Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #931
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Horribly mangled PULL request via GIT as per usual. Damn I'm classy.

still, the code is there. as you can see from the cumulative diff there is no sum ill-effect from my crappy commiting.

IN other news:
EDIT: REMOVED LINK TO TWOBOBS CHROX KPDF BUILD....
Links to nightlies now available on the extensions page until the official TOUCH support appears.

Will update the kpdf extension files too while I am at it, until the main support appears in kpdf.

Cheers.

EDIT: Done. and linked

Last edited by twobob; 02-20-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: cumulative diff
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #932
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question...

Best practice for this TOUCH BUILD.

should I point people to a set of nightlies? rather than providing a build on the extension support page

I am concerned it will be badly out of date very quickly.

Would appreciate input on that.
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #933
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Horribly mangled PULL request via GIT as per usual. Damn I'm classy.

still, the code is there. as you can see from the cumulative diff there is no sum ill-effect from my crappy commiting.

IN other news:
Have got the chrox TOUCH build done now. may make it available on the extensions page for a little while until the official TOUCH support appears.

Will update the kpdf extension files too while I am at it, until the main support appears in kpdf.

Cheers.

EDIT: Done. and linked
Thanks for everything, I tried to install Kual but not everything went perfectly and so I went back to use the kpdbooklet to launch Kpv-for-the-touch. This version works much better Kpv solving almost any problem I had (the menu now work).
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #934
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
should I point people to a set of nightlies?
I think this link would be better.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #935
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj74 View Post
Thanks for everything, I tried to install Kual but not everything went perfectly and so I went back to use the kpdbooklet to launch Kpv-for-the-touch. This version works much better Kpv solving almost any problem I had (the menu now work).
"not everything went perfectly" - I assume you mean USING kindlepdfviewer as opposed to installing KUAL.

The "menu" issue (reported by thomass) is fixed in the latest nightly (I think) - and is EXACTLY the reason for this post. The version I was providing currently has the menu-not-showing issue in (IIRC) This I REALLY REALLY want to swap to providing links to the latest TOUCH nightlies...

for the record: I installed https://github.com/chrox/KPVBooklet just to see what it was about (and did some code diving) but I didn't actually get any new booklets??? that I could see??? LOL!!! so I guess that makes two of us who struggled with alternate technologies! Doubtless I did something "wrong"

hehehehe.

But the point is valid. KUAL MUST provide links to COMPILED nightlies for the touch rather than the horrid "we build it and serve it from the SUPPORT THREAD" approach we have now.

No doubt this will be a non-issue RSN. but right now it still is.

AH!!! *looks up * Thanks Thomass!
https://code.google.com/p/kindlepdfv...downloads/list

it is then...
: )

*goes to fix things*

Last edited by twobob; 02-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #936
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

menu disappears when using the KUAL only and this bug still exist on the latest builds. (not a big problem for the Touch users)

installation of the KPVBooklet makes Kindle open the certain type of documents (PDF, html, epub, txt, etc) with KPV directly within the default screen. It even makes Kindle display epub files like mobi files on the official file manager screen. However since this make it impossible to use the native PDF reader I don't want to use it at least for now. ( for example up to activation of the "Go to" function)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #937
twobob

All fixed up now. although thomass advises that the latest build still has an issue or two with menus... (although I just tested the latest nightly on mine and the menus seem to show up fine? even after 4 re-starts [pictured]) Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Many thanks for the tips on the link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_172.png
Views:	312
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	101576  

Last edited by twobob; 02-19-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #938
twobob

is it the age old... "pillow thingy not show after close" that is the problem? [pictured] caused by the eips file selection menu??

is that the problem?

personally I do a restart pillow and be done with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_173.png
Views:	315
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	101577  

Last edited by twobob; 02-19-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #939
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Am I misunderstanding the problem?
this menu is OK. Problem exist on the menu which should be active on the file manager screen. (after using the "return to file manager" item on this list. ) .

ie follow this steps:
  1. using KUAL> use this item: open KPV on documents
  2. see that there is a menu on the top of the file manager (has the title:"Home Menu")
  3. open a document
  4. return to the file maneger using "return to file manager" item of the "Document menu"
  5. try to open the "Home Menu" again

(13-61st lines of the reader.lua )

Last edited by thomass; 02-19-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #940
twobob

hmm yeah.

I notice that the status bar keeps peeping through. and that the area assigned to the click is also the area assigned to the status bar...

I dropped the killall -stop cvm back into my kpdf.sh (clearly a bit risky but meh I'm testing and I can use ssh access to restart it in the event of EPIC FAIL)

now my menu works every time.

don't suppose it could be the click is getting swallowed up?
anyways.

I see your point and can now replicate. also can make the issue go away as indicated.

TBH.... I would be comfortable with monitoring the HOME key and simply assuming that a HOME key click was a request to QUIT.

That would be fine. Also, that being the case, one could then drop the relevant pillow/home search bar "tidy up" bits at the kpdf.sh script end.

I should set aside some time to test but I have next to no time right now.

thanks for the heads up
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #941
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
"not everything went perfectly" - I assume you mean USING kindlepdfviewer as opposed to installing KUAL.

The "menu" issue (reported by thomass) is fixed in the latest nightly (I think) - and is EXACTLY the reason for this post. The version I was providing currently has the menu-not-showing issue in (IIRC) This I REALLY REALLY want to swap to providing links to the latest TOUCH nightlies...

for the record: I installed https://github.com/chrox/KPVBooklet just to see what it was about (and did some code diving) but I didn't actually get any new booklets??? that I could see??? LOL!!! so I guess that makes two of us who struggled with alternate technologies! Doubtless I did something "wrong"

hehehehe.
I think my problem with Kual happened because I installed the program with fw 5.3.3 and not with 5.3.1.
I'll try again. Thanks for the effort.
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #942
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
KUAL works with both 5.3.1 and 5.3.3 -

BUT you **must** jailbreak while on 5.3.1 !!!
And then replace parts of the jailbreak after upgrading to 5.3.3

For hints, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192

You can stop once KUAL is again operating (right after slash's solo).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #943
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
installation of the KPVBooklet makes Kindle open the certain type of documents (PDF, html, epub, txt, etc) with KPV directly within the default screen. It even makes Kindle display epub files like mobi files on the official file manager screen. However since this make it impossible to use the native PDF reader I don't want to use it at least for now. ( for example up to activation of the "Go to" function)
I'm sure chrox implemented "backdoor" to open PDF with native reader in KPVBooklet. Here is the commit with this change (with comments on usage). Didn't try it by myself, though.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #944
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I'm sure chrox implemented "backdoor" to open PDF with native reader in KPVBooklet. Here is the commit with this change (with comments on usage). Didn't try it by myself, though.
Tested as working perfectly.

My pdf's now open in KPDF by default. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #945
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
the menus seem to show up fine? even after 4 re-starts [pictured]
Csound, eh?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote