Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Here is another slim one. Not sure how I feel about the tab thingie being on the right side of the case. I feel that it would get in the way of reading.

It's bonded leather (90% leather), location in the US and only $15.
That one looks fantastic. I knew I should have waited for an after-market case!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That one looks fantastic. I knew I should have waited for an after-market case!
That is where I got the advantage - I have to wait because I did not preorder a PW, and now they are out of stock. With all those cases I highly doubt I go with the official one.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is where I got the advantage - I have to wait because I did not preorder a PW, and now they are out of stock. With all those cases I highly doubt I go with the official one.
I wouldn't, either. But then, I never pre-ordered a Kindle before, either.

I hope you will find the PW worth the wait. I love mine, blotches and all!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #34
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
xendula, maybe not a case, but who knows if vinyl skins show up to make at least the PW front white?
I was thinking of that, or of white sharpies as my last resort
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I second booklover's feelings: I love my PW and it was worth the perceived neverending replacement rounds.

Wish I had waited for an aftermarket case as well - the $40 stung! I'll post pictures of the Ebay ones when I get them.

Last edited by xendula; 12-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I wouldn't, either. But then, I never pre-ordered a Kindle before, either.

I hope you will find the PW worth the wait. I love mine, blotches and all!
I am actually not hyped about the light supposed to be perfect - I don't expect it to - virtually impossible with indirect lighting. Since I don't want a non-touch Kindle I really don't have a choice but to wait. Well actually, my local Walmart still has one (last one) of a 3G KT in the store. I think I will pass on that - the other one they had is now my wifes. Hers could not wait since she never had one. If we get me one to replace my old Sony, then the problem is that we would not have an excuse to upgrade both brand new Kindles with brand new new Kindles. Already had to listen to: "oh, of course, yours has to be better !!!" Well maybe not, I already plan for a second PW. One-month free trial of Prime going to make the wait less long by a day or two, so I am good
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I was thinking of that, or of white sharpies as my last resort
Don't use a sharpie - if you want the look of a 2 year old drawing on Kindle, then you need Crayons.

Try bleach - not on the Kindle, but on a cover. Well actually try this instead: How to dye leather white (Hopefully the leather cases are sufficiently enough leather for dying purpose)
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #38
xendula
eBookworm

You're probably right about the sharpies, but that's all the project I'd trust myself with. I have two left hands, so real dye scares me - nothing good can come if it.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I second booklover's feelings: I love my PW and it was worth the perceived neverending replacement rounds.

Wish I had waited for an aftermarket case as well - the $40 stung! I'll post pictures of the Ebay ones when I get them.
What color did you order? The red is tempting me.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #40
xendula
eBookworm

I ordered two in red. The pink was too intense, the brown would have been my second choice.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #41
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
I ordered a black one.. a good, strong orange would've interested me as well, but you just can't go wrong with black if you ask me

I actually have some hope that shipping won't take too long.. according to DHL tracking, it started its journey to Germany yesterday, so customs didn't take too long with processing in China. I think the actual transport time between countries is just about a week.. but who knows?
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
I own the cover mentioned in the OP. I purchased it from the same eBay seller, and it arrived in just 10 days.

I love it! Like everyone else, I wanted the official Amazon cover, but didn't want to pay $40 for it. Also the official one is much heavier this year, which turned me off. So I was thrilled to find this alternative.

The fit is absolutly perfect and the quality is very good. I also own an Amazon brand cover for the K4, and this one is almost identical. Obviously the "leather" is not *as* good quality as the Amazon one, but for $12...really...what more could you ask for. I'm not sure what "PU leather" is, but it looks and feels close enough to the real thing. If having genuine leather was important enough to me, I would've just bought the $40 Amazon one

Another nice thing about this one, is that no matter which color you buy, the border of the molded part is BLACK. I like that because the Paperwhite is black, so the cover's border just disappears around it, unlike the Amazon one which is the same color as the lid. Personally, I would find that distracting.

There is one thing I should warn you about. The edges of the molded plastic/vinyl(?) part is rigid rather than rubbery. So it doesn't flex like the Amazon one. So once the Kindle is snapped in...that's it. You're not getting that sucker back out. If you have no intention of remove it, then it's not even an issue. But if you're OCD like me...or if you buy more than one color and intend to switch them out now and then, then it's a problem.

It took me over 20 minutes to get mine out. LoL, I actually started to cry at one point. However, I came up with a great solution. Once I got the Kindle out, I took an exacto blade and shaved down the "lip" on the inside of ONE corner (the lower left)...of the cover, that is. Now that corner pops off easily. As long as one corner comes off, the rest will come off with no problem. It's just getting that first corner off that's the key.

If you're going to do that, I suggest one of the bottom corners because there's less edge coverage on the bottom, and therefore more kindle to grasp when pulling out.

Bottom line, I'm extremely happy with its build quality and the look and feel, especially for the price. I like it so much, I ordered another one last night, so I could have a colored one too. (my first one is black)

PS: oh and yes, it does have the magnetic sleep/wake function :-)

Last edited by Vmurph; 12-02-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, I ordered the one in the OP, too. I'm weak! The lighter weight is what grabbed me. I ordered the light brown.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #44
xendula
eBookworm

Thanks for the mini-review Vmurph Could you post pictures? What color did you buy?
PU Leather is plastic leather, but in the item description it says leather. So I am a bit disappointed now. I guess as long as they don't call it "genuine leather", they are not doing anything wrong per Ebay conditions.... Does it have a plasticky feel to it?

The original PW case is likewise very difficult to take off, so thanks for the warning!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
[...] though I am still looking for a white slim one or my sis. [...]
Not sure if you seen it yet, but found a white one here (last color option) for $12.95. It is a sleeve that will turn even the front white.