Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #61
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Should e-readers "evolve" to be nothing more than glorified tablets or mobile phones, I wouldn't hesitate to use my K4 until it bites the dust, and then go back to calibre only¸ like before I bought my first e-reader.
hah, who are you kidding? going back to read on a LCD screen with a hot laptop atop your lap? If you accept reading on a LCD screen, why not a LCD screen the size of a book on your hands?

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 09-14-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #62
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
hah, who are you kidding? going back to read on a LCD screen with a hot laptop atop your lap? If you accept reading on a LCD screen, why not a LCD screen the size of a book on your hands?
I just prefer the simplicity of the basic functions of e-readers like my Kindle 4. And obviously, reading e-books on my computer isn't my first choice, but I just hope that standalone e-ink readers still remain over the years.

I've not yet had much experience with tablets, except what I've tried in store demos, and I don't think I'm the target demographic for them. They don't appeal very much to me, for whatever reasons. (I guess it's the touch screen functions)

I don't mind doing some reading on my netbook. I am typing this post right now on it, but it wouldn't be my first choice unless like I said, standalone e-ink readers became a thing of the past, a "former trend". I guess the actual possibility is a bit of a stretch, but I do hope the "basics" remain, to make e-reading accessible for all people.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #63
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I just prefer the simplicity of the basic functions of e-readers like my Kindle 4. And obviously, reading e-books on my computer isn't my first choice, but I just hope that standalone e-ink readers still remain over the years.

I've not yet had much experience with tablets, except what I've tried in store demos, and I don't think I'm the target demographic for them. They don't appeal very much to me, for whatever reasons. (I guess it's the touch screen functions)

I don't mind doing some reading on my netbook. I am typing this post right now on it, but it wouldn't be my first choice unless like I said, standalone e-ink readers became a thing of the past, a "former trend". I guess the actual possibility is a bit of a stretch, but I do hope the "basics" remain, to make e-reading accessible for all people.
you noticed you didn't really answer?

Given e-readers dead and given the choice of reading on a LCD tablet or on a LCD netbook, you'd be reading on a netbook?! That frankly makes no sense.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #64
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
It does
Netbooks are non-touch and those I know no glare.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #65
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
you noticed you didn't really answer?

Given e-readers dead and given the choice of reading on a LCD tablet or on a LCD netbook, you'd be reading on a netbook?! That frankly makes no sense.
Fair enough. I just don't care for tablets, but I like my netbook? Can't offer an explanation really, just I prefer what I prefer.

My netbook has a matte screen and I have seen people on the bus struggle or squint when a burst of sun glare hits their tablet's screen.... I've watched entire videos on my netbook on the bus with no problems.

And, also, keyboard vs touch screen. I so far haven't found many problems with my netbook.

Edited to add: The closest thing to a tablet I've used is a HipStreet e-reader (I bought it for my daughter and test drove it for her) which also takes videos. I tested a few videos riding on the bus, as well as a few epubs, and it was not as good an experience in reading as my netbook's screen.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #66
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I like my netbook more than Tablets as well it has a 10+ hour battery and matte led backlit screen, I do use my Samsung smart phone a lot and it has the advantage of always being on me but sometimes you just need a proper computer for tasks.

I just see Tablets as to fragile to really be used out and about and then theres the glare issue.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #67
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Trouble is, it's hard to find a netbook nowadays - tablets have driven them out of the market. I was looking for a little netbook for my son to have at school, and can't find one anywhere.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #68
spindlegirl
Wizard

The netbook I have is an Asus eeepc.(900 i think) It's the second one I've owned so far in the past 5 years. I still see that brand of netbooks in stores. Aren't they just like laptops, only cheaper and lower CPU etc? Tablets may be the new gizmo du jour, but I can't see them taking over... to me they seem to be like a different thing altogether for different functions. This is an actual computer with Debian Linux installed on it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I most certainly hope I'll still be able to have a netbook a few years down the road. I've yet to meet a tablet that I'd drop my precious eeepc for.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 09-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #69
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Headache with the Touch is I will be reading & suddenly it skips several pages either ahead or back! Lay it down come back its again 3-4 pages off! I spend a LOT of time trying to find my place again.... Very Flustrating! Sticking to my K3
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #70
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
The netbook I have is an Asus eeepc.(900 i think) It's the second one I've owned so far in the past 5 years. I still see that brand of netbooks in stores. Aren't they just like laptops, only cheaper and lower CPU etc? Tablets may be the new gizmo du jour, but I can't see them taking over... to me they seem to be like a different thing altogether for different functions. This is an actual computer with Debian Linux installed on it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I most certainly hope I'll still be able to have a netbook a few years down the road. I've yet to meet a tablet that I'd drop my precious eeepc for.
The initial eeepc came in winxp and linux flavours:
They had to upgrade the win box to 1 GB to make it usable, the linux box with half as much was nevertheless more performant
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #71
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Headache with the Touch is I will be reading & suddenly it skips several pages either ahead or back! Lay it down come back its again 3-4 pages off! I spend a LOT of time trying to find my place again.... Very Flustrating! Sticking to my K3
Sounds like the problem I had with my T1 when it first came out. I returned it & then bought another one when Sony came out with an update to fix that problem. I no longer have that problem with my T1. Not that I'm saying multi page turning is not likely to happen more than with button use.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #72
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Aren't they just like laptops, only cheaper and lower CPU etc?
CPU etc in netbooks is now rivaling laptops, and often beats laptops of just a few years ago.

The only coherent difference I've seen mentioned is that netbooks don't have CD drive. (No idea if that's a universal standard, but that's how it was described to me.)

Quote:
Tablets may be the new gizmo du jour, but I can't see them taking over... to me they seem to be like a different thing altogether for different functions.
Tablets are media consumption devices; netbooks/laptops/desktops are production devices.

Most people aren't actually involved in much computer-based production, so tablets are likely to become the dominant form over the next several years. However, authors don't write novels on tablets; movie-makers don't make films on them; accountants don't aggregate data from multiple spreadsheets on them; magazine editors don't do layout and photo-touchup on them.

There are probably isolated exceptions. One *could,* if necessary, do most (all?) of these things on a tablet. However, tablet software and hardware isn't well-designed for them, and isn't going to be; making them as versatile as computers would kill their main function: buy-and-play usability.

(I am keeping my PRS-505 active until it DIES because I dislike touchscreens, and the new BeBook is the only thing that seems to have the handful of features that matter to me--long battery life, file support for html or doc/rtf as well as an ebook format--and as far as I can tell, it's not sold in my country.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #73
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Sounds like the problem I had with my T1 when it first came out. I returned it & then bought another one when Sony came out with an update to fix that problem. I no longer have that problem with my T1. Not that I'm saying multi page turning is not likely to happen more than with button use.
It's interesting, but the only time my T1 does multiple page turns is when I'm using the buttons, it NEVER does it when I use the touch screens. Maybe I have a maverick device. My 350 and 950 are rock solid for page turning with either button or touchscreen.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #74
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
CPU etc in netbooks is now rivaling laptops, and often beats laptops of just a few years ago.

The only coherent difference I've seen mentioned is that netbooks don't have CD drive. (No idea if that's a universal standard, but that's how it was described to me.)
No CD drives in either of the 2 I have had, but USB ports, card slot (with adaptor for microUSD), wired plugin, headphone/speaker plug, quite a nice little computer. It'd bug the heck out of someone who wanted to play games where blazingly fast graphics were key, but for me, I just do my regular stuff on this and it suits me.

Yes, My husband says that there is faster CPU in the newer ones.

And yes, on a tablet, typing stuff like I do now would give me hand cramps. I like real keyboards, not some glorified texting gizmo.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #75
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Agreed. i have two notebooks with a 11.6 inch screens:

One has Core i5 with 6 gigs of RAM
the Second has Core i7 with 4 gigs of RAM..

Small and powerful with full keyboards...better for production in my opinion than a tablet..and the both way just over 1kilo each..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

Tablets are media consumption devices; netbooks/laptops/desktops are production devices.

Most people aren't actually involved in much computer-based production, so tablets are likely to become the dominant form over the next several years. However, authors don't write novels on tablets; movie-makers don't make films on them; accountants don't aggregate data from multiple spreadsheets on them; magazine editors don't do layout and photo-touchup on them.

format--and as far as I can tell, it's not sold in my country.)
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote