Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm not sure how legible or durable the letters are on them, but you could try a silicone skin like these ones that slip over the entire Kindle, keyboard and all:

M-Edge M-Skin for Kindle 3.
oooh thanks for the idea! Will look into it.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
There are also skins like these Nokeys
http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Sti...rds=nokey+skin

They basically have no cutout for the keyboard, but printed on letters. I can't personally vouch for those. They come in lots of designs.

I had the same crack on my K3 that appeared about a few months into owning it. I got mine when it came out in 2010 August and its still going strong, even with the crack. It just bothered me because my eye kept going to it. I put a decal girl skin on it in matte black wood and its been on ever since and I have no issues with it. The K3 is still going strong, but I am using my Paperwhite more now.

As long as I can't see the crack I don't care I guess. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully my keyboard never faded.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
cathie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
There are also skins like these Nokeys
http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Sti...rds=nokey+skin

They basically have no cutout for the keyboard, but printed on letters. I can't personally vouch for those. They come in lots of designs.

I had the same crack on my K3 that appeared about a few months into owning it. I got mine when it came out in 2010 August and its still going strong, even with the crack. It just bothered me because my eye kept going to it. I put a decal girl skin on it in matte black wood and its been on ever since and I have no issues with it. The K3 is still going strong, but I am using my Paperwhite more now.

As long as I can't see the crack I don't care I guess. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully my keyboard never faded.
Thank you for the link! I put a skin on mine to cover the bevel crack too. Works like a charm. As you say out of sight out of mind. But the fading keyboard is driving me nutty.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #34
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
After much thought I decided to keep my K3 despite the crack. I purchased a skin to protect and keep any dirt & dust out. Perfect.
Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.
Now if only I could solve the problem of the fading letters on my keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions? And no I am not going to call customer services to return it for that. To be fair it is normal wear and tear. I LOVE my K3. And I don't want to part with it for any length of time.
When I had the hairline crack mine also had letters fading. Amazon changed out my K3 and I've not had either problem since. They supposedly changed the way that they put the letters on so they won't wear off. I'd get it exchanged, both the crack problem and fading letters are known manufacturers defects in the earlier K3s and they should replace it.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, early K3 had letters "surface printed" on the keys. Now the letters go "all the way through", and don't wear off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #36
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Just a note for future lurkers: I'm pretty sure the fading keyboard letters only affected the graphite K3s (and not all of them - my son's graphite K3 has the solid lettering, and it was one of the first, pre-ordered batches released).

The white K3s didn't have the fading problem, TMK.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #37
Kilalacat
Kilalacat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Smile My Kindle has a crack in the case

Hello I'm very disappointed in the service Amazon has given me.
My kindle is 13 months old. It's a Kindle 3 with the keyboard. Just recently a crack appeared in the bottom right corner of the screen on the case. I freaked. I've handled this electronic with lots of TLC its my baby. Never dropped, etc. I did some research on it and found out its a common problem with the device.
I contacted kindle's support and all they offered me (cause I was a excellent Amazon customer) was a refurbished kindle that I didn't want for a discounted price of $74 for the basic or $104 for the touch screen 3G.
In my books not fair. My kindle keyboard cost about $170 new (it was a gift from my boyfriend on our anniversary, he put allot of thought in to it knowing I would like this one the best.) Due to the fact that this is a common problem with this kindle they have offered me a horrible deal for their poor cosmetic defect. I don't like seeing the crack and the fact that they wont off a free replacement for mine cause its not available for replacement. So they want me to get one that I don't want thats not even new and pay even more money for it. I shouldn't have to pay for one when the crack isn't even my doing these cracks appear at random times going based on other forums I've read.
If any one can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I hate looking at my kindle trying to read a ebook and all I see is the crack and every time I see it, it appears bigger and it hurts me to see the crack.
I don't like the fact I'm being penalized for their error.
Thank you.
Kilalacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you can do.

I was in the same situation.

My unit was out of warranty, and it appears that your unit is also out of warranty.

I gave mine to my sister. I was actually contemplating throwing it away, since I also lavish TLC on my electronics and couldn't bear the thought of any kind of cosmetic defect.

I wish you luck on the solution your choose that best fits your needs.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #39
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
What a lot of people do is get a nice skin for their k3 to cover the crack.

I see no reason why Amazon should give you a free replacement for an out-of-warranty item. Nobody else does, and that they're offering you discounts on other units is above and beyond the requirements of good customer service. That you want a brand new unit to replace a 13-month-old device seems out of line to me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilalacat View Post
I contacted kindle's support and all they offered me (cause I was a excellent Amazon customer) was a refurbished kindle that I didn't want for a discounted price of $74 for the basic or $104 for the touch screen 3G.
I'm a bit confused (so feel free to clear up my assumptions), but...Amazon offered you the Kindle 3 with Keyboard--the same unit you contacted them about (which they still sell, 3G without special offers for $159) at the discounted price of $74 or the Touch 3G (which they don't carry anymore, so I don't know the regular price) for $104? They're offering to replace an out-of-warranty unit for a cosmetic defect for a reduced price. I'd say that pretty awesome and not something other companies would do.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
They're offering to replace an out-of-warranty unit for a cosmetic defect for a reduced price. I'd say that pretty awesome and not something other companies would do.
+1 to that.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
I'm a bit confused (so feel free to clear up my assumptions), but...Amazon offered you the Kindle 3 with Keyboard--the same unit you contacted them about (which they still sell, 3G without special offers for $159) at the discounted price of $74 or the Touch 3G (which they don't carry anymore, so I don't know the regular price) for $104? They're offering to replace an out-of-warranty unit for a cosmetic defect for a reduced price. I'd say that pretty awesome and not something other companies would do.
No, I think Amazon refused to offer a discount on the Kindle 3, only offering a discount on the basic ($79) or the Touch ($104), and told the poster that the K3 isn't available for replacement. They did the same to me when I phoned them about a broken screen and cracks in the casing of my K3.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #43
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
They're offering to replace an out-of-warranty unit for a cosmetic defect for a reduced price. I'd say that pretty awesome and not something other companies would do.
They want to keep you under the Kindle tree.

But it's still cool of Amazon to do.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Did View Post
No, I think Amazon refused to offer a discount on the Kindle 3, only offering a discount on the basic ($79) or the Touch ($104), and told the poster that the K3 isn't available for replacement. They did the same to me when I phoned them about a broken screen and cracks in the casing of my K3.

+1 for me.

I decided not to buy into their plan. (Besides, my Paperwhite was waiting for me, so I wasn't too worried.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #45
cathie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilalacat View Post
Hello I'm very disappointed in the service Amazon has given me.
My kindle is 13 months old. It's a Kindle 3 with the keyboard. Just recently a crack appeared in the bottom right corner of the screen on the case. I freaked. I've handled this electronic with lots of TLC its my baby. Never dropped, etc. I did some research on it and found out its a common problem with the device.
In my books not fair. My kindle keyboard cost about $170 new (it was a gift from my boyfriend on our anniversary, he put allot of thought in to it knowing I would like this one the best.) Due to the fact that this is a common problem with this kindle they have offered me a horrible deal for their poor cosmetic defect. I don't like seeing the crack and the fact that they wont off a free replacement for mine cause its not available for replacement. So they want me to get one that I don't want thats not even new and pay even more money for it. I shouldn't have to pay for one when the crack isn't even my doing these cracks appear at random times going based on other forums I've read.
If any one can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I hate looking at my kindle trying to read a ebook and all I see is the crack and every time I see it, it appears bigger and it hurts me to see the crack.
I don't like the fact I'm being penalized for their error.
Thank you.
I feel your pain, my K3 (also a gift from my husband ) also formed a cracked bevel and faded lettering on the keyboard. Even though I had taken great care with it. Both occurred after my warranty ran out.
But I think that you are being a little unrealistic. Yes these are defect, but only cosmetic, and like KimberlyFDR has mention not many other companies will even offer to replace an out of warrenty unit at a reduced cost.

My compromise was to cover my K3 with a 'skin' which hides the crack nicely and keeps any dust etc out. It's a fun way to personalise your kindle, you can change them easily and they don't cost a lot.
As suggested by I_macd I am thinking of getting a silicon sleeve that also covers the keyboard