Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 04:26 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If I click on an EPUB file link in the book results panel the calibre viewer pops up in front - as I would expect. But… if I click on a DOCX file link, and I have DOCX unchecked in the "Use internal viewer for:" list, the calibre viewer also pops up, IMO it should pop the default handler for DOCX.
The calibre viewer is preferred as it opens to the location of the search result, there's no way to do that with another viewer.

EDIT: However on reflection, its probably more important to use the users preferred viewer. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...85ecb549d16def

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-26-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:28 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The tooltip says: "Scroll to this book in the calibre library and select it". Given there's a Mark option, what would be the point of Selecting the book if I'm not going to do something with it - e.g. edit, convert, tag, etc….
Nothing is stopping you from doing all those things, its just not assuming you want to do any of those. You could select a book just to see more details about it.
Advert
Old 06-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nothing is stopping you from doing all those things, its just not assuming you want to do any of those. You could select a book just to see more details about it.
On Windows 10 I can have the Text Search process running in the 'foreground' with the main calibre window minimised to the taskbar, or hidden behind another window.

If I do a text search whilst the main window is out of sight, and select a book from the results list, and then click on "Select" in the Book panel a dotted box is drawn around the word "Select"… that's it, a dotted box is drawn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	194563

In order to see the Selected book in the library I must hover the mouse over the Windows taskbar calibre icon, and then click on the popout for the main calibre window.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	194564

Which results in the Text Search window being hidden.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	194562

I'll leave it at that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Which results in the Text Search window being hidden.
And this is precisely why I dont want to automatically raise the main window when clicking select.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

1) Moving to Qt 6 from Qt 5. This should have no user visible changes, except that there may be a few third party plugins that have not yet been ported to support Qt 6

2) Dropping support for 32-bit builds (because Qt 6 does not support them).
This is a STUPID decision by the QT team. Plenty of excellent netbooks/laptops etc running Linux Mint 19.x that are only 32 bit.

A stupid premature decision of Linux distros, Applications and frameworks to drop 32 bit.
Advert
Old 06-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
And this is precisely why I dont want to automatically raise the main window when clicking select.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ - solved for me with a couple of Alt+Tabs

If a search is initiated whilst in a Virtual library without checking the Restrict search box option the entire library is searched… as one would expect.

But, if a book is Selected from that list, that is not in the current VL, then the book is not bought into view… nor would I expect it to. I have to switch to another VL (e.g. All books), and then reSelect the book to see it in the library list.

Which brings us back to the issue of windows hiding windows and switching between them. One can click on the Text Search button in the search bar to pop the search window back on top or use Alt+Tab.

The first phase of a search to display of the results list of titles is fast - couple of seconds to find and list a 250 books from a library of 5,000 books.

But the second phase where the first occurrence snippets are extracted is quite slow - 4 minutes for the same 250 books. I assume this because the format files must be opened to extract the snippets.

Could we have an option that displays the title list without the snippets. I appreciate the spinning wheel doesn't prevent me doing things within calibre, but it uses resources other processes could use.

BR
Old 06-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A full text search will be nice as long as it is only ever selected books.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #23
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Using calibre portable:
Option "Show indexing status" shows the index settings page, but not some clue about the index progress status as I expected.

Humble suggestion:
mention lower-left something 200 of 20000 books indexed, so you know when it indicates 20000 of 20000 books indexed it is done/up-to-date.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Using calibre portable:
Option "Show indexing status" shows the index settings page, but not some clue about the index progress status as I expected.

Humble suggestion:
mention lower-left something 200 of 20000 books indexed, so you know when it indicates 20000 of 20000 books indexed it is done/up-to-date.
Not sure what you mean the indexing status page shows you X of Y books and an estimate of time remaining, unless of course all books are indexed in which case it says so.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A full text search will be nice as long as it is only ever selected books.
See the check box labelled "Restrict searched books"
Old 06-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: I dont see a good solution for using VLs and not using restrict books. I dont want to have calibre cancel an applied vl. As for not showing the snippets, I dont really see the point, it doesnt take much in the way of resources to search through text (the text is cached the format files are not re-opened).
Old 06-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #27
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean the indexing status page shows you X of Y books and an estimate of time remaining, unless of course all books are indexed in which case it says so.
Ah, I found the info:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-27 172443.png
Views:	91
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	194591  
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #28
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Ah, I found the info:
I had a very small (test) library, that's why I missed this info:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-27 180000.png
Views:	94
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	194593  
Old 06-27-2022, 02:21 PM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
See the check box labelled "Restrict searched books"
That's good.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:07 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
A question before I install the beta - will it update in the usual fashion when 6 comes out of beta or will an uninstall/reinstall be required?
Closed Thread