Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
DTY
DTY began at the beginning.

Device: Thinkpad X41 Tablet, Acer Iconia Tab A500Android Tablet
Anyone else having problems with Fictionwise purchases?

Hello all,
On 03/30/10, I purchased a Tablet PC to use as my reading device, my intention was to bulk download all my books (mostly drm'd), after doing so I discovered most weren't in the zip file. Tried again, same thing happened. I then tried to download books individually & was clicked to a page with the following message:

Error
Description : Error : Download is not authorized for this retailer.
Source : download.asp
Number : -1

The noted message pops up for Harper Collins & Simon & Schuster published books.

Penguin titles have this message:

The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later.

I sent an email to support on 3/31 & haven't received a reply yet.

Is anyone else having this problem and or have heard back from Fictionwise on a fix?

DTY
DTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
This is due to the move to the agency model.

See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78899
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78801
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78516
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78931

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
DTY

Thanx for the reply,
I'm looking to hear from a Fictionwise employee/lurker or someone who's received a reply on the same complaint/inquiry from Fictionwise.

I've been following all the assumptions (I'm a lurker) on the forum but as that I'm out service/use; and if the problem isn't resolved, money. I'd like a prompt response from Fictionwise or to hear from a forum reader who's heard/dealt directly with/from Fictionwise on my problem and the fix.

DTY
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I have found that fictionwise can take up to a week for a response... but they have always either fixed the problem or refunded my cost.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once the agency model is in place at FW, all your eBooks should be once again available for download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I have found that fictionwise can take up to a week for a response... but they have always either fixed the problem or refunded my cost.
I've also had excellent responses from Fictionwise in the past, after a short wait. In this case the wait might be longer as I imagine their inbox will have been inundated...

Graham
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Yup. I can't download content I've already bought.

"The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later."

The help page listed with the download error directs me to http://helpebook.com/

I don't see why downloading content I own should be affected by a new pricing model by the ebook cartel.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little more research. The book download is being blocked by Ingram Digital, the company responsible for the actual book download. fictionwise is just a retailer. fictionwise turns over the responsibility for delivering your book to you to Ingram Digital.

http://www.ingramdigital.com/

I don't know if other retailers use Ingram Digital or not. This could be a spat between fictionwise and ID or it could be an ID problem. If they are failing to deliver content for other retailers as well, this would seem to be an ID issue.

ID only services my MSReader books.
My books in mobipocket format are delivered by mobipocket.com.

Only some of the mobi ebook downloads are blocked.

An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe/(Macmillan) - is Blocked
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene/(Random House) is NOT blocked.

Last edited by Angst; 04-02-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Angst
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTY View Post
On 03/30/10, I purchased a Tablet PC ...
If everyone buying an Ipad is running into problems because they can't purchase/download/read books, this could turn into a really black eye for the publishing industry. Their timing is abysmal at best.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe/(Macmillan) - is Blocked
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene/(Random House) is NOT blocked.
The publishers imposing agency pricing, and affected by this are:
  • Macmillan
  • Simon & Schuster
  • Harper-Collins
  • Hachette
  • Penguin
and their subsidiaries.

Graham
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
DTY

losing a customer?

Interestingly enough I received my "Weekend Specials" e-mail and after quickly going through the titles the only "major" publisher offered is Random House. The sending of this marketing e-mail bothers me, time was spent sorting the books to offer yet you can't inform paying customers of service problems or delays or knock on wood, loss of titles from purchased libraries?

If there's any reader/lurker who works for Fictionwise/Barns & Noble, I've gotta tell ya, you're driving away a loyal customer, the longer this interruption lasts without an explanation, the better other stores are looking.

Anyone want to buy a FW 1150 reader and a Jetbook lite?

DTY
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Um, many other stores are having the same issues. It's not their fault, it's down to the publishers!
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Graham
Wizard

The most we can say Fictionwise are guilty of at this stage is a lack of communication. However, they've also got the most complex problem, IMO. In order to honour the spirit of their commitments to their Buywise club they would need to get the agency publishers to allow them to discount their books, which doesn't look likely to happen.

So Fictionwise need to get to the final answer on this, sort out their new contracts, perhaps talk to their programmers about what is actually possible going forward, etc.

They may not have said anything because they still don't know what they actually can say.

Graham
Old 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
Angst
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The publishers imposing agency pricing, and affected by this are:
  • Macmillan
  • Simon & Schuster
  • Harper-Collins
  • Hachette
  • Penguin
and their subsidiaries.

Graham
I can understand, (but not agree with), blocking new sales over pricing, but why block content I've already paid for?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Because access to that content is based on agreement between Fictionwise and the publishers as to how many times it can be downloaded, on what format and devices, etc.

When the publishers yank the agreement....
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote