Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Penn View Post
Bookwerm - I'ver read Giffin's Something Blue as well as the unrelated Love the One You're With, stopping short of Baby Proof b/c it got terrible reviews. Although I enjoyed all three Giffin books I read, Something Borrowed was the best by far IMO. I have to confess that while I definitely have conservative values, I don't hold my fiction to the same standards if it's done well enough, and I felt Giffin treated it masterfully.
Good to know about Baby Proof - I actually bought that and Love the One You're With at the same time last year (thank you, B&N clearance bins!). However, I couldn't get into Baby Proof, and just never tried to read LTOYW thinking it might not be good either. Now that I know Proof is the exception, I'll put LTOYW back on my reading list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L. Penn View Post

I have Sophie Kinsella on my TBR list. Her books always come up alongside mine in recommendations on Amazon so I've really got to check them out. I've got Twenties Girl and Can You Keep A Secret? on my TBR list. I have to confess that I tried to read the first Shopaholic book awhile back and just couldn't get into it. I am planning to see the movie though at some point. Perhaps it has to do with being an American, not sure.
Please - I beg of you - stay away from the film! It's a complete bastardization of the books - the movie is to the books what the TV show True Blood is to the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Same cast of characters, but feels like almost a different story altogether. While movies can occasionally exceed the quality of the book (see: The Devil Wears Prada), this definitely detracts from it. I did also read Twenties Girl - it was very cute and funny. If it was my first Kinsella novel, I probably would have loved it more; but since it was my 8th, and I know her formula and style, it felt more like the others. (As proof, Can You Keep a Secret? was my first Kinsella novel, and still my favorite).
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I've enjoyed MaryJanice Davidson's Queen Betsy series. I read the first 5 and they made me laugh a lot. The main character is a total airhead, but somehow loveable, and her zany friends and family members are a hoot.
Thanks for the recommendation! I just added the first book to my wishlist - now to figure out when I'll squeeze it in...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'm going to try this one. The premise sounds so insane that I have to try it
The premise IS totally insane, which is what makes the books so much fun.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #19
daizyduke
Enthusiast
daizyduke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
all of the Emily Giffin books. And I just read Love in Mid Air - read it in two days.
daizyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
J.L. Penn
Author
J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J.L. Penn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
Please - I beg of you - stay away from the film! It's a complete bastardization of the books - the movie is to the books what the TV show True Blood is to the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Same cast of characters, but feels like almost a different story altogether. While movies can occasionally exceed the quality of the book (see: The Devil Wears Prada), this definitely detracts from it. I did also read Twenties Girl - it was very cute and funny. If it was my first Kinsella novel, I probably would have loved it more; but since it was my 8th, and I know her formula and style, it felt more like the others. (As proof, Can You Keep a Secret? was my first Kinsella novel, and still my favorite).
LOL! I hear this a lot. But I really just did not get into the book at all. I put it down. Granted, my life is insanely busy these days so I don't have as much patience or endurance with books as I used to - it's grab me or forget it anymore - but I don't know. Maybe I'll put the book back on my TBR list near the bottom (but who knows WHEN I'll actually get that far down the list!).

-Jenn
www.jlpenn.com
J.L. Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
TonyaPlank
Author
TonyaPlank began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Ok, now I am going to have to read that Jackie Collins book!

I tend to like slightly darker (though still comical) chick lit. I like Janel Brown's All We Ever Wanted Was Everything, Amy Sohn's Prospect Park West, and I just started reading K.L. Brady's The Bum Magnet which is making me downright scream with laughter!
TonyaPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
bookwerm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaPlank View Post
Ok, now I am going to have to read that Jackie Collins book!

I tend to like slightly darker (though still comical) chick lit. I like Janel Brown's All We Ever Wanted Was Everything, Amy Sohn's Prospect Park West, and I just started reading K.L. Brady's The Bum Magnet which is making me downright scream with laughter!
Thanks for the recommendations! I just checked out 'All We Ever Wanted Was Everything' from the library - it looks hilarious!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Well ladies, I've read once piece of chick lit, and it so happens that I enjoyed it a great deal: Gidget by Frederick Kohner.

The author was a father of a teenage girl, and he was inspired by his daughter's life to write the book. I suspect that fathers of teenage girls would enjoy the book more than teenage girls do.

http://www.amazon.com/Gidget-Frederi...0080313&sr=1-1
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Well ladies, I've read once piece of chick lit, and it so happens that I enjoyed it a great deal: Gidget by Frederick Kohner.

The author was a father of a teenage girl, and he was inspired by his daughter's life to write the book. I suspect that fathers of teenage girls would enjoy the book more than teenage girls do.

http://www.amazon.com/Gidget-Frederi...0080313&sr=1-1
Loved the first two movies. Coincidentally have had the theme for "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" running through my head all weekend.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Lauren Weisberger-Chasing Harry Winston, Everyone Worth Knowing, The Devil Wears Prada (not the movie!!!!!)
Elizabeth Noble-The Friendship Test, The Reading Club (I think; let a friend borrow it and haven't seen it back!)
Candace Bushnell-Lipstick Jungle
Harriet Evans-Going Home, A Hopeless Romantic, The Love of Her Life (have not read yet)
Jennifer Weiner-Little Earthquakes
Jessica Brody-The Fidelity Files (awesome!!!!!!!!)

I have to agree w/Emily Giffin-first 2 books were fantasmic-the last 3......what's lower than meh? Double meh?

Jackie Collins-Lovers and Players (kinda hardcore chick-lit)
Jenner Greene-Straight Talking, The Other Woman and the one where her hubands an ass

Ummmm....running out of steam....I'm sure I have a bunch more and they're just lost in my mind somewhere.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
bookwerm
Zealot

For those of you who like series, check out the Sophie Katz series by Kyra Davis. My book club this month read the latest, Vows, Vendettas, and a Little Black Dress, and it was pretty funny! Maybe not the most complex of murder mysteries, but definitely colorful characters and great one-liners.

Vows I've learned is actually the 5th book in the series, so I may go and try to read them all in order now...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Interesting. I didn't know I read Chick-lit till I read this thread.
Probably everyone has read Janet Evanovich and Charlaine Harris, but thought I would mention them.

While Janet Evaovich doesn't make me laugh aloud as much in her straight romances as her Stephanie Plum they are worth reading and I still get quite a few chuckles from later Plum books.

Previous thread in this forum on Cozy mysteries is kind of related. Generally pleasant reading with romance and humor as important as the mystery.
AND you can get many of these as ebooks from your local library in one form or another.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #28
patootie
patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: sony pocket reader
She's labeled "Romantic Fiction," but I think Robin Kaye has chick-lit leanings as well. Funny main characters, cute stories, easy reads with happy endings. Oh, and a smattering of sexy.
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
dsafire
dsafire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
A few Ive been through recently and enjoyed:

The Monday Night Cooking School by Erica Bauermeister

Serving Crazy with Curry by Amulya Malladi

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen (which is technically a memoir, but it fits the feel of chick-lit to me)

Also, anything by Lisa See or Gail Tsukiyama make me happy.
dsafire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach read, chick lit, contemporary romance, favorites