Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
mfm028
mfm028 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
PDF Viewing in Kindle DX vs. DXG

Hello all,

So here's my situation. I am currently a Nook owner. I bought it with the intent to digitize my school books and put them on it to save my back from future pain.

However, I have yet to find a suitable OCR software and am basically stuck with my books in PDF. While I love my Nook, the screen real estate is just too small to view my textbooks, and while I've rooted it and installed the PDF viewer which allows me to zoom, the zooming is just not great (i.e. having to "turn" pages every line because of the amount of zoom needed to be readable).

So, I'm looking at getting a Kindle DX for the needed screen real estate. My question is which should I get, the DX or the new DXG?

To help narrow the choice, I need to know if an update has added zoom capabilities to the original DX (I would like to be able to zoom if needed)?

Does the increase in refresh rate of the DXG make it worth the extra cost (as compared to a used DX)?

Basically, for those who have used both the DX and the DXG, is it worth paying the extra $100 for the DXG?

Thanks ahead of time!
mfm028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, mfm028
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
i would say go for the graphite... i have a graphite

<no time right now to compare my graphite with my friend's DX US on video, but its clear that $100 is worth the better screen and refresh rate>

will do something similar in my youtube channel between the graphite, DX US and Kindle 3 (when my K3 arrives )
http://www.youtube.com/user/kindlePW

so far, AFAIK, the graphite and DX int'l has the same firmware/PDF program

Last edited by paperwastage; 09-21-2010 at 10:48 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
vliz
vliz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm028 View Post
Hello all,

So here's my situation. I am currently a Nook owner. I bought it with the intent to digitize my school books and put them on it to save my back from future pain.

However, I have yet to find a suitable OCR software and am basically stuck with my books in PDF. While I love my Nook, the screen real estate is just too small to view my textbooks, and while I've rooted it and installed the PDF viewer which allows me to zoom, the zooming is just not great (i.e. having to "turn" pages every line because of the amount of zoom needed to be readable).

So, I'm looking at getting a Kindle DX for the needed screen real estate. My question is which should I get, the DX or the new DXG?

To help narrow the choice, I need to know if an update has added zoom capabilities to the original DX (I would like to be able to zoom if needed)?

Does the increase in refresh rate of the DXG make it worth the extra cost (as compared to a used DX)?

Basically, for those who have used both the DX and the DXG, is it worth paying the extra $100 for the DXG?

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi.. I'm also new here. I too resort to ebook reader to digitize my textbooks and I have a lot of pdf ebooks. I bought a nook couple months ago and returned it in 1 week because I hate of how slow it is and it's really small to read pdfs.

I also tried a Refurb Kindle DX for couple days, and the pdf texts are so light, that I ended up returning it. I purchased a Kindle 3 and Kindle DXG, and compared it side by side... I'm keeping the DXG now. Although Kindle 3 is faster, lighter, and has WiFi, but for pdfs, DXG would be the best bet I guess? The screen is much darker than on the Kindle DX.. It's worth paying the extra, at least for me...

Hope this helps you a bit... =)
vliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've owned both, and the new screen on the DXG is well worth the money, IMO.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
mfm028
mfm028 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks everyone!

Vliz, yeah another complaint I have about the Nook is that the darks aren't dark enough for my pdfs, causing me to have to zoom even more creating a greater pan nuisance.

Alright, it looks like I'll be trading in my Nook for a DX Graphite. You've all been a great help!
mfm028 is offline   Reply With Quote