Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #136
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yeah, well, I seem to be unable to give up on this, even though it might be a while before I actually need my Kobo again. (I'm reading an actual paper book right now.)

I did manage to get it to connect to my router when I disabled the security, although it still took about three goes before it would load the store. I normally use WEP, which I need(ed?) for the Nintendo DS. I might give it a go with WPA tonight. It will help narrow it down even if I don't really want to change things on all my other wifi devices.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #137
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It turns out I can give up.

Tried WPA - no joy.
Changed the channel - no difference.
Messed with some scary numbers (beacon interval, DTIM) a bit - nothing. Chickened out and changed them back.

Guess I'm waiting until either my router dies or the firmware gets updated again. Assuming it's not a hardware issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #138
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
DrNefario your problem sounds somewhat similar to the problem I had. Did you try doing a reset to your kobo by poking a pin or paperclip into the hole at the back of the kobo? Once I did that I was able to easily type in my hidden SSID and password, and connect properly.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #139
DrNefario
Wizard

Yes, I did try that in my first attempt to get things working. It didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't reset the Touch every time I've changed anything, though.

And just to make me look foolish, my Kindle wouldn't connect this morning, either. (I haven't used it for a couple of weeks, but I had bought a couple of books I wanted to sync.) Power-cycling the router soon fixed that, but now I feel I ought to test the Kobo again just to make sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #140
kyriu
kyriu began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Hi

Are there any news on possible WPA2 Entreprise support?
kyriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #141
gwilki
gwilki began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox and kobo touch
I'm late to this party. We just bought a new Touch for my MIL. It will not connect to my wireless router using WEP. It finds my network quickly, but when I enter the password, it comes back with an error message. I've read others on this thread talking about using WPA. However, the manual specifically says,"this eReader does not support networks secured with the WPA Enterprise Protocol."

I realize that those mentioning WPA did so quite a while ago. Can anyone provide up to date info on this connection problem?

Tks much.
gwilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #142
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
I've read others on this thread talking about using WPA. However, the manual specifically says,"this eReader does not support networks secured with the WPA Enterprise Protocol."
WPA Enterprise Protocol is different to WPA that you'd be running on your home router in all likelyhood. It is used in larger commercial settings (i.e. universities) rather than for home routers. You should be able to make WPA work, and for sure WPA2 (higher security level, probably a better option anyway if available) works.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #143
gwilki
gwilki began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox and kobo touch
Thank you much, Robko. I just changed the router to wpa2, and the KT connected immediately. I'm very grateful for your advice.
gwilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #144
Enygma
Enygma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
This forum is certainly a treasure trove of information on peoples' experiences with wireless connectivity with the Kobo Touch.

I have finally been able to put specific settings in my router (a D-Link DIR-601 with firmware 1.02na) that allow me to at least make and hold a connection for more than a minute or two. Unfortunately, no information I have run across allows me to reconnect a lost connection. The best that happens is that a connection is established and then immediately dropped with no other warning that a flash of the screen and a return to the Wireless Connection screen (the same as if I had managed to connect except for the flash of the screen).

My Kobo Touch has been updated with the latest widely available firmware version 2.0.0.

What does work for me in order to make a connection is the following:

1. delete all known networks
2. make a connection by clicking on the network access point I want to connect to
3. manually enter the password

If I make a mistake in the password and accidentally try to connect, I then have to go back and delete this new known connection and start over.

Successful wireless settings:

No much really matters except for the following:

Wireless security mode: WPA-personal
WPA mode: WPA2 only
Cipher Type: TKIP
Pre-shared Key: any 12 alpha only character key

This group of settings limits protocol to wireless B and G only.

Changing the protocol to include AES cipher allows a wireless N connection, but I can only hold it for a couple of minutes.

Changing the password to any other length or combination of letters and numbers requires me to enter a hidden password.

If anyone has succeeded in making and holding a connection with any other wireless router settings, please post them here. I would also like to hear from anyone who has been able to reconnect automatically or make a connection from the known networks.

Last edited by Enygma; 09-30-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added Kobo firmware version
Enygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #145
Enygma

Smile Reply from Kobo

The Kobo customer care bunch replied rather quickly to my queries, just under two hours after my last detailed description of the problem . I'll play with the recommendations below to see if anything improves though their suggestion to buy another router sounds like it is more expensive than the solution might be worth.

============= Begin Kobo Response =================

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
(Kobo Touch) WI FI not working

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Matthew W) 09/30/2012 08:17 PM
Hi [personal information removed - moderator],

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear you're having this problem with your wireless connection.

We are having issues with certain routers and specifically N routers outputting 5.8 GHz signals.

I believe your problem may lie in the fact that your router model was one of the earlier wireless N routers that relied on the Draft 802.11 specifications. A newer wireless router would likely resolve the problem.

That said, we want to do as much as we can with your router. I would suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps in this order:

- Set your output to Wireless-G only. And specifically, make sure it is outputting a 2.4 GHz signal. It can be a combined 2.4/5.8 signal, but make sure it is at least outputting a 2.4 GHz signal in the Channels 1-11 band.

- Reset your wireless router's settings to store defaults. The store defaults would likely include an outputted signal in the appropriate band.

*Be sure to start with an open WiFi signal, and see if that works. If it does, try adding layers of security back including encryption one at a time to see which one causes issues if this does cause issues.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Response Via Email (Patricia M) 09/30/2012 07:07 PM

Thank you for your response.

We are transferring your ticket to Devices and Apps as they will be able to answer your questions for you and assist you with your wireless router. If Devices and Apps deem your device needing a return, we will assist you further in that process if necessary.

Sincerely,

Patricia M.
The Kobo Team
Customer By Email ([personal information removed - moderator]) 09/30/2012 06:40 PM
Kobo Customer Care:
I am not sure at this time that exchanging the Kobo Touch will solve the wireless connection problems. In going though several forums on the subject, it appears a lot of customers have exactly the same problems as I do with the Kobo Touch. My wife's Kobo that I had had been able to get to connect connect once is not able to reconnect using known networks so the problem lies elsewhere than in just my Kobo Touch.
I have finally been able to put specific settings in my router (a
D-Link DIR-601 with firmware 1.02na) that allow me to at least make and hold a connection for more than a minute or two. Unfortunately, no information I have run across allows me to reconnect a lost connection. The best that happens is that a connection is established and then immediately dropped with no other warning that a flash of the screen and a return to the Wireless Connection screen (the same as if I had managed to connect except for the flash of the screen). What does work to make a connection is
the following: 1. delete all known networks 2. make a connection by clicking on the network access point I want to connect to 3. manually enter the password If I make a mistake in the password and accidentally try to connect, I then have to go back and delete this new known connection and start over. Successful wireless router settings: Not much really matters except for the following: Wireless security mode: WPA-personal WPA mode: WPA2 only Cipher Type: TKIP Pre-shared Key: any 12 alpha only character key
This group of settings limits protocol to wireless B and G only. Changing the protocol to include AES cipher allows a wireless N connection, but I can only hold it for a couple of minutes. Changing the password to any other length or combination of letters and numbers requires me to enter a hidden password.
No amount of resetting the Kobo or doing a factory reset of the device changes the outcome. If anyone has succeeded in making and holding a connection with any other wireless router settings, please
e-mail a reply. I would also like to know what router settings are required to be able to reconnect automatically or make a connection from the known networks.
[personal information removed - moderator]
Response Via Email (Patricia M) 09/30/2012 02:41 PM

Thank you for the requested information.

Before we can proceed, we will need photos of the front and the back of your device for warranty purposes. Once we have this information we will be able to assist you further with your return.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team
Customer By Email ([personal information removed - moderator]) 09/29/2012 02:10 PM
Kobo Customer Care:
Information as requested is below:
[personal information removed - moderator]
Response Via Email (Humberto C) 09/29/2012 01:38 PM
Hi [personal information removed - moderator]

Thank you for calling Kobo customer care.

Unfortunately, your Kobo eReader may need to be repaired or exchanged. Please provide the answers to ALL the questions below so we can proceed.

Part 1 - Your Contact Information

Name:
Street Name and #:
Apt/Suite/Unit # (if applicable):
Intercom/Entrance Code (if applicable):
City:
State/Province/Territory:
Zip/Post Code:

Primary Telephone #:
Secondary Telephone #:
Email address of your Kobo Account:

Part 2 - Your Kobo eReader Information

Model of the Kobo eReader (Kobo Original, Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch, or Kobo Vox):
Colour (On the Kobo Original, Kobo Wi Fi, and Kobo Touch please look at quilted back. On the Kobo Vox, please look at the sides.):
If the colour your eReader is not in stock, will you accept an alternate colour?
Purchase date of your Kobo eReader:
Purchase location of your Kobo eReader:
Serial Number located on the bottom of the eReader:
Did you also purchase a Bronze/Silver/Gold extended protection plan for this device from Kobo?

Once this information has been reviewed, we’ll contact you with information regarding the next steps.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Ticket number 120929-000655

Thanks,
The Kobo Team
Customer By Phone (Entered by Humberto C) 09/29/2012 01:38 PM
[personal information removed - moderator] called in today regarding his Kobo touch not been able to connect to any wi fi network. He explained to me he tried every troubleshooting step
including a factory reset.

His wife also has the same Kobo touch and it connects perfectly fine in the same wireless network he tries to connect.

I explained to [personal information removed - moderator] that I would escalate the issue to tier 2 and we would get back to him as soon as possible via e-mail.

Question Reference #120929-000655
Product Level 1: Kobo eReader
Product Level 2: Touch
Category Level 1: Devices
Category Level 2: WiFi - Can't Connect
Date Created: 09/29/2012 01:38 PM
Last Updated: 09/30/2012 08:17 PM

Troubleshooting

[---001:006336:50799---]

Last edited by dreams; 09-30-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: [personal information removed - moderator]
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #146
Enygma

Unhappy No success

Apparently copying and pasting my correspondence with Kobo violated some privacy rules. For that I apologise. The good thing is that at least one person is reading this thread.

I tried Kobo's customer care suggestions and the result was a little worse. By turning off security, I was unable to tap on the network and hold a connection. I had to again delete known networks and connect manually by entering the network name manually. Changing the setting to wireless G only had no effect and my router is not capable of the 5 GHz signal, only 2.437 GHz on channel 6 (auto).

Their suggestion to go buy another router (no brand or model was suggested by customer care) sounds expensive for a maybe / might / perhaps solution.

I am open to other suggestions.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #147
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Try it out on other networks and see how well it connects -like restaurants, bookstores, libraries, work, tethered phone(how I get my net access), etc. and see what happens. If you can manage to connect to other networks perhaps your router is the problem... Make sure you have the latest router firmware/proper settings and try again. While you're at it you might Google your router brand/model and see if anyone has had similar experiences or found solutions.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #148
Enygma

Workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Try it out on other networks and see how well it connects -like restaurants, bookstores, libraries, work, tethered phone(how I get my net access), etc. and see what happens. If you can manage to connect to other networks perhaps your router is the problem... Make sure you have the latest router firmware/proper settings and try again. While you're at it you might Google your router brand/model and see if anyone has had similar experiences or found solutions.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the latest firmware on my router. There is some more recent hacked firmware out in the wild, but I would rather stick with what was provided by the manufacturer. Tethered phone is out since I don't have a cheap phone plan or a smart phone for that matter. I did try to hook up at the university and did not succeed. It could be because they are using WPA enterprise. I can't tell and there is no info from their techie page that gives that information. I will take my Kobo to Timmies next time I go there since all of them have free Wifi.

All in all, I think I have the best workaround for now. I just have to remember to delete the known network when I am done with the WiFi on my Kobo. That lets me log in directly the next time I activate my Kobo by tapping on the wanted network and typing in the password at whatever app requiring WiFi I activate (synchronise, browse Kobo books, or use the bonus browser).

It would certainly be better if I could log in automatically using known networks.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #149
mercy20
mercy20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Is/has Kobo come up with a way to allow us to manually set up an ip address in order to connect to wifi? My other half refuses to turn dhcp on at home for our wifi and I can't seem to find any sort of configuration screen on my new kobo glo so that I can get it running on my wifi at home (one of the /major/ reasons I finally decided to upgrade from my gen 1 along with the ability to read at night with the built in lights).

Or am I just reboxing this up and returning it to point of purchase since it absolutely has to have dhcp in order to access wifi?
mercy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #150
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I have a nasty NASTY feeling you are returning it

Could you maybe convince your better half to try this though
  • Enable DHCP
  • Configure it to have a range of a single IP address
  • Configure the router to assign that one IP address to the MAC address of your eReader
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote