Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #76
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
IIUC, distracted driving is already against the law in most places. The problem is you usually have to wait until after there's an accident to stick that on someone. The laws concerning specific stuff like phones, etc, are supposedly stuff that a cop can see and cite you for before something happens.

That's the theory, I think.
A lot of states are moving to "primary enforcement" which means they can now ticket you for doing that alone. So for our anniversary I got my husband a hands-free kit for the car because people call him all the time.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #77
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I only read (past tense; I don't drive enough now to make it worth it) while stopped at traffic lights. Not in motion.
These multitasking drivers weren't stopped, they were in a slow commute. That's what struck me. Figuratively, not literally.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #78
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What should really be banned in all 50 states is talking on cell phone/texting while driving. A driver's attention should be fully engaged in operating the vehicle he/she is driving.
I used to ride in a car with a paraplegic friend. It was a regular sedan whose gas and brake had levers attached so they could be operated by hands. It was interesting to watch him steer the wheel, control the gas and brake, and drink hot coffee from a mug at the same time. Interesting and slightly unnerving.

Last edited by Barty; 06-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #79
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I can't read in a car either. I will get motion sick if I try to look at a map too long also.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #80
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It sounds like they are just as bad as talking or texting on the cell phone while driving. I don't know why people do such things while driving myself.
I see people texting on the expressway a lot. Drives me bonkers. They are swerving all over so dangerous.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #81
tedmorgan
tedmorgan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Glad to see that I am not the only one struggling with this.
tedmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #82
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I was having this problem on the bus, which was a total bummer because that's an hour a day of solid reading time! Then I got a pair of sea bands and that did the trick. In fact, after a couple of weeks of wearing the sea bands, I didn't need them anymore. Now I can read on the bus with little to no nausea (sometimes I get a little icky feeling, but only slightly).
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #83
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Anyone else get motion sick when trying to read ebook in a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I was having this problem on the bus, which was a total bummer because that's an hour a day of solid reading time! Then I got a pair of sea bands and that did the trick. In fact, after a couple of weeks of wearing the sea bands, I didn't need them anymore. Now I can read on the bus with little to no nausea (sometimes I get a little icky feeling, but only slightly).
Do they really work?? Do you wear the band when you feel nauseous or when something you're about to do may make you feel nauseous? Plus, did you experience any side effects?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #84
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
sea bands are amazing. best put on at least 30 minutes before travel. I wore them 23/7 when pregnant with my twins only removing/changing them when I had a shower. They must be tight enough to leave a red dent mark on your wrist when removed. Another trick is to firmly stroke the inside of your forearm from elbbow to wrist over and over to help. Some people find stroking their stomach again firmly from the belly button to under the breast works.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #85
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Maybe time for somebody to compile a list of wipe-clean, liquid-proof e-readers?

Travel sickness pills certainly solves the reading problem for me; I become so drowsy that any kind of intellectual activity loses its allure.

However, one thing that does work against motion sickness in my and many other cases is keeping your eyes on the horizon. Thus a technological solution suggests itself: Use the accelerometers in a tablet to keep the text still, relative to the ground. Test pilots wanted; wipe-clean, liquid-proof tablets recommended.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote