Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #196
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
No, I do not plan on buying a non-front lit ereader I love my Kobo Glo, KPW, and my Aura. My unlit Sony PRS 650 and my Kobo Touch have gone to happy new owners in my family. For me, an inbuilt frontlight is an essential requirement of an ereader. I am so enjoying the freedom to read anywhere, anytime without having to rely on external light sources
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #197
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
For people who want a small reader and don't need or want a front light: WHSmith now has the Kobo Mini on sale for 29 pounds.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #198
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I've been reading books for 50 years without backlights or frontlights. Never bothered me. Never used a booklight. I'm rarely someplace where I can't just turn on the lights and when I am I usually doing something where I wouldn't be reading anyway like walking home in the evening.
The need for an external source of lighting is one of the reasons I went electronic. I share a room with my brother and I often read into the wee hours so I can't just keep the lights on. I've yet to find a booklight that worked well for me. Often, they just make the book/e-ink reader too heavy and usually cast a shadow on the page which I find mighty annoying. That's why for nighttime reading, I pretty much stuck with smartphones or other LCD devices until recently.

I'm really glad we have frontlit e-ink readers now. One really nice benefit to self-lit e-ink readers that I hadn't thought of is reading while in a moving vehicle. Usually, it's just way too bright outside to read on an LCD but having to pass through tunnels, etc, meant a lot of interruptions if reading on the PRS-350. On the Kobo Aura HD, I just turn on the light and set it to around 10% or so and it's good for uninterrupted reading whether it's very sunny outside or we're passing through a dark tunnel. Just wish the firmware worked as well as and was as feature rich as the Sony PRS-350 with PRS+. In terms of features and design, I still much prefer the PRS-350. Alas, the convenience factor of the frontlit Aura HD makes it my go-to reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #199
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I have been assuming that when my K3 gave up the ghost, I would get a Paperwhite. However, a colleague brought her new PW in yesterday. I found it SO small and sort of insubstantial. And I didn't notice a big difference in the screen quality.

I use my K3 in a lighted case, and I guess I prefer the "book like" feel of the setup. Sort of has all the instant gratification of an eReader, but without a techy feel. Sounds silly, but true.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #200
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I have been assuming that when my K3 gave up the ghost, I would get a Paperwhite. However, a colleague brought her new PW in yesterday. I found it SO small and sort of insubstantial. And I didn't notice a big difference in the screen quality.

I use my K3 in a lighted case, and I guess I prefer the "book like" feel of the setup. Sort of has all the instant gratification of an eReader, but without a techy feel. Sounds silly, but true.
You do realize that the screen size in the same, don't you?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #201
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I currently have a K3 (Kindle Keyboard) and occasionally read on my tablets too. I will check out the front-lit devices when my K3 dies, but I'm happy with what I have for now.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #202
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
No front-lit e-readers in our house. So far it has been a cost saving thing, but aside from that I generally prefer the portable size of my Kobo Mini (though if they release a front-lit version I would definitely consider!). Hubby loves his PRS-350 and we found him a super clearance bargain locally for the lighted cover, so he is good to read in the dark too. If I need to read in the dark, I am happy to have a browse on my Kindle app on the iPad.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #203
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I wanted one, but now I'm not so bothered. From what I've read, they don't work so well in total darkness which is what I wanted one for. My mighty bright travelflex still works great. Not bothered for now about it. Happy to wait till someone gets it right.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #204
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I wanted one, but now I'm not so bothered. From what I've read, they don't work so well in total darkness which is what I wanted one for. My mighty bright travelflex still works great. Not bothered for now about it. Happy to wait till someone gets it right.
I use mine in darkness all the time. It's perfect. It took a bit to get the setting right but now I can read in the dark or in the light. I never change mine on my PW it stays at 8 in either conditions. I think most turn theirs down too much.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #205
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
My KPW is great in the dark. I usually have it set on 1 in the dark and 12 in normal light.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #206
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Yea, I use the light in my Kobo in total darkness almost exclusively and have no issues with it whatsoever. I never really read in bed before I went to sleep before I purchased it and had no idea I would enjoy it as much as I have. I go to bed earlier now just to be able to read on it.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #207
htm1958
htm1958 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I wake up at night, and that happens quite often, I can start reading in bed without producing any surrounding light. So easy. Also during traveling in airplane, when everybody else is trying to sleep. Never anything else anymore.
htm1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #208
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since old and decrepit people often have trouble sleeping at night, I find that an ebook reader with a front light is as much a necessity as a bedpan.

I often take both......wherever I go.

Too, I sometimes like to wander around inside a darkened house with my ebook reader and bedpan, but too often the owners will call the police and take me back to my own house.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #209
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I have a K3, a month ago I got Paperwhite. It's perhaps not a perfect device - contrast is not all it could be, it's not as responsive as I would like, and sorting/collections is still very bare bones.

But I love it. I'll never go back. I did have a lighted book cover for my K3. But to avoid disturbing my wife, I'd have to both awkwardly drape the blanket over the light to create a little tent to reduce the ambient light AND put the K3 in landscape mode (to make said tenting more doable). With the paperwhite, I just turn the light down to 5 or 6 and read. It's extraordinary.

Not to mention, my K3 with cover now seems as heavy and bulky as a brick compared to the svelte Paperwhite and case.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #210
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You do realize that the screen size in the same, don't you?
I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear Desertway was commenting on the screen size one way or the other, just the size of the device itself.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote