Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
It will not run on 32-Bits Linuxes
If you recompile it will be much more better that we are going to have the 64-Bits and the 32-Bits version
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I'm having a bit of a problem using the Frontend for Windows. After clicking on Convert, the program would just hang and doesn't respond.

My OS is VIsta. I've tried to run the program normally, also as admin, but the program didn't seem to work in both cases.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #18
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
It will not run on 32-Bits Linuxes
If you recompile it will be much more better that we are going to have the 64-Bits and the 32-Bits version
I don't have easy access to 32 bit linux -- unless there's a way to compile it for 32 bit linux using 64 bit Lazarus. (You'd have to tell me how, if so.) I was hoping someone else would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I'm having a bit of a problem using the Frontend for Windows. After clicking on Convert, the program would just hang and doesn't respond.

My OS is VIsta. I've tried to run the program normally, also as admin, but the program didn't seem to work in both cases.
Do you have the actual soPDF program installed alongside the Frontend? If so, have you tested it from a command shell?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

I downloaded "soPDF_Bundle.rar" from the first post, and extracted the contents to the same folder. I'm not familiar command shell usage.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Hmm, have you already tried to convert using another PDF file?

Just do a test with a small PDF file with about not more than 10 pages.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #21
greenapple
Evangelist

I've tried a few. But the same thing happened. Or didn't happen. The program took a nap and no output was created. The program then had to be closed with task manager.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I've tried a few. But the same thing happened. Or didn't happen. The program took a nap and no output was created. The program then had to be closed with task manager.
Same problem here:

- SoPDF and GUI installed in the same directory

- Gui started via Explorer
- Any PDF-File chosen
- All fields in GUI filled out, category chosen
- Press "Convert"
=> Program hangs, process explorer shows also instance of "sopdf.exe" is running.

Even after some minutes, nothing happens. If sopdfGUI is killed, the child process (sopdf.exe) stays (also multiple instances) and have to be cleaned up manually.

Sopdf.exe runs perfectly from commandline.

Any Ideas? User rights problem?

Regards
Ras

Last edited by rasbadar; 01-16-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: clarity
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Have either of you tried the GUI I made?
You can find it here.
It would be nice to get Nathan's working, but this might help narrow down the problems.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #24
greenapple
Evangelist

Hi frabjous, your GUI software has worked like the proverbial charm on my Vista.
Thanks very much!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Please help a stupid person

So, to get this thing to run, *exactly* what do I need to do? Just click on the three attachments and let them do their thing? Once I get the interface in the screen shot I think I can handle it, but how do I get it? Speak slowly and use small words

I'm looking forward to finding a solution. In landscape my PDF's as-is are readable, but awfully small. All they need to be comfortably readable is to eliminate the white space!
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #26
frabjous
Wizard

If you're using Nathan's GUI you really only need one of the attachments. Assuming you're on Windows, get:

soPDF_Bundle.rar

That's a .rar file, which is like a.zip file: it's an archive that bundles together other files. I think there are just two in there. You need to extract those files. If you have a program that will unpack them, you can probably just double click, or maybe right click on the file and choose "Extract" or something like that. It depends what you have installed. If that isn't doing anything, you'll need some un-raring software like peazip, and then you can extract the files using that.

Once extracted, I think you'll have two .exe files: soPdf.exe and soPDF_frontend.exe. Clicking on the latter should get you to the screen from which you can "take it yourself"... (though you might consider creating a shortcut to it in a menu or desktop).
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

OK, I've mostly figured this out

So, I've successfully cropped a few files. But, I can't figure out how to leave them in portrait. I want to have the device rotate them to landscape (like it does with the original file), so that when I annotate and so forth the menus come up oriented the right way. Right now they read an awful lot better but the menus and annotation keyboard is sideways . I've tried selecting just the "white space cropping" by itself and tried clicking the "reverse landscape" along with it. Near as I can tell, it comes up as the same orientation.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #28
frabjous
Wizard

Try "FitWidth" or "FitHeight" rather than one of the 2x options.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Try "FitWidth" or "FitHeight" rather than one of the 2x options.

I haven't had a chance to fiddle around much--I've been tidying up things at work and at home preparing for a weeklong trip with a 5 year old and a not-quite-three year old. Hopefully when we get to Phoenix I can pawn the kids off on the in-laws and have a chance to do some comparisons of what works best.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #30
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Nathan,

I have the same problem as described above on my XP Professional SP2:

After clicking "Convert", the button remains pressed down, and the application does not respond anymore. The converted file is generated, though.

In my case, selecting "Reverse Landscape" does not influence the result: no reversing happens (unlike in frabjous' application).

Thought you might find it helpful. Thanks for your efforts!
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote