Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Kindle App for iPod/iPhone and missing Google Wikipedia links WITHIN a book

Some time ago Amazon removed/was forced to remove the ability within the Apple products Kindle App (or at least within my iPod Touch's App) to highlight a word in any book and get a popup including not just a Full Definition but links to Google and Wikipedia.

This was HUGE for me: I don't need a dictionary, but to be able to quickly wiki a reference was learning at its FINEST.

It was SO important to me that I was forced to figure out how to delete that version of the app and re-upload the OLD version - one that also has the Boy on the Hill load screen FAR more beautiful IMHO than the stupid orange and grey word Kindle.

Since I don't want to jailbreak my iPod Touch 4th Gen I have been afraid to update my ios version past 5.0.1 and must update all my OTHER apps one by one by one as no "update all" for me.

This matters now as I want to buy an iPhone 5 and am wondering if these links are NOW available in the latest version of Kindle or if I still must see if there's any way to upload and have my OLD app version run on this phone?

When I look at -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...480&#highlight --

it shows ONE PICTURE of a page highlighted with the popup including Google and Wikipedia, but UNLIKE the equivalent ANDROID discussion does not MENTION this feature so I remain confoozed! ;(

And yes: I have spent two hours trying to find out the status of this issue re: the app online, and can't tell if it's been resolved NOR can I tell why Amazon removed/was forced to remove the links in the first place!

Thanks to any who help!

Last edited by allisondbl; 11-09-2012 at 04:08 AM.
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
The link to Wikipedia is still there and works on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4, both on iOS6. As far as I can remember it was always there, but I don't use the app very often and never the Wikipedia link, so maybe I missed something.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Bless you Priestess! Trust me: they took the links out for at least a while - not just me there are dozens of complaints all over net - but thrilled you have it. A Do you know what version of KINDLE app you have, and does it have Google as well as Wikipedia?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the Google link is also here and working. The app version is 3.4 and I updated all my apps last night, so it's probably the latest one.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Brilliant FlorenceArt - then maybe I can update everything soon and not be *quaking* at losing that use; more important to me than almost anything
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Good luck