Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
I swear I read a post in a forum someplace, (not here) where the person said they didn't enjoy reading, but they'd really like to write a novel. So tell me, could Mr. King have gotten it wrong?
No, Stephen King is a not wrong, but there are variations in the species. So the comment Mr. King makes is true in general case, but there will always be some outliers.

That being said - I suspect the writing of those that are not readers is weaker than it could be.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
And the chances are that neither will you ever read a novel written by someone who doesn't like to read. (I had to re-read this sentence three times to see if it made sense... Maybe I should be a novelist. I've still got a few years.)

Stitchawl
Go for it Stitch!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
I swear I read a post in a forum someplace, (not here) where the person said they didn't enjoy reading, but they'd really like to write a novel. So tell me, could Mr. King have gotten it wrong?
I wonder if the key there is the future tense, they only think they'd like to write one. They may have a different opinion when they actually sit down to it. Writing a novel a thing of imagination and of words, and (I believe) you have to be enthusiastic about both to make it work. If you're enthusiastic about both then you will read. And, on top of that, reading is the way you learn what works, what doesn't, and how to express yourself effectively and appropriately for the genre. Writing includes reading, if don't enjoy reading how are you going to assess what you've written? Anything that I write that doesn't work for me when I read it is an immediate fail, it doesn't get passed on to anyone else - so I have to be able to enjoy reading, it's a prerequisite for how I work.

Of course VydorScope could be right, perhaps there are some that break the general rule, but it's a truly alien thought to me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Of course VydorScope could be right, perhaps there are some that break the general rule, but it's a truly alien thought to me.

My degree in statistics requires me to accept the reality of outliers
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
And the chances are that neither will you ever read a novel written by someone who doesn't like to read. (I had to re-read this sentence three times to see if it made sense... Maybe I should be a novelist. I've still got a few years.)
Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Go for it Stitch!
I've been told by so many people that I ought to write my autobiography, but I just can't believe that anyone would be interested, or even pay hard-earned money to buy it. And this doesn't even address the issue of people believing it! I've lived it, and "I" don't believe most of it! I've written hundreds of magazine articles over the years, been a magazine columnist for many years, but still don't believe my writing would sell...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've been told by so many people that I ought to write my autobiography, but I just can't believe that anyone would be interested, or even pay hard-earned money to buy it. And this doesn't even address the issue of people believing it! I've lived it, and "I" don't believe most of it! I've written hundreds of magazine articles over the years, been a magazine columnist for many years, but still don't believe my writing would sell...

Stitchawl
If nothing else do it (as I did) just to get it all (or at least some of it) down in black and white for the family.....I've sold a few copies but that really isn't the reason I did it.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
If nothing else do it (as I did) just to get it all (or at least some of it) down in black and white for the family.....I've sold a few copies but that really isn't the reason I did it.
That's just what I was thinking. And who knows in the future when all of us are gone someone may want to research your life and having your autobiography to hand I imagine would be a great help there.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's just what I was thinking. And who knows in the future when all of us are gone someone may want to research your life and having your autobiography to hand I imagine would be a great help there.
...though how much of it would they be able to believe?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
...though how much of it would they be able to believe?
Well they might or might not believe the story of the rain-soaked windowpane acid being absorbed into my fingertips, making it's way up my arms to my brain and sending me on the trip of my life.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well they might or might not believe the story of the rain-soaked windowpane acid being absorbed into my fingertips, making it's way up my arms to my brain and sending me on the trip of my life.
Sounds like that window was a real pane kennyc.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
kennyc

Yep....in the middle of a lightning storm in tornado alley.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Windowpane and Blue Dot, Black Flats, Yellow Sunshine, Strawberry Fields, Purple Haze, Barrel, Peace Sign... day after day after day for months on end... Being a hippie was fun, if I remember correctly. According to people over 30 at the time, our brains should have melted and run out of our ears, and our children should have been born morons with two heads. Instead, our kids became 'straights' who graduated cum laude and are the engineers and pioneers of the new generation.

Yeah... no one would believe it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Windowpane and Blue Dot, Black Flats, Yellow Sunshine, Strawberry Fields, Purple Haze, Barrel, Peace Sign... day after day after day for months on end... Being a hippie was fun, if I remember correctly. According to people over 30 at the time, our brains should have melted and run out of our ears, and our children should have been born morons with two heads. Instead, our kids became 'straights' who graduated cum laude and are the engineers and pioneers of the new generation.

Yeah... no one would believe it.

Stitchawl
Guess ya had to be there.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Anyone who actually "remembers" the '60s wasn't really there.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Anyone who actually "remembers" the '60s wasn't really there.
I missed it. Wasn't born til Dec. of 1970.