Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
Question How's the 600 stack up against the competition?

I was a long time owner of a PRS-500, and would be still, except I think I left it on the airplane returning from a trip last year.

A friend gave me his original Kindle after upgrading, but other then the wireless downloading of books, I just haven't taken to it as much as the Sony.

Anyway, so I've been using my Sony card left and right to stock up reward points, and between that, and selling off a bunch of old computer parts, I've got the out of pocket cost down to an acceptable level for me, but before I pull the trigger and order a new 600, I'd like some honest feedback of how the Sony's are stacking up against the competition. When I got my PRS-500, the pickings were very slim(very nearly a market of 1 device in the US as I recall), and I haven't kept up as well other then high profile announcements like the Nook.

So what's the major +/- for the PRS-600 vs the compeition these days?

thanks!
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I too am wondering about this as I think I have narrowed it down to the 600.

I am still a bit worried about being able to read some of my technical (MS Excel & VBA) books that are in PDF or CHM. Can you see the excel tables OK etc etc.

The reader will be great as the original text books are so large your hands get tired holding them - specially when reading in bed.

SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Harry posted a comparison of the PRS600 and the BeBook Neo/Onyx (he has both), which said that he preferred the Neo overall. You could also consider a PRS900 (which is what I have), which has better epub rendering than the 600, a very slightly better screen, and is bigger (better for PDF, but still not great TBH due to physical size).

I'd be very tempted to go for a Neo if I were buying again right now.

On the other hand, in 6 months, things will have changed again, so my advice would be to find one you like and then ignore the market.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
If I were to "do it all again" as they say, I'd buy the PocketBook 302. Since I'm not in the market for a new ebook reader, I haven't researched it too much, so I'm not sure how the 302 supports DRM, and it's really convenient to have the Sony store available for newer books. The screen looks a lot better on the 302 and overall it has more features. It is also more expensive if I'm not mistaken.

I do love my 600 though, and I don't plan to replace it with anything else until it breaks.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Harry posted a comparison of the PRS600 and the BeBook Neo/Onyx (he has both), which said that he preferred the Neo overall. You could also consider a PRS900 (which is what I have), which has better epub rendering than the 600, a very slightly better screen, and is bigger (better for PDF, but still not great TBH due to physical size).

I'd be very tempted to go for a Neo if I were buying again right now.
Yes, as the owner of both a PRS-600 and a Neo, I think the Neo is significantly better. A much clearer screen, and full folder support, to name but two benefits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the info. I have a 120$ in points from my Sony card, so it'll be pretty difficult to sway me off buying a Sony reader. Though now I have been considering a 900. I wish my local Best Buy had one so I could see it in person though.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
There are only a few technical books in PDF format that I've been able to read in PDF format. The tables, indentations and graphics mean that the page ends up just too small on the book reader. The only thing I read on my Sony are books with pure text. Technical books I read on the computer which displays them much larger. Others may have either better eyesight or better luck.
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote