Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
DennyL
DennyL began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Problem with Coverflow - multiple identical covers!

I have just installed Calibre and I'm new to it. I added a many books and two News items. One news item appears in Coverflow as one cover, and the other appears as multiple identical covers, which I don't want.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Also, when I initially set up the news items I set frequency and time of updates, etc. I can't find how to get back to these settings to review or edit them. Does anyone know how?

Thank you for any suggestions.
DennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL View Post
I have just installed Calibre and I'm new to it. I added a many books and two News items. One news item appears in Coverflow as one cover, and the other appears as multiple identical covers, which I don't want.
It isn't clear what you are seeing, but if a book has no cover, you will see a default, and if it's a News ebook generated by recipe (and the recipe doesn't grab a suitable cover), you will see a default style cover, with the recipe name and date.

Quote:
Also, when I initially set up the news items I set frequency and time of updates, etc. I can't find how to get back to these settings to review or edit them. Does anyone know how?
The same page where you initially set it up - click the News fetch button, then select the recipe on the Scheduled list you want to change (left side). The details of the schedule will appear on the right side. Unchecking the scheduled box on the right side will remove it from the scheduled list
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
DennyL
DennyL began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Thank you for your suggestions, Starson17.

Of the News items I've installed both one is a newspaper and it shows a single generic cover, the other News item is a magazine and it shows the the actual cover that appears on the magazine, varying correctly from issue to issue. The problem is that it shows so many covers in Coverflow that it is threatening to outnumber all my other books. I want a single issue to be represented by one cover in Coverflow. I compared the tags of the newspaper and the magazine hoping that something in the tags would account for one item showing multiple covers and the other showing just one cover, but I couldn't see a difference. Which setting controls how many covers are shown??
DennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I compared the tags of the newspaper and the magazine hoping that something in the tags would account for one item showing multiple covers and the other showing just one cover, but I couldn't see a difference. Which setting controls how many covers are shown??
Covers are basic, if a recipe is able to grab a cover (this isn't always possible or provided by the site) from the newspaper or magazine they may or may not depending on the volunteer that created the recipe add a cover during the execution of the recipe. If a recipe does not provide a cover than one will be generated for it, see attached for example.

If you add a book and it has no cover a plain brown cover will be a temp place holder until you add a cover.

You might want to look at the Generate cover plugin.

Starson17 might be able to guide you through setting a cover manually in your recipes.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	77712  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Of the News items I've installed both one is a newspaper and it shows a single generic cover, the other News item is a magazine and it shows the the actual cover that appears on the magazine, varying correctly from issue to issue.
If no cover is specified in the recipe, you see a default. To specify a cover, the recipe will use one of these:
Code:
get_cover_url()
default_cover(cover_file)[source]
Quote:
The problem is that it shows so many covers in Coverflow that it is threatening to outnumber all my other books. I want a single issue to be represented by one cover in Coverflow.
It sounds like you want the opposite of what most people want. You want all issues to be the same cover? If so, you can either use the default, or find one you want to always use and specify it with one of the above. Just deleting the code that grabs the cover will be sufficient to use the default.

Quote:
I compared the tags of the newspaper and the magazine hoping that something in the tags would account for one item showing multiple covers and the other showing just one cover, but I couldn't see a difference.
It's not in the tags.

Quote:
Which setting controls how many covers are shown??
"How many" depends on how many ebooks you have from that recipe. I'm not discussing that. That depends on your settings in Calibre for how many issues to save. (On an ereader, it may depend on whether the save name is always the same or different - and that depends on the save title and whether the date is included.) "How many different covers" is what I think you are asking about and the two methods above control that.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-13-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
coverflow, news