Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
converting footnotes in PDF

I see in the sticky that Calibre doesn't use the pdf table of contents and instead tries to build its own using heuristics. However, are footnotes dealt with in the same way (the sticking is a little bit unclear)?
If that's the case, what can I do to make the heuristics work better for the footnotes (I'm happy to loose the TOC).

In the PDF I'm working on all of the footnotes are indicated with an asterisk or double asterisk if there are two on one page.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There hasn't been any work done on footnote heuristics for any format conversions. In formats where they're well defined they're preserved by the normal conversion process. In formats like text, rtf, pdf, etc they'll just be merged into the main text.

There are only two decent options -- convert to ePub and fix in Sigil, or convert to text using Textile - I believe the Textile markup format will allow internal links - you could move things around relatively quickly that way and make the footnotes end-notes for each chapter.

Here's a thread on how to do it with Textile:
http://discuss.joyent.com/viewtopic.php?id=1378

Once the Textile doc is finished you can convert it to ePub/Mobi.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote