.

Hello everyone, I was given a kobo touch at the end of september.(brand new) in the first four weeks I was charging it weekly, after getting in touch with KOBO, they told me it was not typical battery life. In due course I sent it to them and they replaced it with a new one. Excellent customer service I felt.
However I have had the new one for almost two weeks. I charged it the day it arrived and had to charge it again 5 days later and its now only showing half battery(its 4 days since the last charge). I never leave it to go to sleep, always slide the switch over to put it to sleep. Wifi is off.
I read an hour or two per day during the week and probably more than double that on the weekends.
Seeing that some Kobo touch owners get a month, maybe they should give reading time for the battery life? What am I doing differently to them?
chuckie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie30 View Post
However I have had the new one for almost two weeks. I charged it the day it arrived and had to charge it again 5 days later and its now only showing half battery(its 4 days since the last charge). I never leave it to go to sleep, always slide the switch over to put it to sleep. Wifi is off.
I read an hour or two per day during the week and probably more than double that on the weekends.
Seeing that some Kobo touch owners get a month, maybe they should give reading time for the battery life? What am I doing differently to them?
Reading time which is given in marketing statements is, to my opinion, 30 days at half an hour a day, so approximately 15 hours. My experience tells me it's more than 15 hours, but from what I have heard it depends on multiple variables: Wifi, how many times is the device switched on/off, how long has it been in sleeping mode...

Also, my device is very fast decreasing it's battery-life from 100% to approximately 75%, but after that it's decreasing more or less slow to 10%, after which I get the 'you can't read anymore, charge your device'-message very fast. Anyhow, it gives me about 30 to 40 hours of reading on a charge, I think. I put it to sleep, if I'm planning to read again that day, but if I'm planning to not read again till the next day, I put it off.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote