Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #286
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you just download the kindle app and purchase books from amazon WITHOUT owning a Kindle?
I went out and bought myself a used 1stGen iPod Touch that had been jailbroken to 2.2.1 and then downloaded Kindle for iPhone and it works just FINE!!!

However, I haven't gotten around to extracting the purchased Kindle ebooks to my PC - but I have downloaded the app that allows one to do so.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #287
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Derek, when you do get around to doing that, would you please be kind enough to post what format the books you extracted were in when you extracted them? I have a theory going here...

Thanks,
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #288
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Derek, when you do get around to doing that, would you please be kind enough to post what format the books you extracted were in when you extracted them? I have a theory going here...

Thanks,
Okay,

I installed and ran iPhone Backup Extractor. It's super easy to use! I found that all THREE ebooks purchased were given the .prc file extension. And, when I checked two of them, I found they were in typical .mobi/.prc format and did NOT need decryption. However, the third one was MUCH larger - 3.7MB and it did not come with any image files, just a rather short text novel - and upon checking it out with Hextreme, I found a TOPAZ file (first four bytes were 'T', 'P', 'Z' and zero(hex value 30). As I don't know of any way to extract a .tpz file, I'm stuck reading it on my iPod Touch.

Let me say here and now that reading a .tpz ebook on the iPod Touch (8GB model) is an experience of TOTAL SUCKDOM!!! The damn thing takes three-four seconds to 'decrypt' each and every single PAGE!!! (BTW, the novel with this problem is "The American Zone" which ran to about 350 pages in HC, but it used a fairly 'large' typeface and could probable have fit into 200 pages if it had gone to a more 'typical' font.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #289
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Thanks for the answers!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #290
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
So can you tell in advance if a book is Topaz, or it is just a lottery?

The Gardner Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction 25th edition is apparently a Kindle book now. I don't have an iPhone etc., but I might know someone that does.

If this backup extractor program runs on windows with no jailbreaking needed, then that would be an option?

A 4MB novel is stupid, certainly.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #291
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The sample usually tells the tale, but not always. If it turns out to be Topaz you can always return it within a day or two.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Not if you use iPhone Backup Extractor, a Mac only program.
There is a Windows version. Google is your friend.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #293
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even easier, look at post #276 where I posted a link to the Windows version.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #294
jfreijser
jfreijser began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Kindle iphone app NOT available outside USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
I wrote the review on Treo Today. I can confirm you don't need a Kindle. Here are a couple of things that I didn't mention :
1. You don't need to be in the US, just have a US iTunes account.
2. You don't need to have a US Amazon account.
Dear Morituri,
Tx for your contributions in this issue.
I just read your blogpost at http://www.treotoday.net/2009/03/05/...-books-iphone/ , and as far as I can work out, step 1. doesn't work for me:

"1. Download the Kindle iPhone app from the Apple App Store. It’s free."

When I go to Apple iStore it says Kindle not available in Dutch iStore. Is there another site from which to download?

Thanks,
regards, Jan
jfreijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #295
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
If I recall, I just opened the US iTunes store and created an account there. When I had to fund it, I found a virtual credit card card company, paid them for a thirty-day VISA card, complete with address in the States, and used that to fund the account. Now if I have to fund it, i just buy a gift card off eBay.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #296
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Just open US iTunes account WITHOUT a credit card. Go to iTunes, select a free app to download and when it comes to selecting a payment option for your new account select "None."
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #297
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
If I recall, I just opened the US iTunes store and created an account there. When I had to fund it, I found a virtual credit card card company, paid them for a thirty-day VISA card, complete with address in the States, and used that to fund the account. Now if I have to fund it, i just buy a gift card off eBay.
Which virtual credit card was accepted by the US iTunes store? Why not get a virtual Visa card that is valid for a longer period of time? Or get a new one after 30 days? Is it expensive?

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-03-2009 at 03:34 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #298
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
Just open US iTunes account WITHOUT a credit card. Go to iTunes, select a free app to download and when it comes to selecting a payment option for your new account select "None."
Maybe you are using an old version of iTunes? There are a number of payment options, namely various credit cards and PayPal. "None" is not one of them.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #299
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
Even easier, look at post #276 where I posted a link to the Windows version.
Yeah, because good ole Jon was asking for it instead of simply googling for it himself. The iPhone Backup Extractor I used was created by an entirely different developer Jon, an OSX developer. There is no windows "version" of HIS program. Why such a wise*** so much of the time?

Now I come back months later to see yet another cheap shot from you, based totally on ignorance (see post #282 Jon, where I call attention to the Windows variant) and wise up will ya. I do feel for you man. Hope your mom is doing well.

Last edited by galavanter; 10-20-2009 at 09:47 PM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #300
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You cannot create an iTunes Store account without a credit card or valid payment.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2731

You CAN create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card or valid payment.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle