Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
mcianca
mcianca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
no credit card USA

Hello I am a new owner of the Kindle Fire and I live in Italy.
I want to download applications from the amazon store but not having a credit card and an address of residence in the United States, and to me this' impossible.
how can I do?
thanks
mcianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Go to www.usunlocked.com, and get a US credit card and a US address there.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
mcianca
mcianca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
thanks but no other method? 'cause I would only download free apps.
mcianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try using a non-US credit card and a US address (e.g. from Google).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That's a really nifty sounding resource. My dad will certainly get some use out of that.

Thanks!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Try using a non-US credit card and a US address (e.g. from Google).
That doesn't work. I use us unlocked too with great success.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
stephenwilks
stephenwilks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard Wi-fi 3G
Visa, but NOT credit card

I live on the other side of the World and bought a K3 with a virtual Visa online payment Card issued by a local bank and used with an internet bank account. No one at Amazon USA has ever queried it. I also use the same with Amazon UK for real books to send to the family. I can download Amazon USA ebooks, and these are be paid with the same.

I think you might even find that a Visa Electron debit card is acceptable. No harm in trying.

I have never used a US address. It would be pointless, since the K3 and its accompanying Amazon US management pages come already configured to work over the wi-fi and mobile phone systems in the country where you are resident. Certainly everything works perfectly well here in this less-developed country, and it will almost certainly work just as well in Italy.

Or am I missing something? (It certainly seems that way most days! ;-)

Last edited by stephenwilks; 01-01-2012 at 05:56 AM.
stephenwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
stephenwilks

Lightbulb Second duhhh!

Having read the original post again, we have to ask macianca WHAT SITE the Kindle Fire was bought from. I'm a UK citizen, but I know that I can't buy Kindle content from the UK site, for my Amazon US-purchased K3. Indeed, the US site sells to the rest of the World, while the UK site only serves the UK itself (and perhaps some other European countries).

And maybe there is another issue here. At the time when the Fire was launched, it wasn't possible for Amazon US to send it to countries in THIS region. I haven't checked recently. Perhaps that is still true for some countries. Perhaps that is the real problem?:
Regards,
Not the Brightest on the Block

Last edited by stephenwilks; 01-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwilks View Post
I live on the other side of the World and bought a K3 with a virtual Visa online payment Card issued by a local bank and used with an internet bank account. No one at Amazon USA has ever queried it. I also use the same with Amazon UK for real books to send to the family. I can download Amazon USA ebooks, and these are be paid with the same.

I think you might even find that a Visa Electron debit card is acceptable. No harm in trying.

I have never used a US address. It would be pointless, since the K3 and its accompanying Amazon US management pages come already configured to work over the wi-fi and mobile phone systems in the country where you are resident. Certainly everything works perfectly well here in this less-developed country, and it will almost certainly work just as well in Italy.

Or am I missing something? (It certainly seems that way most days! ;-)
The problem with this method is when it comes to refunds. If you decide to return a book you purchased, how do you receive the refund? Most virtual cards are one time use only valid for 24 hours.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
stephenwilks

Refunds may be possible

When you buy a K3 in this (remote) country, you have to pay an extra 50 dollars import tax, but they tell you will almost certainly get a partial refund after the shipper has finished all the paperwork. I've already received that refund through money being credited directly back to my account. Admittedly, it took a few weeks - as is always the case in this red-tape ridden country. Indeed, I had a card refund once before (with a different retail site), when I noted that they had billed me for one item too many.

So SOME virtual payment cards CAN be refunded. (Visa ones, perhaps.) I can also query/stop the payments on this account, within 3 days of the financial transaction first proceeding.

If refunds are NOT possible, Amazon might just leave the amount on your account for partial payment of future purchases.

Last edited by stephenwilks; 01-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.