Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
It's very particular to the child, i think. I loved the Island of the blue dolphins -- still do -- but my children aren't so crazy about it. I'd ask what he or she wants to hear.

My 11 year old is into Tolkien these days, and that's what i read to him before bed. That's what he's most interested in. His younger sister is into the Candymakers & the other Wendy Mass books. However, she prefers to read to herself. If she wants something read to her, it's usually a picture book.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #32
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
My daughter suggests Sarah, Plain and Tall; The Lemonade Crime; and The Phantom Tollbooth.
Please thank your daughter very much for the recommendation - my daughter is LOVING The Phantom Tollbooth.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #33
TaraMcTiernan
Enthusiast
TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
A few other suggestions for 11 yr old

As she loved Harry Potter, she might really enjoy A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I loved that book when I was her age! Also second the Narnia books - loved those too. Two other favorites are both by Frances Hodgson Burnett and include The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. I loved those two so much, I read and reread them incessantly as a child! All of these are classics and beautiful stories for older children.
TaraMcTiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I shall wear midnight by Terry Pratchett, but probably not at bedtime.
Most of the Discworld books can be enjoyed at more than one level, so you might want to try then as well. Also Anne mcCaffrey "dragons on Pern" books.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
I shall wear midnight by Terry Pratchett, but probably not at bedtime.
I would not recommend starting with that one. Start with "The Wee Free Men", the first of the Tiffany Aching stories.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Horrid Henry.
You will both enjoy the books ;-)

http://www.horridhenry.co.uk/the-books.asp
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Diane Duane's "Young Wizard" books are good. And the "Dark is Rising books" by Susan Cooper. James Schmitz's Telzey books (through baen) are good, and so are Rick Cook's Wizardly series books. Also Judy Blume's books "Tales of a fourth grade nothing, and its sequels like "superfudge."

Last edited by crich70; 04-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #38
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I loved anything James Herriot as a young girl. He was funny and they have an anazing warm and fuzzu feel about them. His stories as a vet from the 1930s on. They would make a great bed time read for either a boy or a girl.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events? Unless you're daughter wants to be 'challenged' with her reading, then maybe something else. Some good suggestions thrown forward, but for easy, quick and good reads, Lemony Snicket's books are enjoyable.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #40
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Molly Moon books by Georgia Byng http://www.meetmollymoon.com/ An orphan girl discovers the powers of hypnosis and mindreading..
owly is offline   Reply With Quote