Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile Something to Read on the Plane

Thanks for dropping by to look at my book.

And for your in-flight entertainment – A Bit of Light Literature, Short Stories & Other Fun Stuff It’s a light-hearted variety of humorous articles, short stories ranging from hypochondria to murder, plus a quiz, agony aunt column, limericks and a collection of malapropisms to keep you amused and divert you from the tedium of flying. .

“This muesli must be old. It’s got weasels in it.”

A great book to keep with you whilst travelling, and a perfect gift (suitable for both men and women) for someone who is going on a trip.

REVIEWS
"Should be compulsory reading to keep incorrigible chatterers quiet" - Frequent Flyer.
"Could also be used to ram down their throats" - Flight Attendant.
"The stories about me are hugely exaggerated" - Author's Spouse.
"Shredded drafts of this book line my litter tray. Royalties from this book will go towards proper deodorized litter and reduce complaints about the smell" - Family Cat
"What a relief that will be" - Family Dog.

Makes a great Christmas gift at only 99c/86p .

Also available as a paperback from Amazon or my website www.just4kix.jimdo.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Something-Read...6132057&sr=1-1

[Shortened URLs deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-15-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: updated information
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
People in MobileRead really don't like obfuscated URLs. They assume anyone who uses them has something to hide.

Not that your books are going to matter to be, because you've chosen to limit yourself to a format that I can't read, but you might want to edit those URLs.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
People in MobileRead really don't like obfuscated URLs. They assume anyone who uses them has something to hide.

Not that your books are going to matter to be, because you've chosen to limit yourself to a format that I can't read, but you might want to edit those URLs.
Not sure what you mean about the URLS.
I just copied and pasted the link from Amazon, and Goodreads link I used the shortened link so it can be used on Twitter etc.
What is the protocol on this site? I'm still a newbie and there is a lot of tacit knowledge that I'm not aware of.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
I just copied and pasted the link from Amazon, and Goodreads link I used the shortened link so it can be used on Twitter etc.
What is the protocol on this site? I'm still a newbie and there is a lot of tacit knowledge that I'm not aware of.
Just use the full url. So that people know where they're going.

Good luck with the book.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Not to worry, just4kix.

The amazon link was fine, and the others looked really strange to those unfamiliar with twitter, etc.

There is a good point here tho.....you can broaden your buying base considerably by having your book availiable in different formats.

This is a world wide forum, and most of our members don't have Kindles......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
We aren't Twitter, etc. We don't like clicking on obfuscated links in the hope that what's on the other end is what we hope it is, instead of a Rickroll (or a virus). It's not a matter of not knowing what they are; it's a matter of not knowing where they go, and questioning why, in a forum that allows thousands upon thousands of characters, not 140, someone would find it necessary to hide a link in order to supposedly save a few characters. Also, while we know we're not unique, we do like to pretend that we are, and get a post meant for MobileRead, not just recycled tweets. "The protocol", as you put it, is the same as it is for any forum: give us the link, not an obfuscated link to what might (or might not) be the link.

As for Amazon, their format is just one of the possible options. You've chosen to sell only to the Kindle owners. If you check the device forums, you'll see that people use all kinds of different ebook readers. Fewer than half of them are Kindles. So, by choosing to sell books only to Kindle users (and, I would bet, choosing to apply DRM restrictions to your books) you're leaving money on the table. For example, you're leaving mine; I'm a Sony user (and I don't buy books with DRM). If a book looks somewhat interesting, but the author has chosen to slam the door in my face and say "not yours; go buy a Kindle if you want to read my book" I tend to take offense.

There's nothing strange about MobileRead. Just give us the real URLs and let us buy your book. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that seems rather ordinary to me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Just4kix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
We aren't Twitter, etc. We don't like clicking on obfuscated links in the hope that what's on the other end is what we hope it is, instead of a Rickroll (or a virus). It's not a matter of not knowing what they are; it's a matter of not knowing where they go, and questioning why, in a forum that allows thousands upon thousands of characters, not 140, someone would find it necessary to hide a link in order to supposedly save a few characters. Also, while we know we're not unique, we do like to pretend that we are, and get a post meant for MobileRead, not just recycled tweets. "The protocol", as you put it, is the same as it is for any forum: give us the link, not an obfuscated link to what might (or might not) be the link.

As for Amazon, their format is just one of the possible options. You've chosen to sell only to the Kindle owners. If you check the device forums, you'll see that people use all kinds of different ebook readers. Fewer than half of them are Kindles. So, by choosing to sell books only to Kindle users (and, I would bet, choosing to apply DRM restrictions to your books) you're leaving money on the table. For example, you're leaving mine; I'm a Sony user (and I don't buy books with DRM). If a book looks somewhat interesting, but the author has chosen to slam the door in my face and say "not yours; go buy a Kindle if you want to read my book" I tend to take offense.

There's nothing strange about MobileRead. Just give us the real URLs and let us buy your book. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that seems rather ordinary to me.
Thank you for your reply.

The only reason it is on a Kindle is because I have only recently uploaded it and I have no clue as to how to offer it anywhere else.
I have never even seen an e-reader of any sort as I come from darkest Africa and only a few people have bought them as they are still too expensive over here for the average person.
No doubt that situation will change.
If you can tell me how I can offer it on other e-readers that is also free to upload (exchange rates makes things expensive) and that offers plain vanilla instructions to a technophobe, I will be happy to oblige.

I have shortened all the links to my books and website merely to make them neater and easier to manage. This I was advised to do by more technically minded-authors. I never even considered that anyome would think I was trying to 'hide' something. I did say it was a Goodreads link. Just thought someone might want to win a paperback version. Sorry for causing offence.
Here is the full URL.
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...d-on-the-plane
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

If you can tell me how I can offer it on other e-readers that is also free to upload (exchange rates makes things expensive) and that offers plain vanilla instructions to a technophobe, I will be happy to oblige.
Hi.

Try Smashwords. They have a style guide that you can follow and it is free to upload your novel to them.

If you are interested in how to format for ereaders, then take a good long read around this site. Everything you need to know has already been written.

We all started where you are now, good luck!
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Just4kix
Zealot

I've never regretted not having children until computers arrived.
I think I'll adopt nextdoor's grandchildren to assist with all these technical details.

I had a look at the Barnes & Noble website for their e-publishing, but you have to open an account and for an account you need a valid US credit card, and if you live outside the US
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Just4kix
Zealot

I tried Smashwords. You need a PayPal account for payments.
In SA we can pay with our payPal account, but cannot receive funds as the inland revenue cannot track income for tax purposes (I was forced to stop selling on eBay because of the must use PayPal rule. Another 50 countries also do not have PayPal )The inland revenue have recently relented and allowed one bank to receive US dollars only via PayPal. Unfortunately it is not my bank and to change banks would be costly and I would have to sell 1000's of downloads to be worth it.
Looks like I'm thwarted

Tags
british humour, gifts, holiday read, humour, travel