Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The KK also has much more memory, enough for 3500 books, than the PW. I could give up, reluctantly, the keyboard but I hate giving up the storage. I'll only go to the PW if my KK dies. Since I've disinfected my books I might even look and see if other lines like the Kobo have enough memory and move all my books to some other brand.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
With the KoBo you need to remove DRM from your amazon books then put them into epub format. And I think it uses the Mini SD chips for extra storage.

Draw back with that Harry no light sigh....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle Touch has TTS.
Is the touch responsive? I am frustrated with my Paperwhite touch responsiveness. I have to touch it 2-3 times to turn a page sometimes.

I was considering the $69 Kindle 5 because it has buttons. But I don't think it has TTS. I really like TTS.

Are they going to update the K5 or discontinue it I wonder? Any speculation?

Last edited by new; 09-30-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Kindle 5 (put wrong version)
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The $69 Kindle is a Kindle 4, and no, it does not have TTS. The Kindle Touch and Paperwhite are Kindle 5.

The Touch is generally less responsive than the Paperwhite because it has a slower processor.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The Touch is generally less responsive than the Paperwhite because it has a slower processor.
I have both a Touch and a PW and find them equally responsive when it comes to page turns. You're right of course in saying that the Touch has a slower CPU, but the only practical consequence of that (in my personal experience) is a slightly slower redraw time for things like complex PDF pages. For a normal Mobi book it makes no difference at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Buttons break. Adding four buttons (two on each side) to turn pages is asking for issues. I miss the page turn buttons too, but I understand why they had to go.
I've been using kk for years now and buttons work as the first day. Not so the battery that's dying.
Also putting 2 buttons is cheap.

It's a problem of designs, is a touch model -> no buttons. I think is a stupid thing. Onyx box has buttons and touch, sd card, music. Yes it's a bit expensive but i'll pay the extra money in a kindle with that features.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting - I find that I can type a lot faster on the soft keyboard of the PW than on the rubber keys of the KK, especially given the rather convoluted method of getting at non-alphabetic symbols on the KK.
That's why I never warmed up to the KK: it eliminated the dedicated number keys the K2 had.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #23
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I've got to get up and go right up the machine to see if it's working. Mike
Most printers have a built-in web interface that you can access from your PC/Laptop to see all sorts of info with your browser including problem codes, toner/ink levels, paper tray info, etc.
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiizhar View Post
Most printers have a built-in web interface that you can access from your PC/Laptop to see all sorts of info with your browser including problem codes, toner/ink levels, paper tray info, etc.
Yes, that's right. But my point was that the old system (buttons and LEDs) was simple. I only had to glance in the general direction of the printer to see what was happening. It seems to me that having to navigate to a web page to achieve that same result would be even less simple than having to get out of my chair and walk over to the machine.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Is the touch responsive? I am frustrated with my Paperwhite touch responsiveness. I have to touch it 2-3 times to turn a page sometimes.

I was considering the $69 Kindle 5 because it has buttons. But I don't think it has TTS. I really like TTS.

Are they going to update the K5 or discontinue it I wonder? Any speculation?
Mine is responsive enough for me. It looks like it is the last touch screen Kindle to have speakers, TTS, and 4GB of storage. Those features have been sacrificed in the PW1 and PW2, and I think in the non-touch Kindle 4 as well.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
I have a lot of nostalgic appreciation for the KK. My first ereader was a Kindle 3 3G, which I thought for the last year had been lost on my honeymoon and that I just now refound! It is a terrific reader. I didn't realize how much I missed the physical page turn buttons.
I agree with HarryT that the system for typing numbers and symbols is rather difficult, but as far as the keyboard itself, I like it a lot. I find the D-pad to be surprisingly useful and easy as well.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
I have a lot of nostalgic appreciation for the KK. My first ereader was a Kindle 3 3G, which I thought for the last year had been lost on my honeymoon and that I just now refound! It is a terrific reader. I didn't realize how much I missed the physical page turn buttons.
I agree with HarryT that the system for typing numbers and symbols is rather difficult, but as far as the keyboard itself, I like it a lot. I find the D-pad to be surprisingly useful and easy as well.
My first Kindle reader (Sony PRS-505 was the first reader for me) was the K3 also. But I gave that to my hubby, who was a non-reader, and has now converted thanks to me

I miss the manual turn buttons. I also have the big Kindle 9.7" DX and I didn't like the weight, but the buttons were noisy, and I wanted a Paperwhite. I do love the PW, but I can't get to love the page turns. It seems to be hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I think they are going to do away with manual buttons, and that bothers me so much that I think I have to get the $69 model before the discontinue that, but I wanted it lighted like the PW.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine is responsive enough for me. It looks like it is the last touch screen Kindle to have speakers, TTS, and 4GB of storage. Those features have been sacrificed in the PW1 and PW2, and I think in the non-touch Kindle 4 as well.
Yeah I thought I would miss the larger storage in the PW, but when I actually fill it to capacity I notice it runs sluggish and I can't find the books I want to read anyway. It takes to much work and time to page through all of the books to find it. So now I only load the books I really want to read.

Well I see that model is discontinued as well. Goodbye TTS. I didn't use it all that much, but it was nice knowing it was there.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
new

Did I good ordering the Kindle 4 Non-Touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The $69 Kindle is a Kindle 4, and no, it does not have TTS. The Kindle Touch and Paperwhite are Kindle 5.

I went and ordered the Kindle 4 Non-Touch $69 because I am just tired of touch screens and was concerned they are going to discontinue that non-touch model. But now I am wondering were they going to update that model after I ordered it?

Guess I could call Amazon, but they aren't going to leak any info to me if they were going to update the model.

I tried the K4 at the store and I loved the fast page turns, and I missed the buttons. I am burned out on touch screens,

Last edited by new; 10-04-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I meant "Did I Goof" can't fix it either :- (
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I went and ordered the Kindle 4 Non-Touch $69 because I am just tired of touch screens and was concerned they are going to discontinue that non-touch model. But now I am wondering were they going to update that model after I ordered it?

Guess I could call Amazon, but they aren't going to leak any info to me if they were going to update the model.

I tried the K4 at the store and I loved the fast page turns, and I missed the buttons. I am burned out on touch screens,
If you like the device, then you did the right thing ordering it

TBH I don't think that there will be any groundbreaking new firmware updates to that device anymore. But then again, it already does everything it should
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote