Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Windows 8 Tablets

I don't have enough friends, colleagues, clients, ... to build a valid database.
But my (limited) personal experience clearly says:
Never has been such immense interest in tablets as with the arrival of Windows 8 tablets.
Of course, in 2010 when it all started with the iPad 1, there was enormous interest. For example I had to demonstrate lots of times the difference in glare or display quality between Kindle DX Graphite and iPad 1.
But now, with Windows 8, suddenly people approach me who never did show any interest before.
I guess, Windows tablets don't have the feel of gadgets, they are considered more of a productive business tool.
And the prices suddenly are competitive as well.
So: Shouldn't we have a specific Windows 8 (Pro + RT) tablet section in the forums? I for one definitely would be very interested..
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
So: Shouldn't we have a specific Windows 8 (Pro + RT) tablet section in the forums? I for one definitely would be very interested..
The question would be, how many of the people interested in Win 8 tablets are interested in using them for reading?
And are there enough that they can't just use the alternative devices forum instead?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm not at all interested in Windows hardware, but I'm with you and agree that it deserves its own forum under eReaders.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The question would be, how many of the people interested in Win 8 tablets are interested in using them for reading?
I'm with you.
If someone mainly is focusing on reading, he probably will buy tablets in the range of € 200. Kindle Fire, Kobo Arc, Nexus 7 or something like that.
Spending € 600 just for a reader is a bit extreme.
So the main purpose of Windows 8 tablets most likely will be business driven: Office, Outlook and such.
But if one has his tablet with him on a trip and it's light and convenient enough, reading probably will be a nice add-on.
If I look at the discussions around Microsoft Surface RT, maybe 50% of the questions had been around Kobo, Zinio and Kindle apps...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm not at all interested in Windows hardware...
I'm exactly the opposite.
For now, I've lost all interest in Android tablets. (*)
Not quite so in iPad, I have to admit. I'd definitely buy an iPad mini with Retina display (although I'm perfectly fine already with my existing iPad mini).

(*) This doesn't apply for modified versions, such as Nook HD+ or Kindle Fire HD = focusing on reading and dedicated book stores. But for "standard" Android tablets I don't see the need for now. I can do all the same on my Surface RT - and so much more...

But maybe that's just the "new" factor and will be wearing off in 3 months...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Specifically Win 8? No. But as we have Android Devices forum and Apple Devices forum, a Windows Devices forum would fit. Not for Win 8, though, but all reading on any Windows system. Tablets, phones, laptops, desktops.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Specifically Win 8? No. But as we have Android Devices forum and Apple Devices forum, a Windows Devices forum would fit. Not for Win 8, though, but all reading on any Windows system. Tablets, phones, laptops, desktops.
+1
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
This sounds most appropriate.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I agree 100%.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
This seems to be a perfectly reasonable suggestion to me.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm with CW Nash on this one.
I Think there will be a distinct need for knowledge on these devices including their respective Kindle, Nook and Kobo apps (as well as other e-Reader apps).
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it a need that isn't satisfied by the existing forum?

Alternative Devices
Handhelds, ultra-mobile PCs, media players, and other portables that could work as e-book readers
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Is it a need that isn't satisfied by the existing forum?

Alternative Devices
Handhelds, ultra-mobile PCs, media players, and other portables that could work as e-book readers
All information now is spread over more or less all sub forums: News, General Discussions, Which One Should I Buy?, ...
If you search for "Surface Pro", you get sheer endless links "in all directions" instead of having a clear structure.
If I look around me, there are way more people using Windows (not just for reading, but for Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions and such) than "Onyx Boox" or "Bookeen" (both existing sub forums) for example.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
All information now is spread over more or less all sub forums: News, General Discussions, Which One Should I Buy?, ...
If you search for "Surface Pro", you get sheer endless links "in all directions" instead of having a clear structure.
Isn't that equally (if not more so) true about Kindles and iPads?
(And to a lesser extent Nooks, Kobos, ...)

Quote:
If I look around me, there are way more people using Windows (not just for reading, but for Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions and such)
You aren't suggesting that Calibre discussion be moved to a Windows forum rather than the existing Calibre forums?
Calibre is not a Windows-only tool.

Quote:
than "Onyx Boox" or "Bookeen" (both existing sub forums) for example.
There are certainly forums that don't today really justify their existance, and could be moved to the 'More E-Book Readers' area. That isn't a good reason to create new ones, until there is reason to need them.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Ah murraypaul....your just a Windows hater...come on, give us a fair spot - we're people too - we deserve a place, even if we are only 10% of the population on MR - don't hate us because of the colors on our start screen!! lol
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote