Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Kindle Paperwhite Teardown

One more, say nothing, Kindle paperwhite teardown:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog-sp...677/#msg153677

Thirty minutes of nothing to say.

- - - -
The serial port location on the Kindle paperwhite:

The second image is the one from post #4, the original image that was provided by h1uke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kpw_serial.png
Views:	1415
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	95843   Click image for larger version

Name:	kpw_serial_pinout.jpg
Views:	1485
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	95890  

Last edited by knc1; 11-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
all kinds of interesting "empty" bits. And not jut the voice-over!

"Looks like there's a hidden screw under the top, Little bastard!"

Classic
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kpw volunteer needed

View the top post video at 16:36 and again at 21:30
That is my first guess at the location of the serial port.

Please, someone with needle point probes check if that is the serial port connection.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
it is at 21:30, see the attachment for pinout.

1.8V, 115200 8N1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kpw_serial_pinout.jpg
Views:	11048
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	95828  
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
it is at 21:30, see the attachment for pinout.

1.8V, 115200 8N1
Both times are the same location, just that one is a rotated view from the other one.

But yes, that is the one I suspected, thank you very much for confirming them and making the labeled picture.

Reason:
It is impossible to lock out a user who can use the serial port for access to both u-boot and the kernel's operator console port (same port as shown).

Thanks! Added to the hardware / serial port index.
h1uke should get a zillion bragging rights for that research!

Last edited by knc1; 11-09-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Please, someone with needle point probes check if that is the serial port connection.
ZOMG I Don't know if I can handle another 30 mins of him saying nothing.

(turns down sound) .. goes to look

EDIT: Ah yes. I was still busy being seduced by the Sim and 3g - not vigilant : ) Good catch.
definitely worth a poke

Last edited by twobob; 11-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
ZOMG I Don't know if I can handle another 30 mins of him saying nothing.

(turns down sound) .. goes to look
Post #4 has a still picture attached.

You really don't have to watch the first 20 minutes of nothing.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
twobob

A little bit clearer pinout diagram...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PaperWhite-Serial-Pinout.jpg
Views:	3017
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	104092  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
anyone know what part number the e-ink display is?
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Atter
Atter began at the beginning.

Device: PW, PW2, KV
Do we have an alternate serial port on Paperwhite?
Because i bought one and it's pads are totally messed up... I can't solder there...
Atter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atter View Post
Do we have an alternate serial port on Paperwhite?
Because i bought one and it's pads are totally messed up... I can't solder there...
Nothing accessible on the board that we know of. (the SoC has five).
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
Doc H
Awesome Student
Doc H began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Hey Guys!

Does "TX" mean the Output of the serial port or the solder joint that has to be connected to the TX-Cable of my TTL-adapter?

In the first case I would connect the pin on the Kindle that is titled as "TX" to the RX-Cable of my USB-adapter. Kindles Output to the Computers Input and vice versa...
Doc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
Hey Guys!

Does "TX" mean the Output of the serial port or the solder joint that has to be connected to the TX-Cable of my TTL-adapter?

In the first case I would connect the pin on the Kindle that is titled as "TX" to the RX-Cable of my USB-adapter. Kindles Output to the Computers Input and vice versa...
First case.
Pins are always labeled relative to the signal on them.