Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Light Wedge question

Hi everyone,

I just got my Sony 505 a few weeks ago, and love it. I do a lot of reading in the dark, so I'm very interested in the cover with the built in light that Sony put up its website not long ago. However, I'm very hard on all my electronic gadgets, even when they're in protective cases.

What I was wondering about is whether or not the light itself (the plastic piece that sits over the screen) can scratch the screen or the surrounding bezel, from things like frequently flipping it over and back. I'm also wondering how susceptible the plastic piece is to getting scratched itself.

Any insights you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The plastic wedge can pick up light scratches. It won't affect the Reader's screen, as it is softer than the screen and it flips flat over the screen with no scraping at all in my experience.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Hi everyone,

<snip...>

What I was wondering about is whether or not the light itself (the plastic piece that sits over the screen) can scratch the screen or the surrounding bezel, from things like frequently flipping it over and back. I'm also wondering how susceptible the plastic piece is to getting scratched itself.

Any insights you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joanne
Hi Joanne,
I too am very rough on my devices. Anyhow I have a light wedge and I can tell you, you might be more concern with the light wedge getting scratches. The light wedge is very fragile and easily scratches.

The sony screen is quite durable and is hard to scratch. Yet I have managed to scratch the screen. The scratch is very light and looks more like a smear than a scratch.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
rhvc1
rhvc1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Regarding the use of the light wedge product, my concern is that it might actually damage the reader screen. I purchased the PRS505 one year ago for my wife. She has used it heavilly for the past year and loved it. She carried it in her purse in the original Sony cover that came with the reader and had no problem at all. After installing the wedge light case, and following the same routine for carrying the book reader (for 2 days), the screen now appears to be damaged. It looks as if pressure was placed against the right side of the screen since vertical lines appear over the right quarter of the screen. I purchased the extra coverage for the reader, so we will see how Sony responds, but when I look at howthe light fits up with the reader, it seems like it creates an opportunity for this type of damage to occur. the recess of the wedge as it mates with the screen is deeper than the recess on the bezel of the reader. Also, the hinge appears high. So with these two issues, the light will not sit flat on the screen, spreading any load, but instead concentrates any pressure on the outside of the case against the right side of the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Last edited by rhvc1; 12-29-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: clarity
rhvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
There have been a few others who have posted in regards to the wedge scratching the 505 screen
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have the light wedge cover. I have used it exclusively for the last 6-8 weeks. I have not had any issues with scratches or rubbings. I place the whole reader into a lightwedge cover and toss into my backpack. I go no where without it. I clean both screens up with lens cleaner and a lens cloth. I am happy with the cover and the reader.
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Santa brought me a separate "paperback" light wedge for Christmas to use with my print and my 500. It fits down in the pouch on the left hand side of the cover I made for my reader, so when it's not in use it's protected and it doesn't contact the reader screen. I've not had much occasion yet to try it in the dark, but I'm very optimistic. Any experiences or advice for me?
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
The plastic wedge can pick up light scratches. It won't affect the Reader's screen, as it is softer than the screen and it flips flat over the screen with no scraping at all in my experience.
My lightwedge has a lot of small marks so I finally broke down today and bought a new one. I hated to spend another $70 but I like the wedge design and am tired of reading around the scratches. I'm not opening the box until I find a way to add some protection for it.

Has anyone purchased any sort of screen protector? I've been looking around for something like the protector I use for my Iphone. I may order something from ScreenGuard. They make custom sizes so I would get something for the both sides of the wedge. If it doesn't close properly, I'd use just the outer but I would hope to protect both sides.

Anyone look into this before or have suggestions for what they do?

Thanks for any opinions!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Has anyone had problems w/ their Sony light wedge having tiny bubbles between the two plates? I exchanged the first one after a couple of weeks when a small amount of tiny bubbles developed towards the top of my screen. Now my second one has done the same thing - they seem to definitely be between the sheets of plexi? Otherwise, I haven't had any problems w/ it scratching or harming the reader screen or housing.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 AM   #10
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
i have the light wedge and found that it does scratch easily.
but a trip to any decent stationary/craft shop will provide you with a clear sticky sided plastic for the light wedge, or a sheet of clear plastic cut a couple of millimetre bigger than the screen ,which you can then slip under the gap where the screen goes under the device body.

works a treat

cheers mick.

mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote