Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Do you like skeuomorphism on your ebook software?

I am trying to find if there is something wrong with me or what, but I do not like ebook software on tablets that do not use skeuomorphism.
Few examples:

-Kindle for Android
-Nook for iOs

Is it me, only? I even find distracting reading if pages move right to left, instead of gracefully changing as a real book's page.

The curious thing is that this does not bother me on eink devices as the whole page dissolve before displaying the next one.

Wonder if someone else it is like me.

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Not an issue for me. . .

I dislike the fake page turn, just get me to fresh text as quickly and as efficiently as possible. In fact I miss the auto scroll that almost ALL the ebook reader software used to do on my Palm devices. Why do we need to constantly touch the screen or push buttons? The only one that seems to do it is Moon Reader and their implementation is kind of weird, in my opinion.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When I'm ready for the next page I want it as quickly as possible. My perception would be that a simulated page turn was slowing things down.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Hail, no!
A thousand times no!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I like them. They are cute and fun to watch and I admire the ability to create them. Then I turn them off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I don't mind it. In general I don't like skeuomorphism, as I prefer to just get my information displayed precisely and as detailed as possible. But reading an eBook is a relaxed situation and giving it a laid back feel is welcome, and at the same time, I don't really care if I have 800 or 900 words displayed on a page in that case.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
On the whole, I don't care for it - it's trying to trick me into believing that I'm reading a physical book, and I'm not - I'm reading an electronic file. I suppose it would be cute for a bit, just to be impressed with someone's artistic and programming ability, but after awhile it would probably begin to annoy me.

but then, I don't like reading on my iPad in general, but much prefer my paperwhite.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I don't like them. Though maybe flash can do same job.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I like them. They are cute and fun to watch and I admire the ability to create them. Then I turn them off.
Pretty much this.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Is it me, only? I even find distracting reading if pages move right to left, instead of gracefully changing as a real book's page.

The curious thing is that this does not bother me on eink devices as the whole page dissolve before displaying the next one.
In reference to the page turn animation I guess I am like you.

I argued until I was blue in the face that the page turn animations were a waste of programming until I tried one in Moon+Reader. Surprisingly I find that the transition helps relieve some of the strain from these old eyes of mine. I too think it is akin to the slower transition of eInk readers.

Bottom line is I was surprised that the eye candy of animated page turns actually had, for me, a physical benefit as well.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I am trying to find if there is something wrong with me or what, but I do not like ebook software on tablets that do not use skeuomorphism.

if my reader had skeuomorphism, I would apply an ointment to get rid of it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To further clarify my position: I don't want/need animations that imitate a real book page being turned. But at the same time, I'm not a fan of instantaneous change either. I need some sort of visual indication that something, in fact, did happen (or is happening); especially with touch screens. The page turns in the Kindle reading app on my Fire HD is a bit too unnoticeable for my tastes. I often don't know I "misfired" on turning the page (I tap, I don't "swipe") until I find myself reading the same page over again. So a bit of a flash, or motion of some sort is preferable to me to near-instantaneous change. But I certainly don't want a grandiose "curling of the page" and/or a soft, swooshy page-turn noise every time I tap the screen, either. Some sort of balance would be nice, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I need some sort of visual indication that something, in fact, did happen (or is happening); especially with touch screens. The page turns in the Kindle reading app on my Fire HD is a bit too unnoticeable for my tastes.
So a bit of a flash, or motion of some sort is preferable to to me to near-instantaneous change.
+1^^

As a general rule skeuomorphism does nothing for me, but the page turn animations provide more function than I ever would have thought before I tried one.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have page turns turned off. I want the next page to instantaneously appear so I continue to read seamlessly.
Although to be truthful, if page turns were on, I would never notice them since I am oblivious when reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Here is my weird issue, tell me if I am the only one, or if you can even follow this:

My Sony reader has touch turns and page turn buttons. There is no animation, unless you count the e-ink flash as a transition/animation (ha ha). The page turn button icons have < for back and > for forward. I match the touch turns to this: I swipe RIGHT to go forward and LEFT to go back. It would be confusing to have my swipes go one way, and my buttons go the other way. (and I do switch between buttons and swipes all the time.)

But the convention when reading on a phone or tablet is to swipe LEFT to go forward. This is due to page turn animations: you "pull" the page to the left to get to the next page. So I swipe one way on my reader, and the other way on my phone. Once in a blue moon, I get it wrong because I'm accustomed to reading on one or the other. I guess my next e-ink reader will most likely not have physical buttons, and I'm wondering if I would switch to using left swipe to go forward.

So, those of you with e-ink readers, and those of you with no animations, do you swipe left or right to page forward?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote