Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
MosesSiregarIII
Writer, Reader, Conquerer
MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Creating MOBI rather than PRC

Hi all, I have MobiPocket Creator and I've used it to make prc files. Someone has specifically requested a mobi file, though, and I haven't been able to figure out how to make mobi files instead. I'm guessing this can't be too difficult, but I don't know how.

Can you help? Thanks in advance
MosesSiregarIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you are using Calibre also, under the "convert" button you can easily set the "input" to .prc and the "output" to .mobi.........

I can't answer about mobipocket.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
If somebody asks for a mobi specifically, just rename the extension to mobi. Yep, that's it.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think all you have to do is change the file extension from PRC to MOBI.

I know I've done the reverse - taken MOBI files created by Calibre and changed them to PRC for my old Cybook reader. They worked just fine.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
It would be interesting to know why someone wanted something in Mobi format rather than PRC, but taking your question at face value, Calibre will convert a PRC file to Mobi very easily.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doesn't the Kindle require a MOBI extension?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Doesn't the Kindle require a MOBI extension?
No, it'll accept both PRC and Mobi formats.

Jim
Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
FizzyWater

That's good to know...thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
MosesSiregarIII
MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

It's probably not totally needed, but Scott Nicholson requested a mobi version for his ebook giveaway. I guess I probably shouldn't worry about it then. I wasn't sure if maybe mobi did something for certain devices that prc didn't.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to be careful when talking about "PRC" files. A PRC file is simply a container format (a little like a ZIP file is, say) and can contain any type of data at all. A PRC file can contain a Mobipocket book, but it could also contain any other type of data whatsoever.

However, if a PRC file does contain a Mobipocket book then you can simply rename it to have a ".mobi" extension with no change whatsoever in its functionality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
MosesSiregarIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need to be careful when talking about "PRC" files. A PRC file is simply a container format (a little like a ZIP file is, say) and can contain any type of data at all. A PRC file can contain a Mobipocket book, but it could also contain any other type of data whatsoever.

However, if a PRC file does contain a Mobipocket book then you can simply rename it to have a ".mobi" extension with no change whatsoever in its functionality.
Excellent. I didn't know that about prc files.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Strether
Guru

If the PRC books you're wanting to create have TOCs, one advantage to using Calibre to convert to Mobi is it will provide chapter dots on the Kindle's progress bar, which will enable you to easily move from chapter to chapter. Very handy for non-fiction, but I use it to convert long sci-fi novels to let me skip yet another battle.

Jim
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
MosesSiregarIII

Hm, interesting Jim.

I tried today to just rename the .prc file as a .mobi file, but then when I uploaded it to my actual Kindle, it didn't show the file as one of my ebooks. Any ideas why?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
Hi!
As I ask in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=77 Is it possible to get "chaptermarks" in a .prc file?

I get them by converting, the generated .prc in Mobipocket Creator, into .mobi in Calibre.

But is there any html tag to do this in .prc?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited by blanca_luz; 09-21-2010 at 05:05 PM.
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanca_luz View Post
But is there any html tag to do this in .prc?
If you add an ePub-like toc.ncx to the input ebook, MobiPocket Creator will add waypoints to its output MOBI. The toc.ncx must not have nested entries though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote