Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No place does the form say that the request has to be public domain or creative commons. I have asked people with a Jetbook to request some eBooks we know have DRM or are illegally going around the net like Harry Potter. But nobody wants to risk the result.

Read the post I made on the Jetbook Comparison chart when it comes to comparing the 505 to the Jetbook.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=30
everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think JSWolf takes it a little too far, you actually try to discredit the jetBook every chance you get which i think is unfair. you should get one yourself and try it out, even if it doesn't have DRM support, not everyone is looking for it so being stuck on that is meaningless - move on.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Thanks for the advice guys. Let's not get into a discussion about what Ectaco does or doesn't post on their website because to be perfectly honest, that has absolutely no influence on my buying. I don't like some of the "claims" they've made but as long as their product is quality and does what I want it to do then I'm not going to worry about it.

What's this about LCD's "swimming" in sunlight?

What do you mean that the Jetbook can't do "complex EPUB's"?

Many other 5" e-readers are coming out in the next 3-6 months? Can you post some links for those? Will they be significantly improved compared to the Jetbook or as cheap as the Jetbook currently is now?

People have stated that you get used to the screen flash. That may or may not be true. All I know is that from what I've seen on YouTube is that I don't like it right now! The Sony 700's delay seems to be minimal but the 505's is pretty significant.

I'm not terribly worried about battery power. Jetbooks website states that the battery lasts for 20 hours. They actually say that it lasts for about 2000 page turns more than the e-ink books! I think they're being less than honest here. I'm sure you can get more page turns than an e-ink book but that's only if you keep hitting the page turn button and don't actually spend any time reading the text! But as I said, I'm not too worried about the battery. As long as it can get me through a day's worth of reading that is fine. I have no problem plugging it in when I go to bed.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I got my jetBook for $179 delivered from Fry's a while back. At that price, it is an excellent value. I would never pay the $299 retail price for one though and I really like mine! The size is wonderful and battery lasts long enough to not be annoying. I have no problem with lack of DRM support. The overall software is good with support for folders and deleting books on the device.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
LuBiB,
My experiences with the jetBook are similar to yours. Also, jgray and Kris777 have posted links (in another jetBook thread - it would be great to have a place to group this all together!) explaining how to format the classics download (at manybooks.com, etc) and how to format PDF to display perfectly on the jetBook. I've been playing around with classic titles from manybooks.com and the result great! Allows for custom fonts, font sizes, and margins too.

There are many LCD-based and hybrid reading devices starting to emerge in the market. Today, for size, cost and overall usability - the jetBook is an excellent choice!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just one more point - I have read many blasting criticisms of the Ectaco (jetBook manufacturer) customer service for book-locating service (or lack thereof) - which I think is unreasonable and naive to expect in any case. It should be noted that I haven't seen any postings of complaints due to poor service of the actual device or firmware support, which is actually the important issue when you purchase a device. I can't say the same for other large (eink) reader manufacturers. Trading in the jetBook only because there aren't unlimited free books reminds me of the saying "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"

As a matter of fact, the whole "free book" discussion sounds so unrealistic to me that I have wondered whether it is "for real".

Note: I wrote an email to Ectaco cust service to try and explain the misunderstanding and side-effects this phrase engenders. I hope that they modify the wording. I don't think that the level of disagreement over this issue is complimentary to anyone.

Last edited by rgeorg; 06-04-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: additional info
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Many other 5" e-readers are coming out in the next 3-6 months? Can you post some links for those? Will they be significantly improved compared to the Jetbook or as cheap as the Jetbook currently is now?
----------------------------------------
There is Astak Pocket Pro comming
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48106

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22658
See the end of the thread

Astak Pocket Pro is based on Hanlin. HAnlin V3 6" devices are at the moment the only e-ink device (besides iliad) that has folder support, so I expect that Pocket Pro will have folder support as well.

Pocket Pro is supposed to have Epson controler, and that might mean that there is no "inverted flash" during page turn.

There will be more news before weekend. RobertB from Astak is supposed to get first two prototypes on Friday.

The planned price is at the moment $199

Another very important consideration for me that OpenInkpot - the open source firmware - works on Hanlin, so I expect it will also work on Pocket Pro. Sooner on later (and I would bet on sooner).

Netronix is also comming see
http://techvideoblog.com/computex/ne...e-ink-devices/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48265

You see that cover?
That gives the "Crush resistant" a whole new meaning

If you look at the video carefully, there is "images" entry in library view with an icon that might mean folder.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
OP - take a look at EZ-Reader

I am waiting to buy EZ-Reader when it goes on sale again at Fryer's. I already have a kindle 2 but was looking for another device for occasional reading of library e-books. I actually figured out how to make do with my kindle to read library e-books in mobi-DRM format. I still want buy an EZ-Reader (although no longer in a hurry), its mainly for the following reasons:

1) its easy to use, supports more formats & foreign languages and not too expensive -- Fryer's had it on sale online for ~$239

2) easily to replace battery -- I hear it powers on standard nokia battery; so if and when my kindle 2 goes crazy and gets sent back to Amazon to replace battery, I'd have the EZ-Reader to count on continuous support for e-book addiction ;-)

Best of luck in your search for an e-book reader that suits your needs.

deltame
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
one more thing ...

At the end of the Netronix video from my previous post
There is that gorgeous looking 5" device
Q: "when will it ship? Is it already available?"
A: "Already available"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've actually been looking at that Hanlin v5. It actually looks like it supports more formats than Jetbook and it seems to support a lot more languages, including Japanese. Can anyone confirm from previous versions of these that Japanese is no problem? I would probably enjoy reading some manga (which is probably a completely different beast altogether from regular text) and my girlfriend is Japanese so it would be great if she could read Japanese novels.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just one more point - I have read many blasting criticisms of the Ectaco (jetBook manufacturer) customer service for book-locating service (or lack thereof) - which I think is unreasonable and naive to expect in any case. It should be noted that I haven't seen any postings of complaints due to poor service of the actual device or firmware support, which is actually the important issue when you purchase a device.
I respectfully disagree. One of the MOST important things you need to know when buying an ebook reader device is what content is available for it and secondary to that how much that content will cost you.

Ectaco blatantly advertises that you can read ANY book for FREE if you have the Jetbook. The fact that this is false if not the possibility that they are directing you to illegit sites to d/l ebooks is VERY pertenient.

Although I perhaps do agree that expecting truth in advertising is, as you say, " unreasonable and naive to expect". So caveat emptor I guess.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Well I think I may have talked myself out of a e-reader for now. I'm fairly happy with my iTouch and I'm intrigued by this new Ezreader/Hanlin/Bebook mini that's coming out. $200 is still pretty cost prohibitive for me so if it's set to sell for $200 then that means that it will (eventually) be discounted for less!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #27
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
For the record:

Quote:
What's this about LCD's "swimming" in sunlight?
That is in reference to mine. I have a defective unit. Its not enough of a defect for me to bother getting it replaced. Its still readable even when it does 'swim' and I can fix the issue in 5 seconds. No one else has reported seeing this problem. Firmware 30i may have fixed it.. I'm waiting for it to pop up again.

I'm sure there are defective eInks out there as well so I'd not count it as a negative.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #28
rgeorg
Guru

RobertB has promotional price on EZreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltame View Post
I am waiting to buy EZ-Reader when it goes on sale again at Fryer's.
1) its easy to use, supports more formats & foreign languages and not too expensive -- Fryer's had it on sale online for ~$239
deltame
If you check the really long Astak thread you will find in yesterdays postings that RobertB, the Astak sales exec., has offered a $239 price (maybe with shipping included? you'll have to check) on the 6" EZreader to all mobileread.com users, direct from Astak. He provides a contact name and number to call for this offer. This is the result of a long give-and-take regarding Frys running out of product so quickly. I think that the EZreader sounds like an interesting product, and I enjoy RobertBs participation on the forum.

pilotbob - Also, I don't ever believe cereal boxes when they print "New and Improved." I received a response immediately from Ectaco support saying that they had forwarded my note to sales/mktg dept. I'll be interested to see if they retract. I can't believe that I am the only person to mention the problem to them (or we can be kind and say misunderstanding....). For the record, the list of sites they refer users to are all legit public domain.

Disagreeing is good, and I appreciate the reasonable tone of your post. I prefer to think it's more an imperfect interpretation - or at least I can say that I (speaking strictly for myself) never even began to think of the statement as a carte blanche for ebooks. I suppose that living/working in an ESL environment has sensitized me to these types of situations. I have a (albeit) small collection of ebooks, I enjoy reading classics (public domain will keep me happy) and it is becoming increasing difficult to purchase ebooks from the EU anyways. So, although your book-purchasing rqrmt is perfectly appropriate for you - it has little relevance for me. So, it makes sense for someone in that (your) situation to purchase a Kindle perhaps, or a Sony - or some other reader which has a large associated bookstore and DRM-support. Good thing we have so many options available, with many more coming.

"Truth in Advertising?" - let's not even go there. (I worked in sales/marketing for many years)
Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #29
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
If the OP would carefully read my lenghty posts in the Other Devices section, many of his questions will be answered. To sum up: I found the LCD display more readable in average lighting than an eInk display. Yes, the Jetbook reads Mobi, epub, FB2, TXT and PDF. Yes, most of the CSS/formatting gets thrown away with the current firmware (I have been informed by Ectaco that new firmware is coming). Full page PDF on any 5-6 inch screen is far less than ideal. Curently, no DRM formats are supported (I understand that this is supposed to change as well). The lack of DRM support doesn't matter to me at all.

As I stated elsewhere, even with the current firmware issues, I find the display very readable and the device easy to use. I paid $170 and am happy with my purchase as is. When new firmware arrives, things will only get better. Is it the perfect reader? No, but none of the other readers are perfect, either. You weigh the pros and cons, make your choice and then live with it until you are willing to spend money for your next toy.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
If you check the really long Astak thread you will find in yesterdays postings that RobertB, the Astak sales exec., has offered a $239 price (maybe with shipping included? you'll have to check) on the 6" EZreader to all mobileread.com users, direct from Astak. He provides a contact name and number to call for this offer. This is the result of a long give-and-take regarding Frys running out of product so quickly. I think that the EZreader sounds like an interesting product, and I enjoy RobertBs participation on the forum.

pilotbob - Also, I don't ever believe cereal boxes when they print "New and Improved." I received a response immediately from Ectaco support saying that they had forwarded my note to sales/mktg dept. I'll be interested to see if they retract. I can't believe that I am the only person to mention the problem to them (or we can be kind and say misunderstanding....). For the record, the list of sites they refer users to are all legit public domain.

Disagreeing is good, and I appreciate the reasonable tone of your post. I prefer to think it's more an imperfect interpretation - or at least I can say that I (speaking strictly for myself) never even began to think of the statement as a carte blanche for ebooks. I suppose that living/working in an ESL environment has sensitized me to these types of situations. I have a (albeit) small collection of ebooks, I enjoy reading classics (public domain will keep me happy) and it is becoming increasing difficult to purchase ebooks from the EU anyways. So, although your book-purchasing rqrmt is perfectly appropriate for you - it has little relevance for me. So, it makes sense for someone in that (your) situation to purchase a Kindle perhaps, or a Sony - or some other reader which has a large associated bookstore and DRM-support. Good thing we have so many options available, with many more coming.

"Truth in Advertising?" - let's not even go there. (I worked in sales/marketing for many years)
hey rgeorg!

i actually sent a request yesterday for the book Metamorphasis by Franz Kafka and they sent me a friendly e-mail with this link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5200

I knew i could find it on my own but i just wanted to see how fast they would find it for me and it took less than a day

all in all, im sure they won't pirate books or anything but it would be interesting to see if they change around the text about finding books a little so i will keep track of that alongside you
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote