Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
can't remove font hack from Ki

Hi, after reading about the 2,5 update, I tried to remove the font and screensaver hacks from my K2i, just in case...
The screensaver is now back to normal, but I still am able to read my Greek books. I have removed all other font files from the root directory, placed the update_update_ufh_uninstall-k2i.bin there instead, safely removed, updated (successfully! as the Kindle informs me), and... still see greek fonts.
What am I doing wrongly?
Will I never be able to have collections now (I feel the cold sweat breaking out) - or should I reset to Factory Defaults (heaven forbid)?
Any help would be much appreciated.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I had the same problem on my original recipe K2; it turns out that there is more than one uninstall file on the KDesignWorks web site. When the first file didn't work I wandered around the site until I found the second uninstall, and that one worked like a champ.

"update_uninstall.bin" was the one that didn't work for me; "update_k2_fonts_uninstall.bin" was the key. I'm not sure which you should use for a K2i, though.

Edited again to add: This is assuming you got your font hack from KDesignWorks, of course. If you got it from some other web site, ignore everything I said above.
Also...now that it's gone I really miss my Georgia font.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-05-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: File names
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried to do this, but with the same result. Then I reinstalled the georgia fonts, which shouldn't have been possible, if they were still installed - right?
So, I noticed that there was a difference in the fonts (yes, they look much nicer). However, after uninstalling them again, I can still read greek letters instead of gibberish. I'm baffled. Maybe the Kindle now recognises the greek alphabet, and Amazon never notified us?
Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens when -and if- the 2.5 arrives.
Thank you again.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote