Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
viggen
viggen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Book download question

Ive had my NT for about a year now and have just switched to running an N2A (Jellybean) card. I am liking that I am able to run it like an android device, which I am used to. I have one question though. I have a bunch of Nook books in my library that I would like to have on my tablets memory. I have the Nook android application but I dont want to, and sometimes wont be able to, sign in to B&N to read one of my books. Can I download them from the B&N website as a file and then upload them onto the memory of my NT and then read it with a different reader? Im trying to take ownership (in a way) of the books that I have bought over the year for better, non internet access (as it was when I was only running the B&N NT software. I have done this with books I have downloaded through Google. Just want to know if its possible through B&N.

Thanks
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
I have the Nook android application but I dont want to, and sometimes wont be able to, sign in to B&N to read one of my books.
You don't need to be able to sign in to B&N to read with the Nook app. Once a book is downloaded it sits on your device ready for reading whether you're online or not.

Quote:
Can I download them from the B&N website as a file and then upload them onto the memory of my NT and then read it with a different reader?
Yes, there are other reader apps that support B&N's version of Adobe's DRM. Off the top of my head Mantano, Aldiko and BlueFire all support this.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
viggen
viggen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
[QUOTE=AnemicOak;2407307]You don't need to be able to sign in to B&N to read with the Nook app. Once a book is downloaded it sits on your device ready for reading whether you're online or not.

Yes, there are other reader apps that support thatsB&N's version of Adobe's DRM. Off the top of my head Mantano, Aldiko and BlueFire all support this.[/QUOTE

That's just it, I do have to be signed in. I'm sitting in the vets office right now and want to continue reading a book I downloaded a couple days ago. I click on the Nook app and it asks for me to sign in. I cannot because there is no wifi. How can I download the book file onto my Nook Tablet so that I can read it with something like Aldiko. I have Aldiko and it reads some books I downloaded through the Google store just fine. It cannot find anything from my B&N store.

I didn't need a wifi signal to read when I was running the stock B&N software. Now that I have it running Android and need to use the Nook app, I no longer have access to the books without wifi signal.
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hmm, never had to sign in to read on a Nook app on Android (other than when it was first being set up) that's strange. I just tested it again on my Nexus 7 with WiFi turned off with a few already downloaded books and they worked fine.

You can either use the Nook4PC software to download books or download them straight from your Nook library on their website. The first time you try and open one of their DRM'd books with a third party ePub reader you'll be prompted to enter your CC# and Name and that should allow you to open the book and read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm with AnemicOak. I've run Android off an SD card as well as putting it on the main memory. I've run the Nook app both ways. I have to sign in right after I install the app, but that's it. All my B&N books are downloaded to memory and I can later open up the Nook app and continue reading in my car or whatever, when I'm not connected to WiFi.

Your other option is to remove the DRM and keep the "open" files on your computer hard drive and copy them to your Nook as you want to read them.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote