Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Correct missing author info in a Mobi file?

A friend just bought a Kindle and has downloaded some PD or Baen books (not DRM'd, but I'm not certain of the source) that don't have the author in the right data location to allow the Kindle to sort books by author. She has downloaded Creator but isn't sure if that tool will let her fix this. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best way to fix the Author info in an existing Mobi file?

She also wants to know how to combine multiple chapters in an HTML formatted book into one Mobi book. Creator again? Or would another tool be easier to use?

Feel free to point me to an online reference-- I don't usually deal with mobi formats, so I wasn't sure where to direct her.

Thanks!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Unfortunately MobiPocket Creator can't import MOBI files. The command mobi2mobi (part of MobiPerl) can add an author to an existing MOBI file. Note that there are Windows binaries and a Windows GUI for MobiPerl.

If the MOBI files are from sources with multiple formats, then I suggest downloading the LIT (MS Reader) version. This can be exploded to an OEB ebook (HTML, images and a .opf metadata file) using Convert LIT (I recommend the GUI version, google for ConvertLIT GUI) and then converted to MOBI using Windows MobiPocket Creator (just import the .opf file). Most likely the author will be correct, but if not Creator allows you to change it. Often the LIT version has larger images (better for the Kindle) than the MOBI version.

MobiPocket Creator can handle multi-file HTML, but if there isn't an existing .opf file you have to drag and drop the HTML files into Creator in the correct order. I'm really not sure what the best approach is today but when MobiPocket gets it act together for ePub import the best option will probably be Calibre's any2epub because it has very flexible multi-file html support (at present MobiPocket Reader/Creator does not import an ePub TOC correctly, which negates Calibre's advantages).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
A friend just bought a Kindle and has downloaded some PD or Baen books (not DRM'd, but I'm not certain of the source) that don't have the author in the right data location to allow the Kindle to sort books by author. She has downloaded Creator but isn't sure if that tool will let her fix this. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best way to fix the Author info in an existing Mobi file?

She also wants to know how to combine multiple chapters in an HTML formatted book into one Mobi book. Creator again? Or would another tool be easier to use?

Feel free to point me to an online reference-- I don't usually deal with mobi formats, so I wasn't sure where to direct her.

Thanks!
you can do this easily with Mobi2mobi. I fix the author and the titles on most of my library book mobipocket books with it. I found the binary version (uses command prompt) the easiest to install and very easy to use. If you need further help using Mobi2mobi, just post and someone with walk you through the steps.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Thanks, everyone!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
tlstringfellow
tlstringfellow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A problem I have run into is that I have quite a few books that I haven't been able to edit the title or author on. When I do and try to open the file it says it is corrupted. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, has anyone figured out how to fix it?
tlstringfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlstringfellow View Post
A problem I have run into is that I have quite a few books that I haven't been able to edit the title or author on. When I do and try to open the file it says it is corrupted. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, has anyone figured out how to fix it?
Maybe it is a topaz book?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote