Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #136
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Hi people,

jbaach thanks for your time, I know how precious time can be. My question:
Is the TOC in pdf's in m92 collapsible? I think I saw in one of your video's that it isn't.

md02439
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #137
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi jbaach, I quickly added another test file, a tiny scanned PDF, but with small font size, for general readability testing on the M92. Thank you.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #138
measure
measure began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
Here you go: http://baach.de/Members/jhb/folland_djvu.jpg/view

In reality its readable on both devices. The m92 is blacker, but also more blurry on the edge of the letters. What the 903 lacks in ink, the m92 has too much :-) (I would probably prefer the m92 though).
For the nth time, thank you again jbaach. At least in these pictures, I prefer the display of the M92.

As a Linux user, this discussion regarding the software really is the deciding factor for me. I am glad this came up. In addition to adhering to my principles as a consumer, this means that the M92 may potentially be improved by the community, as jbaach mentioned.

Once a device is running on Linux and you have root, you never get bored of it. There's always something to tinker with.

Thank you again jbaach,
Ryan
measure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #139
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by md02439 View Post
Is the TOC in pdf's in m92 collapsible? I think I saw in one of your video's that it isn't.
From what I see / try its not collapsible at all.
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #140
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.a.k View Post
I wonder if its possible to change or add fonts to the M92?
Thanks in advance.
yes it is quite easy. you simply drop the font file in the fonts folder
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #141
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
The difference cannot be compensated by software. Pearl screen just has got deeper black color.
You say it. Concerning hardware the M92 is superior, where PB9x may have some exclusive software features like multitasking.
But the point is: One can improve/modify software more easily than hardware, so M92 is IMO the better investment (as far the M92 has no hardware issues like with the IR-sensors and speakers).

@jbaach: Thanks to you for the interesting videos! How is the sound quality and TTS?
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #142
Schmitti
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yes it is quite easy. you simply drop the font file in the fonts folder
Oh, that's interesting. Which formats work? ttf? otf? dfont? ttc? etc.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #143
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaach View Post
This leads to the idea of using the pdf merge for filling out / signing pdf forms (I think more of 'official' forms)... nice.
yes exactly my thought. this is the first ereader that you can have a form, fill it out and turn it back in- at least this easily. might be nice in the doctors office for filling out all of those patient forms..

jbaach sorry to ask this again but could you try zooming in , then scibbling, then zooming out on both? thanks.

Scmitti- definitely ttfs and im not sure of the others right now. jbaach could test a few formats for us if we ask nicely and supply them
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #144
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Hi jbaach, thanks for your great work so far. Much appreciated. I have uploaded a test file (large scanned PDF from my university, ca. 400 MB, no OCR). Things to test would be (1) the overall readability on the M92, incl. Greek glyphs in the footnotes, e.g. on page 27, (2) browsing such a large document (loading times etc.), (3) checking if the remove-margin-functionality works with scanned pages, and (4) how the M92 handles these large files if they're loaded into the reader software directly from an inserted SDHC. (I'm asking because I vaguely remember reading that some Boox models had problems/glitches when dealing with files from external storage media.) Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Hi jbaach, I quickly added another test file, a tiny scanned PDF, but with small font size, for general readability testing on the M92. Thank you.
And here you go:
for 1 and 2 - check the video and pics, but I think it would work quite fine (and one could zoom in or turn the device by 90 degrees. 3 did not work - I think the background is not uniform enough. 4 I had to reset the m92 after giving up on loading the 400mb file to the sd via usb. Used my cardreader instead. Then things worked really fast on the m92 (and still ok'ish on the 903). The 903 was really fast when uploading the file btw.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #145
jbaach
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
sorry to ask this again but could you try zooming in , then scibbling, then zooming out on both? thanks.
Thanks for reminding. Interesting question. Answer here: http://youtu.be/sOMBo0AT8IQ

(spoiler: seems to work quite fine on both devices.)
Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #146
Schmitti
Enthusiast

Wow, jbaach, you're a schatz.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #147
Dulin's Books
Wizard

thank. great to see that working on both devices. its very hard for me to write small on the devices i have but being able to do that on my x60 and m90 has allowed me to "shrink" my writing to something that fits in the margins and between lines
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #148
jbaach
Connoisseur

Slightly OT, but maybe still relevant in the context of comparing devices:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=6
(on the last opened pages feature of the pocketbook 903)
Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #149
Schmitti
Enthusiast

Yes, this is probably the one feature I will miss when I start working with the M92. Often you have to deal with endnotes instead of footnotes, and it would be great to have a list of recently opened pages on the M92 to jump back and forth.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #150
jbaach
Connoisseur

In my experience a forum like this is great for discussing things like we at the moment. But for new people coming to the thread it can be quite hard to read through all posts (and threads grow long). A much better place for storing information imho is a wiki.

Maybe together we can enhance the wiki pages of this marvelous site? I have added a section "Questions, Answers and Features" to each of the pocketbook 903 and onyx book m92 pages.

Now, if you had a question/request, and you found the answer somewhat helpful, could you maybe add the question/answer to the section in the wiki? It would surely help others a lot in the feature! :-) And yes, adding other people's questions/answers or other features that you know is appreciated as well...

In the long run we might end up together with a list of features that are good and interesting (or maybe bad), which could then used by producers to build the even better devices and firmwares we all want to have....

Last edited by jbaach; 12-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.