Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best choice for following reading needs?

1. e-ink, small and light, $300 or less

2. most of my books will be in pdf form, though most of this is NOT technical, so very few charts, tables and graphs

3. some will be scanned pdfs or pdf printouts of web pages - hoping these will be legible when the reader is in landscape mode

4. Outside of pdfs, much of my other reading will be RSS feeds, and it seems like Calibre is the way to go for that, so a reader that works well with Calibre seems prudent

5. Wireless connectivity would be nice, but not critical, as I can connect the reader to my laptop every morning and update the RSS feeds and download any pdf docs I want to read that day.

6. Durability - a reader that will hold up to the rough and tumble of life

From what I've read, it seems the Sony PRS600 would be a good choice (plus Sony has it on sale for $200 shipped). What do people who've tried the 600 think? Any other readers I should consider?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I love my 600. I find it to be very flexible in that it can read a lot of formats. If you have Word documents, you can resave them as RTFs and transfer them to the 600. It's lightweight, it does have some glare, but a simple move of the wrist takes care of it. Add in the mp3 player & expansion slots makes it a fairly well rounded device.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert