Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
joselitux
joselitux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF metadata not written sending to device

Hello

I usually send PDF to my kindle but noticed the metadata is not properly written based on the data I've inserted in Calibre.

I've checked properties and the metadata plugins are active for pdf but nor converting to other format neither sending to device the metadata is modified.

The PDF keep the same metadata no matter how many times i changed it in Calibre.
I use Windows 7.

How can i solve this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by joselitux; 05-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
joselitux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Some PDf files have disabled the updating of metadata. Not much can be done, other than converting them to MOBI if possible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
joselitux

ahá, thanks kovid for your quick response but...it happens to ALL my pdf.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
joselitux

any valid answer?

I've tested this issue creating a PDF with openoffice with same results. Calibre Can't modify the metadata

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am having the same problem, and didnt have this issue before until today. Actually, it is all my ebooks, cant get any metadata.

Last edited by Pushka; 05-19-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joselitux View Post
I've tested this issue creating a PDF with openoffice with same results. Calibre Can't modify the metadata any help would be appreciated
I am having the same problem, and didnt have this issue before until today. Actually, it is all my ebooks, cant get any metadata.
@Pushka Can't get any metadata is very different from can't modify PDF metadata. Please detail your problem exactly. If your problem is a significantly different problem from what has been described here you might think about starting a new thread.

@joselitux I tested my ability to change the Title and Author on a PDF file and when I sent it to my, PRS-505, device and the metadata was updated as expected.

Assuming that your PDF metadata plugins are enabled then it would seem you are not doing one of the three things that has a chance of getting the PDF metadata updated.

1. Metadata is updated when you use the Send to Device feature. The file sent to the device is updated not the file in the library.

2. Metadata is updated when you use the Save to Disk feature. Again The file saved to the disk is updated not the file in the library.

3. Metadata is updated when you convert a file. When a file is converted the newly converted file in the Calibre library will have had the metadata within it updated.

If you only update the metadata in the Calibre Library, then you use explorer to drag and drop the file to your device the metadata will not be updated or if you email it to yourself or your device the metadata will not be updated.

If your PDF metadata writer plugin is disabled you will never update metadata in PDFs.

Also keep in mind that sometimes PDF files won't update.

That's the limit of my knowledge in this area. If you can't update the metadata within any of the valid scenarios above you might want to reboot your machine or uninstall, reboot and reinstall Calibre.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-19-2010 at 04:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That's true dwanthy. Originally I was just trying it with PDFs and hence the first post then I tried an Amazon book and the metadata download failed with that too.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Same issue here. I've posted this problem long time ago in many other threads but no solution is provided.
I know the metadata is modified via send to device or converting books and the plugins are on.

I use this workaround: Use QuickPDF tools to change metadata BEFORE inserting the pdf to calibre
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaweb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
That's true dwanthy. Originally I was just trying it with PDFs and hence the first post then I tried an Amazon book and the metadata download failed with that too.
Same issue here. I've posted this problem long time ago in many other threads but no solution is provided.
I know the metadata is modified via send to device or converting books and the plugins are on.
As it turned out Pushka's problem was very different, He had a proxy issue that prevented Calibre from accessing the net, even unable to fetch news. Apparently the error also caused IE to have problems with the accessing the net.

He is now able to download metadata.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote