Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
LRF conversion with unwanted page number with file name and dates

Hi. I have a problem with converting pdf to lrf with Calibre, and hope someone could help. I have a pdf file, which has TOC, page numbers and headers. I crop the file to get rid of the page number and header, and then imported this new pdf into calibre.

I then converted this file into lrf. But when I viewed the lrf file, for some reason, it inserted its own page number at the end of every page (corresponding to the pdf pages), together with the name of the file and a date and time stamp.

I tried playing with all the options, but could not seem to get rid of this unwanted addition. I know that with the crop, these items are no longer in the pdf, but for some reason the conversion process added the page number again at the page break, together with those other unwanted items (file name, date/time stamp).

Do anyone know to stop calibre doing this? Thanks guys.
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The page numbers are still hidden in your pdf, even though you've cropped them. Most pdf cropping tools just change the page borders, all the text stays the same. Even if you use Adobe Acrobat to crop it you still need to go into some buried pdf optimization options and tell it to discard hidden text.

The only way to fix it in Calibre is to use the remove header/footer regex functions. Click the magic wand next to it to try and create the removal pattern.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednow View Post
I then converted this file into lrf. But when I viewed the lrf file, for some reason, it inserted its own page number at the end of every page (corresponding to the pdf pages), together with the name of the file and a date and time stamp.
Calibre didn't insert anything, it just took what is in your file and converted that information to LRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednow View Post
I know that with the crop, these items are no longer in the pdf
Apparently using said cropping tool the page numbers (and the other junk) are in fact still in the file. Isn't it nice to learn something new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Even if you use Adobe Acrobat to crop it you still need to go into some buried pdf optimization options and tell it to discard hidden text.
I've only experimented once or twice using Adobe Acrobat and crop (no buried optimization), but I was successful exporting the cropped PDF to html via Adobe Acrobat and having it leave the headers, footers and junk that wasn't technically either behind. I then converted it using Calibre without a hitch.

Personally I avoid using the PDF format as a source file if at all possible.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why convert to LRF when LRF is DEAD? Convert to ePub.

And as far as converting PDF. Just take the PDF and delete it. That would be much simpler. No PDF converter will do a good job at all. None of them can do it without errors So give up, move on, and enjoy a good book, not a poor PDF conversion.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote