Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you wear reading glasses with your reader..?? (if ya need them)
Yep 169 68.15%
Nope 79 31.85%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Without my glasses, I have trouble finding my glasses!

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I'm nearsighted but do have bifocals. I don't use my glasses for reading & don't need the bigger font except for the books with very small print.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #48
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I wear glasses but since I've gotten older I have trouble focusing close-up. I have bifocals but I can read longer and with less eyestrain if I take my glasses off. I have to hold the book a little closer though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #49
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I keep my Sony 650 set on Medium which I know is too big for some people. I use my reading glasses when I'm really settling in to read, but I don't need them for short bursts.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #50
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I am pushing 71 and use one pair of varifocals for everything -- reading, driving, pottering around. I put them on when I get up and take them off when I'm about to sleep. Otherwise I take them off only for showering or swimming.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #51
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
When I had my second artificial lens put in I told my dr that I spend a lot of time both reading and on the computer, so he put in a lens that allows me to do both without glasses. Basically I stayed myopic though to a much lesser degree than I was before. I need my glasses for distance, rather than for closeup.

But I usually kick up the font size because it's just easier to read that way, due to distortion in one eye from a prior retinal detachment.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #52
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Yes.
Since I always wears glasses (except in bed or in water), it's a rather easy question to answer
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #53
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I don't use glasses normally, but do for reading. It's not the font size but the focusing - without glasses I can't comfortably focus on text that's less than 2' away.
At £1 a pair I have them scattered everywhere.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #54
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Without my glasses, I have troble finding my glasses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Count me in here -- I have specific places I put my glasses when I take them off, and if I vary from that, I spend lots of "touchy-feely" time finding them again.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #55
marty888
marty888 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 - wifi + 3G
Without my glasses, I couldn't find my Kindle, let alone read it!
marty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #56
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I even wear glasses to bed so that my dreams aren't fuzzy.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #57
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'll do you one better. I wear contacts all the time, even in bed. 2-week extended wear, throw them away when done. Thus to be 100% correct I technically wear glasses when reading, though the extended wear lenses are the next best thing to Lasik at least for me (and without the risk of eye damage from surgery).
Those things are great. I have 30 day ones. They may cause my eyes to rot out of my head eventually but whatever.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #58
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I wear glasses unless I'm sitting or laying in a positon that allows me to hold the reader closer up, and I also need to use larger fonts. I use from 175% to 225% of the original font size because I also have huge floaters that block my vision.

When I had cataract surgery 5 years ago I wanted both eyes for close since I read and us the computer a lot. Unfortunately when the first eye was done I found I could only see from 14 to 18 inches clearly so I had the other eye done for distance, but that was over corrected too so I now wear glasses that correct both my distance and close for mono vision. The only problem is that I really need trifocals so my midrange vision isn't clear.

Ok, pity party is now over. I found mono vision pretty easy to get used to, and it's a lot better than using bifocals for reading - it's great to be able to see a whole page at a time without constantly moving my head and I can look up and see distance too.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #59
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I even wear glasses to bed so that my dreams aren't fuzzy.

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #60
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Both, I enlarge the font and discard my tegular glasses for a set of readers.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote