Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Made in...?

Hullo all,

Not really the right forum, but couldn't really find a better place for this post so here goes...

Where are the various e-ink devices made? Who's the ODM/OEM (if known?)

Jinke - almost certainly their own factory.
Sony PRS-xxx - Own factories in Japan?
Bookeen CyBook & NAEB - ? PVI...?
iRex Iliad - Own factory(?) as it's custom hardware (Wacom digitizer)

Just idly wondering!

Looking forward to the answers!
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
Hullo all,

Not really the right forum, but couldn't really find a better place for this post so here goes...

Where are the various e-ink devices made? Who's the ODM/OEM (if known?)

Jinke - almost certainly their own factory.
Sony PRS-xxx - Own factories in Japan?
Bookeen CyBook & NAEB - ? PVI...?
iRex Iliad - Own factory(?) as it's custom hardware (Wacom digitizer)

Just idly wondering!

Looking forward to the answers!
I think it's safe to assume these are OEM products created by factories in China.

NAEB is a custom version of the Bookeen Cybook. PVI makes displaya, not full devices. Bookeen is contracting manufacture to someone.

Same deal with iRex: they aren't big enough to have their own plant. Assembly is done on a contract basis.

I suspect even the Sony Reader is actually made in China. Sony is big enough to have their own plants, but manufacturing costs in Japan will be much higher. Sony already sources stuff from China. They had an issue a while back with batteries from a Chinese supplier.

Jinke is the only one that might actually make the reader in its own plant.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Every one of the eInk readers gets its screen from PVI in Taiwan - they are the only manufacturer of such screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PRS-500 was made in Japan, the 505 is made in China.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every one of the eInk readers gets its screen from PVI in Taiwan - they are the only manufacturer of such screens.
Indeed. The reason why I put "Bookeen/NAEB - PVI(?)" is because I VAGUELY seem to recall reading somewhere that they opted to use PVI's reference design. Ditto for the STAReBOOK.

I notice from the wiki that apparently "EREAD" makes those, so at least that's answered.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Rechard
Rechard began at the beginning.

Sony's prs505 made in China Shenzhen, Amazon's Kindle made in China Hangzhou, Cybook,StareBook,Naeb made in China Shenzhen, Jinke's Hanlin made in China Tianjin, iRex's iLiad made in Philippines.
Rechard is offline   Reply With Quote