Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #31
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am not sure that challenges like this are a good idea. As others have pointed out, reading should be fun... and putting this sort of pressure on yourself can detract from the fun of reading.

Another thought is, that such pressure can lead a participant to choose different works than they might otherwise. They might start choosing shorter works to make it easier to meet the challenge (No time for War and Peace this year...), and they might feel that they can't choose short story collections unless they intend to read them cover to cover.. and they might omit literary magazines all together (after all, does a literary magazine count as a book?).

--
Bill
It's really not that serious of a challenge. The main idea behind it is to have FUN, I guess a more appropriate title would be "Keeping track of your 2010 reads", but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

My reading habits haven't altered. I still read what I want to read and I haven't switched over to shorter reads just to add more titles on my list.

If I reach 100 titles by the end of the year it would be great, if I don't the world will definitely not come to an end.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
If I reach 100 titles by the end of the year it would be great, if I don't the world will definitely not come to an end.
Now, that is just pure conjecture at this point.

The problem I see is that inevitably, some stumbling block pops up that demands your full attention for a month or so. Some big project at work, family problems, etc.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #33
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
Now, that is just pure conjecture at this point.

The problem I see is that inevitably, some stumbling block pops up that demands your full attention for a month or so. Some big project at work, family problems, etc.
Now if it was 2011 this year then I would agree with you.

No, stumbling blocks at the work front since I work for myself and the day consists of waiting for customers to pop in, hence loads of time for reading!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #34
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
In my case the goal was to make me read stuff I otherwise wouldn't. Only it's not to make me read shorter stuff and increase my count. It's just to force me to pick up books and actually give 'em a try rather than discard anything I don't like the cover of. I have a bad habit of doing just that.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
It's just to force me to pick up books and actually give 'em a try rather than discard anything I don't like the cover of. I have a bad habit of doing just that.
I'd argue that it's a good habit. There are so many good books out there, why force yourself to read something you really don't like? Even if some of them turn out to be good and you missed it, you would have substituted something else you liked.

I use to get in the middle of books that I didn't care for then force myself to stick it out just so I can say I read it. Then, I questioned why and now if the story doesn't grab me, I move on to something else.

I'm not a sci-fi or fantasy fan, never have been. But, every time I'd see somebody gush over The Hobbit, or Discworld, I force myself to try it. I'd hate every minute. Now, I have no qualms with giving up on something I don't like and picking up something I do. The only caveat to all this is occasionally, somebody will tell me that a book is slow starting but gets really good in the second half. Those times I do try to stick it out.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Oh, I don't force myself to read what I dislike. I just try books, and discard the ones that disinterest me (usually within a chapter or two). It's not about reading books I would otherwise dislike, but rather about not even bothering to find out whether or not I might like them. (And also thereby finding authors I hadn't tried before and might turn out to like.)

And I still don't bother starting anything with a premise that I know I won't like. For example I still don't bother with sci-fi or portal fantasy since I have no interest in either.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #37
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I think I a part OCD, I just seem to be compeled to finish a book once I start it. Even if it is a stinker. I also rarely have more than one book started at a time. Knowing this about myself it is sometimes hard to venture off into an unknown quantity/quality? Thinking I mihgt get trapped into read something I don't like. I have put a few down but it is rare for me.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #38
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
I think I a part OCD, I just seem to be compeled to finish a book once I start it. Even if it is a stinker. I also rarely have more than one book started at a time. Knowing this about myself it is sometimes hard to venture off into an unknown quantity/quality? Thinking I mihgt get trapped into read something I don't like. I have put a few down but it is rare for me.
The books I've read this year have a minimum star of 3... I've been very lucky of what I've bought or downloaded...

I don't need an incentive to read, and will only read the book club winner, if it interests me, but I do love to be involved... I would never have read Stiff, if it had not been in the book club... I'm glad I did.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #39
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I would never have read Stiff, if it had not been in the book club... I'm glad I did.
What did you think of the liquid cremation? I just don't see people doing this to their loved ones. Seems very practical though for medical/veterinarian disposal.
I live jsut south of the university where the author visited, maybe I can get a tour.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm doing the challenge as well, and I'm enjoying it. This is the first year that I've been keeping track of which books I've read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #41
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
What did you think of the liquid cremation? I just don't see people doing this to their loved ones. Seems very practical though for medical/veterinarian disposal.
I live jsut south of the university where the author visited, maybe I can get a tour.
Any way to dispose of a corpse sounds terrible... thankfully the body is only the container which held the person, so I think the liquid cremation could be the way to go in order to save the environment.

I would certainly go and have a look, if I lived that close...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Any way to dispose of a corpse sounds terrible... thankfully the body is only the container which held the person, so I think the liquid cremation could be the way to go in order to save the environment.

I would certainly go and have a look, if I lived that close...
Some people have suggested burying deceased individuals vertically in order to save precious land space on an increasingly populated planet.

I'm afraid that would make my feet hurt.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #43
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Some people have suggested burying deceased individuals vertically in order to save precious land space on an increasingly populated planet.

Vertically, but upside down then, Tom?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I love it when management solves a problem by introducing another one.

Pat, you're not in management by any chance are you?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
At least I could see where I'm headed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I love it when management solves a problem by introducing another one.

Pat, you're not in management by any chance are you?

BOb
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote