Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
zeigerpuppy
zeigerpuppy began at the beginning.

Device: zaurus SL-3100, maybe Iliad soon, still looking
Hello and a request for opinions T2010 vs Iliad

Hi everyone,
I am very interested in getting a mobile device for reading PDFs for research purposes.
I have a lot of experiences with different OSs, I guess you could call me an OS slut... Amiga, Linux, Mac OS X, Windows CE, QNX Neutrino, etc. I run 3 linux servers and also have a small web-hosting/development company.

I have been using a Linux based Zaurus 3100 for more than a year and have been impressed by what can be squeezed out of such a small device with linux...

So, my question... I am so undecided about whether to get an Iliad or to get a tablet PC. Until recently battery life would have been the clincher, but the Fujitsu T2010 gets 8hrs +, enough to get through the work day and apparently has an outdoor viewable screen.

Does anyone have any advice on how the experience of reading PDFs compares between a tablet PC (running linux/windows) and the Iliad?

Also, I have read the posts but I still don't quite get it as to why Iliad cannot suspend... it has almost the exact same hardware as my Zaurus which suspends very happily indeed... surely this could be kernel hacked, even if it was by saving a ram image to CF for reloading upon reboot.. actually this would probebly take almost as long as booting normally anyway!
zeigerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're buying a machine specifically for reading PDFs, I'd go for the Tablet PC. The iLiad is as good as eInk devices get for reading PDFs, but it still doesn't compare with Adobe Reader on an LCD screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
zeigerpuppy
zeigerpuppy began at the beginning.

Device: zaurus SL-3100, maybe Iliad soon, still looking
Thanks Harry, I appreciate the advice.
The main thing I was picking up from the forums is that people are saying that for extended reading, the e-ink is easier on the eyes.
I certainly find that I fatigue more quickly reading off a screen than on paper, do you think that e-ink displays are noticably better for extended reading that an LCD?
zeigerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeigerpuppy View Post
do you think that e-ink displays are noticably better for extended reading that an LCD?
Oh yes, without a doubt. The advantage of a Tablet PC, though, would be that a "Letter" or "A4" sized PDF would be much more readable on a 10" or larger screen than on an 8" eInk screen, which is what the iLiad has. The iLiad is as good as it gets for reading PDFs on eInk, but if you are ONLY going to be reading PDFs, I suspect that the Tablet PC would be better. Of course, if you have any interest in using the machine for reading fiction as well, that would very much tip the scales in favour of the iLiad.

What do other people think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are willing to lug around 4 lbs then the T2010 will certainly give you PDFs closer to full size than the iLiad. The other issue is eye strain, which is apparently caused by screen flicker (no flicker with E-Ink). The few PDFs I have tried were all readable on the iLiad, but I have not read PDFs for an extended period.

The iLiad is the most Zaurus-like of the existing e-book Readers, but the range of software available is still quite limited (e.g. much less than a Nokia 770 or 8X0). It is primarily a device for reading and note taking with some capability in other areas.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert