Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
James, M. R.: Ghost Stories of M. R. James (complete collec,illus). v2. 31 May 2016

Ghost Stories of M. R. James By Montague Rhodes James (1862–1936)
With four illustrations by James McBryde (?–1904), and five by Simon Vedder (1866–1937)

The contents of this book were first published 1898~1936.
This book is in the public domain in countries where copyright is “Life+70” or less.

Montague Rhodes James was a noted British mediaeval scholar and author. He was provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905–1918) and of Eton College (1918–1936). He is best remembered for his ghost stories, which are widely regarded as among the finest in English literature. One of James’ most important achievements was to redefine the ghost story for the new century by dispensing with many of the formal gothic trappings of his predecessors, and replacing them with more realistic contemporary settings.

----------------------------
This collection includes all thirty-three of his ghost stories written for publication (posthumously published fragments are not included). The appendix presents a number of writings by James commenting on ghost stories and the supernatural.

Set in the early twentieth century, these stories are elegantly written with a restrained but powerful atmosphere of terror. Vengeful ghosts, evil demons, black-hearted men dabbling in the occult – these lurk in ordinary British locales, waiting to pounce. Without ever descending to nauseating grue and gore, James can make your hackles rise.

----------------------------
The text for this ebook was obtained from The Complete Complete Ghost Stories MOBI ebook posted on MobileRead by contributor Mousewaffle. Illustrations were retrieved from archive.org

A number of transcript errors have been corrected; segments of misplaced text re-located; missing italics restored; punctuation and spelling for several stories Anglicized; some translations of Latin and French phrases annotated. Story titles are cross-linked to in-line Table of Contents.

####
EDIT: Uploading version 1.1 --- The Special Edition of the Ghost Stories of M. R. James, with NEW cover by Mousewaffle, and a few format tweaks. Text remains the same.

####
EDIT: Uploading version 2. The New Special Edition with additional illustrations, and a few more format tweaks. The text is still unchanged.
Previous downloads: 31
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-31-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: upload version with additional illustrations
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uploading version 1.1 --- The Special Edition of the complete Ghost Stories of M. R. James, with cover by Mousewaffle, and a few format tweaks.
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
These are beautifully made editions.

However, I'm a bit confused about your titles and the differences between these two.

When I load them into calibre, the metadata reflects that they have the exact same titles.

Your summary info seems a bit confusing (to me, anyway).

One is called this: "Ghost Stories of M.R. James The Complete Collection"

The other title is this (ON THE COVER): "The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James." A few pages into the book, however, there is this title: "Ghost Stories of M.R. James The Complete Collection."

As well, the TITLES for the ATTACHED downloads are different, which further leaves me confused about the differences.

If these are the same collections, is there a reason that you would make them both available for download?

If they are NOT the same collections, can you give further information on how they differ?

--- Again, these are beautifully and lovingly realized collections, but if they're the same, then I only want to have one on my Kindle.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-29-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

I have just uploaded Version 2, with additional illustrations, in mobi and azw3 formats.

My apologies, Dr. Drib, I can only plead to end-of-month grogginess after dealing with baffling financial and inventory reports.

The text remains the same in all versions I have posted, only some formatting improvements. This upload has 5 additional illustrations--- Big Thanks to DMcCunney for finding those!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I have just uploaded Version 2, with additional illustrations, in mobi and azw3 formats.

My apologies, Dr. Drib, I can only plead to end-of-month grogginess after dealing with baffling financial and inventory reports.

The text remains the same in all versions I have posted, only some formatting improvements. This upload has 5 additional illustrations--- Big Thanks to DMcCunney for finding those!

Thank you. -- I'll download the newer version.

I'll be checking your other titles you've put together, because of the way your ebooks look.

Thanks, again!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ghosts, horror, short fiction, supernatural, terror