Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
RobertP
RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My books don't appear at all!

I have a Kindle Paperwhite I bought 2 months ago from the states, but I live in Canada. The problem is that I put books in .mobi format on the reader, when connected to the computer in USB format, and when I disconnect it, the books do not appear on the kindle. If I check "Device" it says "All items (0)" and but when I go to "Docs" it does show one or two books, but that's it. There are a lot more books on it, maybe about 15. When I re-connect it to the computer by USB, the books are all still there in the documents folder, but they don't appear on the kindle. Why does this happen?

More information: The first month or so, it worked fine. It was able to read all books just fine. But then I had to de-register it and register another account because it wasn't the right name, and that's when this problem started. After a while, I de-registered it again and re-registered it under the original account, and it still does the same thing.

The last few times, I turned on Airplane mode so that it doesn't connect to the internet at all. The same thing keeps happening. I don't understand. Can someone help me? Thank you.
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would do a factory reset then registered it to the right account and then try to add the books again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If they are .mobi books obtained from somewhere other than Amazon, it won't make a difference what account the device is registered to, or if it is registered at all. Airplane mode is irrelevent.

Check if there are any odd characters in the filenames of the ebooks that you put on the Kindle. I'd remove any character that isn't a letter or number from all filenames.

A restart done via the menu might help. A factory reset would be the next step if a regular restart doesn't work.

If that all fails, the next thing I would do is import the books into Calibre, convert them to .mobi (even though they are already in that format), and transfer them to the Kindle using Calibre.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 02-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Also are you sure you put the books in the right folder? If they aren't put in the documents folder then they probably won't show up as being on the reader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Yeah, check the folders.

Otherwise, maybe you have a bunch of corrupt files.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
RobertP
RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have done a factory reset before I opened this thread. Well, if by factory reset you mean the 'Reset Device' option under the 'Settings' menu. It did not fix the problem.

All the .mobi files are in the 'Documents' folder and I don't think they are named weirdly. All of them worked fine for a month or so, and they were in the same directory and named the same as they are now. Most of them were already created using Calibre (I had to convert most of them from ePub format).

Tomorrow I will try a few more things, maybe another reset. I will also try transferring the books to the device using Calibre, and maybe re-converting them again before that.
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm.. I would remove them all.

and then add one. That I KNEW worked. test the index.
then repeat with stuff I was "less sure off"

perhaps a "newly" added title cause the failure? Total and utter guesswork.

It's always easier/better to work from a known set of variables.
remove calibre from the equation.

Do the titles get listed in things like HACKED UP READER?

that might indicate that in fact it is your system/indexes that got corrupted somehow

I am no expert in this area. but if feels like mangled indexing.

Using a 3rd party app that DOESNT rely in Amazons Indexing could confirm that.
hope that helps.

I note that https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=51 there appears to be a lot of noise about the latest indexer not being super solid.

Last edited by twobob; 02-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
kzod
kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW
I also vote that it's one bad file mixed in there. I had a bad Mobi that made all of my books disappear.
kzod is offline   Reply With Quote