Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Bathroom Kindle!

I've had a Kindle 1 for over a year, bought two more as gifts and have a Kindle 2 on preorder.

What I'm most looking forward to about a second Kindle isn't a feature of Kindle 2, but of the new software version: whispersync.

I like to carry the Kindle in my purse but still want to have it available in bed or the bathroom (and I have to go dig it out of the purse when I get home). I've always wanted a second one to keep in the bathroom/bedroom, but since it wouldn't know where I left off on the purse-Kindle, I wasn't interested.

The whispersync feature led to my preorder for Kindle 2. I plan to keep both. And since our household has 2 Kindle-reader/owners on the same account with different tastes, we both can use the same bathroom-Kindle.

I am a bit bummed about the non-removable battery, I do use 2 in my Kindle and swap when I run low on the run (even though it's a fussy battery to swap). Although if the longer battery life is true ...
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
LOL - I like the idea of a bathroom Kindle! Hope you enjoy the Kindle 2 as much as Kindle 1.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Which reminds me, I wish the Bathroom Reader series were available as ebooks...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
LOL, now that's hard core. a dedicated bathroom kindle...wow
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Just make sure you don't set the Kindle 2 on top of the toilet. It doesn't have a rubber backing and thus can fall off more easily!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
A bathroom Kindle sounds very unhygienic to me.

It might be easier to disinfect something without a keyboard.
But chacun à son gout.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we need a study on the lifespan of poopy germs on a Kindle compared to Sony
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
we need a study on the lifespan of poopy germs on a Kindle compared to Sony
Kindle's new slogan: Shit dies on our case
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
ROFLMAO, I love this thread. What's next, an antibacterial reader?
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
i dunno. it seems to me like a dedicated bathroom kindle would be *more* hygienic than just bringing your everyday kindle in with you. it wouldn't be less-hygienic than your toothbrush (did you see that episode of mythbusters? yikes!), and it's way less destructive to wipe down the keypad, if one were so inclined, than it would be to toss that novel or issue of the new yorker into the washing machine. anyway. just be sure to wash your hands before returning to whatever you were doing before!
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
I love the idea of having multiple devices that you could store in various places and then sync, and then you don't have to bring them around with you. In the end, that's what I do with my mac computers.

If you were really paranoid about germs you could read the bathroom kindle through a clear plastic bag and replace the bag every week or so. Sounds like a pain, though. If it were me I'd just be a tad careful and not worry about it.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
What I'm most looking forward to about a second Kindle isn't a feature of Kindle 2, but of the new software version: whispersync.

ok here is the really dumb question - how will whispersync work - will I have to get in the habit of turning on to Amazon so Amazon knows where I am in the book then when I use the other Kindle turn it on so it connects to Amazon to learn where I was -- or will it just go between the 2 units....

I honestly don't know why I am being so dense about this feature...
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rho1640 View Post
ok here is the really dumb question - how will whispersync work - will I have to get in the habit of turning on to Amazon so Amazon knows where I am in the book then when I use the other Kindle turn it on so it connects to Amazon to learn where I was -- or will it just go between the 2 units...
Each Kindle (1, with 1.20 firmware, or 2) connects to Amazon's server. The "check for new items" option is now "check and sync". This may happen automatically when the screen saver comes up and whispernet is powered on, but I'm not sure this is the case.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rho1640 View Post
ok here is the really dumb question - how will whispersync work - will I have to get in the habit of turning on to Amazon so Amazon knows where I am in the book then when I use the other Kindle turn it on so it connects to Amazon to learn where I was -- or will it just go between the 2 units....
Yes, you will need to turn the wireless on to allow it to sync. Here is what the User Guide says about it:

Reading Across Multiple Kindles
If you read the same Kindle Store book across multiple Kindles, you’ll find Whispersync makes
it easy for you to switch back and forth. Whispersync synchronizes the bookmarks and furthest
page read among devices registered to the same account.
Whispersync is on by default to ensure a seamless reading experience for a book read across
multiple Kindle devices. If you would like to turn Whispersync off, follow these steps:
1. Go to http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle
2. At the bottom of the page, look for “Manage synchronization between devices. Learn
more.” Select “Learn more.”
3. Select “Turn Synchronization off.”
Once you turn synchronization off, your books will still open to the last page read on that device,
but Whispersync will no longer sync bookmarks or the furthest page read with other devices. If
you would like to sync the book manually, press the Menu button and select “Sync to Furthest
Page Read.”
Kindle 2 User’s Guide 2nd Edition 44

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Which reminds me, I wish the Bathroom Reader series were available as ebooks...
This would be awesome! I

'm an avid bathroom reader (Usually Esquire or Wired though) and a dedicated Kindle in the watercloset is a great idea! My wife would love it to, because my magazines wouldn't be strewn all around the bathroom floor. lol
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote