Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
HerrMuffin
HerrMuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (touch)gen7 A.K.A KT2
What Jailbreak is best for my kindle?

Hi!

I have a kindle at FW-version 5.6.5 with serial-number prefix "90C6" A.K.A. Kindle Basic (2014), KT2, BASIC.
Spoiler:
I got my ads removed by amazon and the fun thing is: I switched Wi-Fi on and got the message of ads being 'removed' and I still had time to go airplane mode before the kindle had downloaded any new firmware. Just something that can be good to know

I want to Jailbreak my kindle but I am not sure if I should go with the Jailbreak for FW 5.6.5 or if I should update my kindle and use the Jailbreak for any FW version.

Are there differences in what 'programs' you can install for the different jailbreaks?
Pro's and Con's for them both?
Which one is easiest to maintain?
HerrMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
They have an identical result.
They require the same maintenance - none, both will auto-reinstall after an update.

I suggest that you let it update to 5.8.5 (current) before starting the jb process, then use the most recent jb on it.

It has been out since July, literally thousands of people have used it, and with very few trouble reports.
I haven't even had to tweak the directions in a long time (other than cosmetics).

Last edited by knc1; 10-27-2016 at 12:01 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
The 5.6.5 JB does not require down- and upgrading. So it's much faster. And it's also quite easy. There's no risk to use the wrong FW.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
HerrMuffin
HerrMuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (touch)gen7 A.K.A KT2
Thanks for the good replies!

I will update the FW and go with the 'newer' Jailbreak then, feels good that it has been well tested and the fact that it works for several FW versios is no downside for me.

HerrMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
If you plan to downgrade to 5.6.0-initial there's no point in updating to 5.8.5 beforehand.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
If you plan to downgrade to 5.6.0-initial there's no point in updating to 5.8.5 beforehand.
Yes, there, is.
It will let the Kindle build the db files that can not be accessed in the correct format.
The poster did not mention how many books, notes, bookmarks, etc. they now have - so the only advice that is safe to give is let the Amazon update process correct them for the version that will be run.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote