Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
New E-reader

I've used my Palm for reading book for the last 5-6 years...

Today I received my Havon Ebook reader...

It did come with a manual, but not a 'getting started' thingo...

It looks like it's fully charged, has a multitude of book already loaded, most of them in Chinese.. It came with a 2Gig card (inserted), but will take up to 8Gig...

It has got Epub, although it doesn't say that in the documentation...

I would like to know the best way to get books on this device.. It doesn't say anything about syncing?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest looking at Books on Board help. It has generic Adobe help, and the Astak device help should also apply to most devices with mobile Adobe Digital Editions.

If the existing ebooks are in multiple folders, then the device supports folder navigation. Some devices require ebooks to be in particular primary folders (e.g. Documents or eBooks, as opposed to Music), but usually this isn't the case. Most likely you can make whatever folders you want and copy ebooks, even ebooks with Adobe DRM, anywhere you want (into internal memory or the SD card) via USB. You can also let Desktop Adobe Digital Editions copy your Adobe ebooks over for you, but then they will all end up in one particular folder.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't work it out...

Can someone please make it out in steps... using ADE..

I thought the epub reader on FF would be able to transfer, but I can't see it...

Also I registered ADE as my email address, but my Hanvon has got a different 'device ID'.. Does that matter, and if it does, how do I fix it?

I'm very frustrated, and probably too old to try out new electronic equipment, but I bought it, so I could read epub books...

If I download from Smashwords - how does it work?

Last edited by lene1949; 12-12-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Adding someting
Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I can't work it out...

Can someone please make it out in steps... using ADE..

I thought the epub reader on FF would be able to transfer, but I can't see it...

Also I registered ADE as my email address, but my Hanvon has got a different 'device ID'.. Does that matter, and if it does, how do I fix it?

I'm very frustrated, and probably too old to try out new electronic equipment, but I bought it, so I could read epub books...

If I download from Smashwords - how does it work?
Relax - breathe -okay?

Now plug your reader in your PC with the USB cable that came with it. No cable? No problem! Every run of the mill USB to mini-USB cable should do! Once connected, the reader should show up as a drive, just like an SD-card or a USB-stick. Still with me?

Now for more of this:
We do have 2 possibilities now: 1) undrmed ePub: Like the ones from MobileRead, Feedbooks, Munseys, Manybooks, Baen, Gutenberg and Google (actually there are hundreds of thousands of them) and, of course, Smashwords has unDRMed ePubs, too. You just copy and paste on your Reader or on your SD-card in the Reader (that should show up as an extra drive, normally) if you don't understand Chinese, just delete those chinese books while you're there! Your reader should recognize those books now when you unmount your device and start it! Bingo!

2) While being plugged to your PC, open ADE. I understand that you have an account with ADE, right? If not, please register. It's free! Now your reader should appear in the ADE interface (on the left hand) Click on the reader icon, authorize your device! Go buy some drmed ePub! Once authorized, transfer your drmed ePubs from the Adobe library to your reader! This might be done however you like. Important: Put those books in the folder Digital Editions! Unmount, unplug, restart! Voilà!

In case of further trouble, please let us know!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-26-2009 at 04:15 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post

Important: Put those books in the folder Digital Editions!
Could you tell me please why it is important to put ePub books into the Digitial Editions folder? I've been putting ePub and mobi books into the same folder on my ECO reader - the folder is usually for an author - and have opened them from the folder without problems.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Relax - breathe -okay?

Now plug your reader in your PC with the USB cable that came with it. No cable? No problem! Every run of the mill USB to mini-USB cable should do! Once connected, the reader should show up as a drive, just like an SD-card or a USB-stick. Still with me!

Now for more of this:
We do have 2 possibilities now: 1) undrmed ePub: Like the ones from MobileRead, Feedbooks, Munseys, Manybooks, Baen, Gutenberg and Google (actually there are hundreds of thousands of them) and, of course, Smashwords has unDRMed ePubs, too. You just copy and paste on your Reader or on your SD-card in the Reader (that should show up as an extra drive, normally) if you don't understand Chinese, just delete those chinese books while you're there! Your reader should recognize those books now when you unmount your device and start it! Bingo!

2) While being plugged to your PC, open ADE. I understand that you have an account with ADE, right? If not, please register. It's free! Now your reader should appear in the ADE interface (on the left hand) Click on the reader icon, authorize your device! Go buy some drmed ePub! Once authorized, transfer your drmed ePubs from the Adobe library to you reader! This might be done however you like. Important: Put those books in the folder Digital Editions! Unmount, unplug, restart! Voilà!

In case of further trouble, please let us know!
*Breathing....*

I didn't restart the reader.. The Thornbirds I transferred to a new folder, and it was gone... The book I transferred from ADE wasn't there either...

This morning the reader needed to be restarted and everything was there...

How will I know an epup book is DRM'ed?

I have the firefox add-on for epub books... Do I use the 'save' button to get them onto my reader?

Had a better look at the reader today... It has approx 2100 pre-loaded books in English... I haven't yet looked at the Chinese selection

Thanks for your help... Can't believe I didn't restart the unit... I even restart my car, if something doesn't work...

Last edited by lene1949; 12-13-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard

ADE is worked out...

How do I get epub books onto the reader??? Step by step guide, please... I'm old and obviously not very smart...

I run Windows Vista - My browser is Firefox with the epub add-on.

Epub books are in FireFox Add-on... HOW to I get them onto my reader?

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

P.S. I probably shouldn't worry much... With 2100 English books preloaded, I wouldn't run out of reading material soon - probably never...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could you tell me please why it is important to put ePub books into the Digitial Editions folder? I've been putting ePub and mobi books into the same folder on my ECO reader - the folder is usually for an author - and have opened them from the folder without problems.

Regards, Alex
Sorry Alex! I think I was a bit unclear here. Digital Editions folder is only important for DRMed ePubs.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
ADE is worked out...

How do I get epub books onto the reader??? Step by step guide, please... I'm old and obviously not very smart...

I run Windows Vista - My browser is Firefox with the epub add-on.

Epub books are in FireFox Add-on... HOW to I get them onto my reader?

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

P.S. I probably shouldn't worry much... With 2100 English books preloaded, I wouldn't run out of reading material soon - probably never...
Good morning Lene

To transfer your ePubs, you have to find your ePubs on your hard drive. best ask Mikel (the creator of that plugin and MR member) where those ePubs are stored. If you don't want to go looking for them, just open them, save them (using the disk icon) right on your Hanlon. That's it pretty much!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard

It probably does sounds easy for you guys, who know how to do it...

How about a step-by-step example? Like how you'd explain it to a child? Yeah... that should work...

Thanks..
Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
lene1949
Wizard

I found a way to do it... Putting the files into Calibre and sending them to device works...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Alex! I think I was a bit unclear here. Digital Editions folder is only important for DRMed ePubs.
Thanks. I routinely remove DRM anyway, so that may explain why I've had no problems.

Regards, Alex
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard

How do you remove DRM?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
How do you remove DRM?
Sorry, we're not allowed to tell you on the forums; it's against policy. There is a long thread on the epub forum, and private messages are often helpful.

Regards, Alex
Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
lene1949
Wizard

Thanks, Alex... I probably wouldn't have the brains to do it anyway...