Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
Suggestions

As I've only been using Calibre for a few days, I'm far from an expert on its use. However I've been a programmer for 30 years.

1) I am surprised to discover that while Calibre has a robust plugin architecture, that architecture does not include a "Tools" or "Utilities" category. Currently, tools appear to be hardwired in to the right-click menu.

Say for example I wish to extract and set the default ebook cover from a selection of ebooks. I'd like to be able to select the books in the GUI, click on a Tools menu, and select a python plugin to perform my desired task upon all selected ebooks.

2) Another idea, though perhaps not architecturally feasible, would be a preference setting to save ebook series as series/author/.... (My motivation is based upon German pulp series extending to over a thousand issues, with many, many authors. )

3) Metadata has a field for ebook Language, I'd like to be able to access it.

4) Ebook imput. Here is where I think something really cool could be done. Again, I have in mind large existing ebook collections. I would like to see a preferences screen as follows.
- Each metadata item, Title, Series, Index, ISBN, etc are listed separately.
- To the right of each item is a pull-down menu allowing selection of which input plugin to use for that particular item, as well as the "filename regex" feature already in place.

In other words, instead of all/nothing filename or metadata, an item-by-item user selectable preference.

Now I have a hard decision to make. Perhaps it is time to dive in and add Python to my list and see what I can do to help make Calibre the best it can be.

Thanks all.

EDIT: Since the developer gets so much flack over his directory structures, I'd like to clarify why I wish for series to be stored in a different manner. The reason is not because I want to surf the folders manually (which appears to be the most common reason). I accept that Calibre is a database, and it does not matter how the folder structure looks, it matters how it works.

Assume I have several pulp book series, numbering in the hundreds of issues each. (which I do)

Very often the author is unknown. Other times the author is immaterial, as pseudonyms are so often used. Other times I just don't care who the author is and don't want to take endless hours looking at each cover and entering the author.

So, in the Calibre database, I have thousands of entries under author "Unknown." In Windows, this is not the best for performance. It would be better to have a more balanced folder structure. Therefore if series could be stored series/author, this would be avoided.

I want to further mention that this is not a high priority to me because I have a simple work-around: I simply set the Author field to the name of the series, which _almost_ has the same effect (but does not allow me to set the author for those series where I _do_ care.

Thanks for staying with me this long!

Last edited by LessPaul; 09-28-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add rational
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) The plugin architecture doesn't extend to GUI functions as yet. On the TODO list

2) See Preferences->Add/Save

3) Also on the TODO list

I've already acknowledged the "windows sucks" issue with folder structure. At some point in the future when I refactor the database code to make it backed independent, I'll add the ability to select a "large database folder structure".
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert