Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #76
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Lighting level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
So far, it doesn't bother me too much. I really only see the light on a mostly blank screen. I've seen worse ones, ones with color blotches and such, and I am afraid I would get a worse one as a replacement. :/

PS - Like I mentioned, I tweaked my photos to make the flaws more visible. It isn't nearly that bad in real life!

I did consider replacing, and I still might. But I worry the replacement would be worse that what I have now.
What was your PW lighting level when you took the photo shown here?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #77
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Reading Rainbow!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Taste the rainbow!
I miss Skittles. The yummy little colors of sugar. Ah to be young again and be able to eat candy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #79
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What was your PW lighting level when you took the photo shown here?

I don't remember, but I know I made it higher to try and show the defects more. I wanted it to stand out so that I could show it to others.

While it is not this obvious in person, the defects are definitely visible at ALL light levels. It is worth trying a replacement, and I am hoping to get a better one.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #80
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon "normal" a lot worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Honey you need your eyes fix. The left side looks really bad not to mention you see pink hues all over that pic.

Are you viewing this on your tablet? I tried showing my husband last night some pics from here on the KF and they do not show the rainbow colors like when I view them on my 22" LCD monitor.
Take a look at the official Amazon photos here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

That one in the lower left is filled with bluish green blobs. Yet it is shown as a "normal" unit.

If I look very close at that photo the person here posted, I can barely see a faint line. It is really not very noticeable at all to my eyes. It is more of a faint shadow rather than a clear line with high contrast.

I'm afraid we are all getting very picky on these screens and may never be satisfied.

When I read an eBook, I rarely look for font defects, screen defects, etc. I just want to be able to read the eBook and enjoy it.

Naturally, if I couldn't read the words at all, I would be upset. That is definitely NOT the issue on the poster's photo. Those fonts look great and have good contrast with the screen.

If I look at my own unit (I've posted 2 photos here of it), I really am not distracted in my reading by the screen. However, others here have picked out what they perceive are serious defects.

To me, my unit looks perfect.

That may be the reason some are getting 2, 3 and even more replacements and they all look bad to them. They will never be satisfied. Amazon may not solve this problem either. Its really a user perception, not a physical error.

The real error that Amazon made was the name choice, "Paper WHITE." The name gives the user a false expectation of perfection. A better name would have been "Paper LIGHT" to reflect the internal light and the low weight of the device.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 09:24 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #81
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do get better over time. I remember when I first got my K3, it used to freeze and reboot but after a few weeks it settled down and I never had anymore problems. My android devices played up a bit in the first few weeks but they settled down too.
Firmware upgrade? I don't think this relates to the PW problem.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #82
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Take a look at the official Amazon photos here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

That one in the lower left is filled with bluish green blobs. Yet it is shown as a "normal" unit.

If I look very close at that photo the person here posted, I can barely see a faint line. It is really not very noticeable at all to my eyes. It is more of a faint shadow rather than a clear line with high contrast.

I'm afraid we are all getting very picky on these screens and may never be satisfied.

When I read an eBook, I rarely look for font defects, screen defects, etc. I just want to be able to read the eBook and enjoy it.

Naturally, if I couldn't read the words at all, I would be upset. That is definitely NOT the issue on the poster's photo. Those fonts look great and have good contrast with the screen.

If I look at my own unit (I've posted 2 photos here of it), I really am not distracted in my reading by the screen. However, others here have picked out what they perceive are serious defects.

To me, my unit looks perfect.

That may be the reason some are getting 2, 3 and even more replacements and they all look bad to them. They will never be satisfied. Amazon may not solve this problem either. Its really a user perception, not a physical error.

The real error that Amazon made was the name choice, "Paper WHITE." The name gives the user a false expectation of perfection. A better name would have been "Paper LIGHT" to reflect the internal light and the low weight of the device.
In all honesty, the pictures you posted of your PW had gigantic font on them, so would you see any defects even if you looked for them? I wish I could ignore the issues mine had, because I REALLY, REALLY like the interface and the way the PW looks when switched off. Very nice body.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #83
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them do get better over time. I remember when I first got my K3, it used to freeze and reboot but after a few weeks it settled down and I never had anymore problems. My android devices played up a bit in the first few weeks but they settled down too.
That sounds like it might have been an indexing issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #84
dgdsp123
dgdsp123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

The screen on my PW has gotten much better after two days of intense use. I am not sure what the issue is. Maybe cold, or humidity (the UPS guys left my PW on the porch, of course, with rain and cold weather...)....
I would like to add an observation to this theory. I got my PW on the 18th and right out of the box it had a somewhat large green blotch towards the top center of the screen. At my apartment the temperature is usually around 70 which is what my wife and I find comfortable. This past Saturday (the 20th) my wife and I drove up to her parents house which is about an hour away. My wife drove on the return home so I spent the time reading on my new PW. It was cold out and my wife is always cold anyway so she had the heater on which probably brought the temperature up to around 75 or 80 in the car. After about 45 mins I noticed that the green blob had gotten significantly smaller and the screen had become more uniform. I though this was odd and was hoping it would stay this way.

Unfortunately, by the next day it had gotten back to the way it was. This is making me wonder if the top layer is somehow expanding or contracting slightly due to the temperature. I have seen other reviews state that they will see a change in the screen but then later it will go back to the way it was.

I am wondering if anyone else is having this same experience or has any thoughts on this theory.
dgdsp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #85
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
dgdsp123 - I have experienced something similar to you. My color hues also seem to come and go and get bigger and smaller depending. Not sure what to make of it really, but it happens to me as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is that it could be an issue with the capacitance touch layer and the way the light layer hits. If Amazon stuck with IR, that touch layer would be non-existent and the light would just be bouncing off of the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #87
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is that it could be an issue with the capacitance touch layer and the way the light layer hits. If Amazon stuck with IR, that touch layer would be non-existent and the light would just be bouncing off of the screen.
I suspect that the LEDs are not completely white and that their hues are being accentuated by the lightguide.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #88
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I suspect that the LEDs are not completely white and that their hues are being accentuated by the lightguide.
Hmm, I wonder how would screen look if we solder some warm white/yellow LED-s instead of those I already see potential for hardware modding
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote