Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #841
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's one thing I prefer not to live with. I rather think the default Kindle font is ugly as sin. We'd be better off with Comic Sans.
Exactly which Kindle font are you talking about? Baskerville? Caecilia? Caecilia Condensed? Futura? Helvetica? or is it Palatino? I usually keep mine set to Helvetica, but in truth, the only time I notice a font is if I'm not too interested in the story.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #842
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The appearance of Kindle's default fonts aren't all that bad, but I've felt for years that they need another ratio in the gearbox. For me, the next to largest font size is too small and the largest is far too large.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #843
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Exactly which Kindle font are you talking about? Baskerville? Caecilia? Caecilia Condensed? Futura? Helvetica? or is it Palatino? I usually keep mine set to Helvetica, but in truth, the only time I notice a font is if I'm not too interested in the story.

Shari
Both Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed are ugly fonts. Palatino is not bad. I'd have to have a look at Baskerville to see how I'd like that one. Sans-serif I don't like for use in reading as the main font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #844
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try this new Hinted Charis SIL Modified Larger. You may like it better. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ga...r_-_Hinted.rar
Just for info: I tried this on my PW2 and couldn't tell the difference between this and your regular "Modified Larger" (which I love).

As for the built in fonts discussed, I didn't find the PW2 readable AT ALL until I switched to Charis. Different strokes etc.
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #845
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've tried the second font on my Kobo Mini. It is not much different from your Charis SIL Modified Larger. I will try it on my PW1 in a little bit.

edit - I like it on the PW. I use a larger font embedded into my books (since the font size choices are not adequate for me). It looks really good.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #846
hugo25
hugo25 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Hello,
I search Ceacilia ttf to install in Duokan. It is possible ?
hugo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #847
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo25 View Post
Hello,
I search Ceacilia ttf to install in Duokan. It is possible ?
Yes it is possible. At fonts.com you can buy the ttf version for $35.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #848
hugo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes it is possible. At fonts.com you can buy the ttf version for $35.
Thanks but the font is already install (payed?) on kindle, it is possible to import from kindle to duokan ?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #849
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thanks but the font is already install (payed?) on kindle, it is possible to import from kindle to duokan ?
It is paid for to use with the Kindle software. Not licensed any other way. You could grab the font from your Kindle since you have to hack it to get Duokan on it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #850
hugo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is paid for to use with the Kindle software. Not licensed any other way. You could grab the font from your Kindle since you have to hack it to get Duokan on it.
Ok, thanks for the information
So, there exist font which can download for free and look like Ceacilia ?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #851
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hugo25: Many, they're called Slab Serifs
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #852
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the information
So, there exist font which can download for free and look like Ceacilia ?
Lexia dama is extremely similar to caecilia.
Can be downloaded from numerous places.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #853
emerson
emerson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen.)
Since this seems to be the main font thread, I'll try to ask here...

I use a custom font* on my Kindle Keyboard. It works flawlessly with most content, but not all. Articles from the web (sent through Amazon’s and Readability’s Send to Kindle add-ons for Chrome) are always displayed with the default font (Caecilia) – even though the menu shows “alt” as the selected font.

Questions:

1. Why does it happen?

2. Is there any way to make the custom font work with articles from the web?

Thanks in advance!

* Answering the thread question, my font is Palatino eText.
emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #854
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the eBook is a KF8 eBook, load it into Calibre and have a look at the XML/CSS code using the Book editor. If it's Mobi, the only thing you can do is convert to AZW3 and then have a look at the code and see what's up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #855
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry to dig an old thread up (especially my own) but there doesn't seem to be any thread on fonts you guys are currently using. What fonts do you favor now?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote